Author Topic: MegaTen  (Read 4767 times)

Offline yagosik

MegaTen
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:09:38 pm »
I've noticed that there is no Shin Megami Tensei thread. So I decided to change it. Let's fight demons together!

Actually, I just wanted to ask is it a good idea to buy SMT IV if I liked Persona series, but I still think that MegaTen thread is worth existing here.

Offline AkioKlaus

Re: MegaTen
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »
FE:A is worth it
which makes SMT4 worth 30 dollars.

I enjoyed story alot.
Currently- No good college game design student, too much anime in life
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:55 pm »
I enjoyed Shin Megami Tensei IV quite a bit more than I enjoyed any of the Persona games I've played. I'd say it's well worth experiencing. Of course, it's a matter of taste, and the games are sort of in two different series, so liking one won't necessarily mean you'll like or dislike the other. Have you played any of the other SMT games? If so, you'll likely feel similarly toward Shin Megami Tensei IV. Regardless, I suggest getting it and trying it out. If you're fine with the idea of dying whenever you're not prepared for everything, you'll have fun. Game's a bit less cruel than the earlier games as well since you can actually save anywhere now instead of losing hours of progress when you're far away from a save point.

Also recruit Alice as soon as possible because she is just the best demon in the world.

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:51 am »
Hee-ho

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 03:52:41 pm »
Megaten is probably one of my favourite franchises after Fire Emblem.

And on SMT IV I can say I share your dilemma. As an European I decided to not buy it after all that mockery of a release, and since my backlog is still extremely huge I still have not felt the need. But as a fan of SMT I'm kinda wavering.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline yagosik

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:56:23 pm »
Well, I decided to buy it because it had a discount on e-shop but right now I am more hooked on map drawing.

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 06:09:09 am »
They have discounts for their games so often that there's basically no point to buying them when they're not on sale. Just wait a week and there's another sale. Still awesome though and you'll like it as soon as you get around to it. Hopefully.

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 10:27:09 pm »
They have discounts for their games so often that there's basically no point to buying them when they're not on sale. Just wait a week and there's another sale. Still awesome though and you'll like it as soon as you get around to it. Hopefully.

Europe. ATLUS seems to think we're a mystical continent that sometimes appear on maps, like Atlantis.

Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 11:37:04 pm »
Europe. ATLUS seems to think we're a mystical continent that sometimes appear on maps, like Atlantis.
To be fair, that was Atlus under Index, where the handling of the company and its franchises was so ridiculous that they managed to sell the entire online gaming branch of Atlus USA (along with its publishing rights for SMT Online) to Marvelous/XSEED.

The handling of Persona Q, by Atlus under Sega Sammy, does indicate that Atlus may finally recognise the existence of the "PAL" regions once more.

Offline Pal

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 12:01:23 am »
...Atlus may finally recognise the existence of the "PAL" regions once more.
I has my own regions? ???

:D

*goes to rule PAL regions*

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 07:07:53 am »
To be fair, that was Atlus under Index, where the handling of the company and its franchises was so ridiculous that they managed to sell the entire online gaming branch of Atlus USA (along with its publishing rights for SMT Online) to Marvelous/XSEED.

The handling of Persona Q, by Atlus under Sega Sammy, does indicate that Atlus may finally recognise the existence of the "PAL" regions once more.

I got my Persona Q, but it was NISA who released it here. I hope they continue their relation. While NISA has received some flak in America for some decisions, they are one of the few niche companies that hasn't entirely forgotten about "PAL" regions.

And the handling of SMT IV was bad from beginning to end, even when Atlus had already passed to Sega's hands. The last two delays (from Summer to September, and from September to ends of October) were particularly bad, specially since we didn't even get the translation that was supposed to be the blame of the delays, so the only thing that could justify it was that after a year and a half they still hadn't converted the game and properly debugged it (something that a small company like NISA can do in 2 months or less).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:10:00 am by Marx-93 »

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:32 am »
I got my Persona Q, but it was NISA who released it here. I hope they continue their relation. While NISA has received some flak in America for some decisions, they are one of the few niche companies that hasn't entirely forgotten about "PAL" regions.
You're right there. I suppose Persona 4 Arena Ultimax would have been a more appropriate comparison. Or more recently, Citizens of Earth (even if it's not SMT, and a Western game).

And the handling of SMT IV was bad from beginning to end, even when Atlus had already passed to Sega's hands. The last two delays (from Summer to September, and from September to ends of October) were particularly bad, specially since we didn't even get the translation that was supposed to be the blame of the delays, so the only thing that could justify it was that after a year and a half they still hadn't converted the game and properly debugged it (something that a small company like NISA can do in 2 months or less).
I don't think it's really fair to expect Sega to be able to turn Atlus around immediately, especially not when it had been as badly mismanaged as it was under Index. Besides, the takeover didn't officially happen until November 1, 2013 (less than 12 months before SMT IV's PAL release), and Sega had only effected its separation/restructuring of Atlus and Index at April 1, 2014 (about 7 months before SMT IV's PAL release).

We simply have no way of knowing how much work was started, then ultimately abandoned due to lack of quality, nor how many landmines Sega might have needed to disarm or work around before work on SMT IV was ready to be restarted.

Offline yagosik

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 06:37:13 pm »
Ooooooooh, Atlus released new trailer for P5.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kotF62s1NBA

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 06:39:04 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNQD6QcvDtI

listen to the groove while at it.

knew it SMT is less popular than persona
Currently- No good college game design student, too much anime in life
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline yagosik

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 04:33:13 am »
At least SMT is more popular, than Etrian Odyssey.