Author Topic: A Passionate Letter To The Devs; PLEASE Include This In The Next Episode  (Read 5207 times)

Offline NinjaDork

Given what happens if you choose either the command or the wishall option (I don't know how to make spoiler tags, so I'll try not to actually reveal it), I had a proposal for a little something to add to the next (third) episode.

If you have so far managed to keep the Wishall (but you chose the command option), there should be a a choice scene with Kayto brooding in his cabin over what happened to Ava, and you have the choice of using the wishall to go back in time a little bit so that it's Kayto making the run instead of Ava.

There should be a short set of choice scenes where you decide how you get around the obstacles, and when you complete the run and accomplish the objective, there should be a scene with swirly, generic time-warp special effects, and you reappear in your cabin with Ava completely fine (though confused) down in the sickbay and all of the consequences transferred to you. 

The game will continue after that, with dialogue changing as appropriate to reflect your new state (including a heart-to-heart scene with Ava and the crew about why you did something so foolish); plus, you will get a new option for winning Cosette over to your side.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

As for why I think this all should be a necessary part of the next episode...

Taking down the Legion is a huge deal, and given the situation at the time, it would be ridiculously cheesy to give you that option without requiring a major sacrifice  :-\

Which is why when I first went through that part, I spent a solid minute searching for the option to send my character (kayto) after the objective, and another fifteen minutes or so raging about how the devs didn't give me that option. 

I have been wrist-deep in another person's blood (first aid emergency), and it was horrific.  It was bad in a similar way (not as intense) realizing that it was either sacrifice the Alliance or sacrifice Ava.

If I had the skills to do it, I would write, code, and illustrate EVERYTHING I've described and send it to you as a complete package.

But I can't code-program w/o step-by-step instructions, and my visual artistic skills are even worse.

So, here's my offer.  If you wish to include my proposal in the next episode (with the Cosette option coming in later episodes) and your team provides the coding and illustrations, I will write every single line of dialogue, every single scene description, every single choice, and every single thing necessary to make my proposal a natural, thoroughly integrated part of the game.

I already have a rough draft ready to send if you want to review it  ;D

Offline Samu-kun

Re: A Passionate Letter To The Devs; PLEASE Include This In The Next Episode
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:11:23 pm »
Unfortunately this will not happen because it breaks the established rule with the Wishall. The Wishall CANNOT be used to travel back in time and only opens up alternative acts at a time simultaneous to the current time. Or else Shields would just go back in time before PACT invaded Cera and warn everyone. Or go back in time before Fontana used the trap in Ongess and prepare forces to intercept Cosette's bomber wing. Or go back in time to push Kyoko out of the line of fire during the Ongess rescue. Or do whatever else would be convenient in hindsight.

Science fiction items which allow travel to the past absolutely destroys plot logic, and cannot be introduced unless you're reeeaalllly brave.

Offline Psieye

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:57 pm »
Indeed, the simplest solution to so many people misunderstanding the Wishall is to just remove it from the game - you get a lump sum of cash for killing the nightmares.

OP, sounds like you have a fanfic idea. Go write it. Who knows? You just might impress Samu-kun enough that he's influenced by it. "But it might not become part of the game" is no reason to extinguish your passion for writing out these scenes in your head.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:24:05 pm by Psieye »

Offline NinjaDork

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:05:30 am »
Unfortunately this will not happen because it breaks the established rule with the Wishall. The Wishall CANNOT be used to travel back in time and only opens up alternative acts at a time simultaneous to the current time. Or else Shields would just go back in time before PACT invaded Cera and warn everyone. Or go back in time before Fontana used the trap in Ongess and prepare forces to intercept Cosette's bomber wing. Or go back in time to push Kyoko out of the line of fire during the Ongess rescue. Or do whatever else would be convenient in hindsight.

OP, sounds like you have a fanfic idea. Go write it. Who knows? You just might impress Samu-kun enough that he's influenced by it. "But it might not become part of the game" is no reason to extinguish your passion for writing out these scenes in your head.

Psieye, I appreciate the sentiment, but this is actually a pretty serious problem for me.

There's no real logic behind it, but I don't write stories that re-arrange an established setting.  I only write stories that;

A)  Expand upon a current setting/sequence of events
B)  Create a new setting/sequence of events
C)  Introduces something new to a particular setting

To me, it feels like disrespect to re-write someone else's story, and I hate doing that unless the story hits a weird balance between utterly worthless and vague potential.

What I'd like to do is make a mod that fulfills my proposal (either by time travel or some alternate means), but as mentioned previously, I can't code worth a shit, and I don't know anyone who would be willing to code it for me.  :'(

I'll post a fanfic on the topic of this particular post within the next day or so, but unless either someone steps forward and offers to code and illustrate this mod for me (or the devs change their mind), you've basically scrapped my entire proposal between the rules of the wishall and my strange personal preferrences.  Personally, this inability to prevent or even partially repair the damage caused by the Legion battle is going to lower the game's quality in my opinion.

Maybe I'm getting too worked up over this, but watching other people take a hit for me in ANY setting, real life or otherwise, is really, really hard on me.

<><><><><><>

EDIT: Several ninja edits to be more coherent.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 12:17:20 am by NinjaDork »

Offline Pal

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 12:39:16 am »
The Wishall CANNOT be used to travel back in time and only opens up alternative acts at a time simultaneous to the current time.
Would this not make it possible to use the wishall in that moment to switch places with ava?

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline NinjaDork

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:45 am »
The Wishall CANNOT be used to travel back in time and only opens up alternative acts at a time simultaneous to the current time.
Would this not make it possible to use the wishall in that moment to switch places with ava?

That was my first thought, and honestly the option I prefer.  But that would require the dev team to go back and rewrite the second episode to include that option, and while I would still be perfectly willing to write all of the dialogue and scenes in that case, I was fairly certain that this idea would be shot down, which is why I went with plan B (the first post in this thread).

Would you devs seriously consider this option?

EDIT; for those keeping score, this would fall under option C of my story types.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:28:43 am by NinjaDork »

Online Marx-93

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 08:47:27 am »

Yeah, but I think that's something Ava wouldn't let you do ever. And for once, she's right. Sacrificing the operational and tactical commander in any battle is absurd and always causes a lot more problems than good. If the enemy was only the Legion then it would make sense, but with Arcadius super-weapon and part of his army still behind it the battle was far from finished.

There's no alternative possible to that, since Ava would never let you do it. The only possibility is the one in which Ava is already dead.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline NinjaDork

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 12:45:11 pm »

Yeah, but I think that's something Ava wouldn't let you do ever. And for once, she's right. Sacrificing the operational and tactical commander in any battle is absurd and always causes a lot more problems than good. If the enemy was only the Legion then it would make sense, but with Arcadius super-weapon and part of his army still behind it the battle was far from finished.

There's no alternative possible to that, since Ava would never let you do it. The only possibility is the one in which Ava is already dead.

Actually, not only is there an alternative possible, but that alternative is already implemented in the game.  You have the option of walking away from Legion entirely and leaving it behind to slaughter the Alliance, saving your own ship and crew (and Ava).

So not to put too fine a point on it, your entire post is invalid, because not only does that option exist,  but if you choose it, Ava will go back and forth for a while, but she will choose to stay with you on the bridge.  SHE WILL NOT SACRIFICE HERSELF unless you use command or the wishall to force her to.

Also, there's no particular reason why you can't just use the wishall before Ava has time to stop you-it's not like it has a charge-up time or anything.

Finally, consider that the entire purpose of an XO position is to back up the Leader, and to FILL IN FOR HIM/HER if (s)he's incapacitated.  It would literally be the exact ordinary thing for the commander to get knocked out and for the XO to step in and fill the Commander's slot.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:11:16 pm by NinjaDork »

Offline Pal

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 01:30:27 pm »
Finally, consider that the entire purpose of an XO position is to back up the Leader, and to FILL IN FOR HIM/Her is (s)he's incapacitated.  It would literally be the exact ordinary thing for the commander to get knocked out and for the XO to step in and fill the Commander's slot.
Shocking truth, ava wants the harem all to herself, so she gets kayto to pull the lever and die! XD

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline NinjaDork

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 02:20:26 pm »
Finally, consider that the entire purpose of an XO position is to back up the Leader, and to FILL IN FOR HIM/Her is (s)he's incapacitated.  It would literally be the exact ordinary thing for the commander to get knocked out and for the XO to step in and fill the Commander's slot.
Shocking truth, ava wants the harem all to herself, so she gets kayto to pull the lever and die! XD

... ... ... ... ... ...

In all seriousness though, while it would be perfectly in-setting to have Kayto maimed from that run, it wouldn't work story-wise if you killed him off.

Offline Pal

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 04:41:36 pm »
Sure it would. After all, you're not play the game as kayto shields, you are the sunrider!

Offline NinjaDork

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 07:10:54 pm »
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you are playing the game from the battleship's perspective.  Considering that you repeatedly make decisions as Kayto Shields, I don't think that's true.

Offline GreatWyrmGold

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 07:18:41 pm »
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that you are playing the game from the battleship's perspective.  Considering that you repeatedly make decisions as Kayto Shields, I don't think that's true.
While this is true, continuing the story from (say) Ava's point of view would be possible. It would pretty much kill romance possibilities, though, since Captain Shields appears to be the only male on board the Sunrider.

Offline Psieye

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 06:20:46 am »
So not to put too fine a point on it, your entire post is invalid, because not only does that option exist,  but if you choose it, Ava will go back and forth for a while, but she will choose to stay with you on the bridge.  SHE WILL NOT SACRIFICE HERSELF unless you use command or the wishall to force her to.
You are too hasty to dismiss his post for having found a tiny flaw in semantics. Not unexpected given this is a really touchy subject for you. In deference to that, I won't add to Marx-93's argument. But I disagree on your assessment of Ava: I believe she would have sacrificed herself (while disobeying orders) but was restrained by Kayto's words. She was hardly forced into action, she just wanted permission to leave her post to do what she felt right.

Offline Pal

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 12:01:17 am »
While this is true, continuing the story from (say) Ava's point of view would be possible. It would pretty much kill romance possibilities, though, since Captain Shields appears to be the only male on board the Sunrider.

And we now have proof you two can't take a joke. :-\