Author Topic: Battle Engine  (Read 12979 times)

Offline BlackZero

Re: Battle Engine
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 02:23:58 pm »
I guess you're not in for a double-stuffed ending I see.

Somehow when I think of pure air, I think of air in a jar. (https://uk.news.yahoo.com/china-jar-french-mountain-air-fetches-860-061616502.html) That or air that lights on fire for being awesome.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 03:51:39 pm by BlackZero »
“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...”
― Albert Schweitzer

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 11:06:43 pm »
An update on what some of the battle engine art looks like.

I'm afraid the demo will be the first time you guys get to experience the battle engine. I've been promised some coding should arrive in the next week or so whilst UI and some other things are being toggled with. Once I begin to receive code more regularly, I'll put up some gameplay videos so you can see the battle engine under way as well as one or two regular VN scenes.
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 11:59:05 pm »
As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the battle system in motion (and believe me, I am looking forward to it) I think I'm equally interested in seeing some more story segments. There's a certain charm to the characters and interactions of My Little Dictator that I really enjoy. That said, bring on some battles to the death! Those are always fun.

I also like the map in the image, my favorite part being the trees that bend over to overlap with other tiles. I really like all the trees and grass and bushes and stuff, though. Looks really nice. The stones making up the road sections look really good, too.

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:51 am »
Is there going to be a terrain effect? Like if you put your unit behind a rock, the rock can give a bit of protection from the enemy fire.

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 12:28:26 am »
As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the battle system in motion (and believe me, I am looking forward to it) I think I'm equally interested in seeing some more story segments. There's a certain charm to the characters and interactions of My Little Dictator that I really enjoy.
Thank you :) I hope both the battle segments and the regular story will be fun for you guys.

Is there going to be a terrain effect? Like if you put your unit behind a rock, the rock can give a bit of protection from the enemy fire.
Yes, certain objects like rocks etc. will give cover from certain weapons. There are also terrain effects such as sand/mud/water etc. that will affect units differently.
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 02:54:23 am »
The only gameplay I've seen so far was the stuff in the demo. This is quite the upgrade to that I though.

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 06:34:34 pm »
Things continue to progress on this front.
Artwork will now start on named characters like Hitora and Yamato so very exciting!
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 06:50:32 pm »
I notice the lines have been removed. Are they forever, or will there be an option to turn them on and off? Also, the new squares showing movement and that X for targeting all look nice. I do wish the image were a bit bigger, maybe the same size as the last, if only to compare the two side-by-side. Still, it looks like things are moving along at a good pace, and I can't wait to see the characters.

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 11:04:38 pm »
I can't wait to see the main characters battle sprites:D

Offline Yamato

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 06:24:11 am »
I fully expect to lose countless missions senselessly charging at tanks, Katana at hand.

As video games should be.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 08:54:39 am »
I prefer to swim at tanks...

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 11:37:02 pm »
Gorchnik prefers throwing ROCKS!

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 09:56:01 pm »
I notice the lines have been removed. Are they forever, or will there be an option to turn them on and off?
The programmer mentioned it could be a feature to have the grid as an optional feature to turn on or off.
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 10:23:29 pm »
Awesome. I've always liked being able to choose, depending on how I'm currently feeling. Not a big thing, but it certainly never hurts to have the option.

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 01:44:32 pm »
Been a while since an update so I'll show you the preview for the unit selection screen. The idea is that prior to battles, you select your lineup, rather than have a selection forced on you. The Command tab feature 'commanders', or named characters in your party, such as Yamato, Hitora etc. The Soldiers tab features your riflemen, bazookas, sniper rifles, medics and terrain-specific units as well as additional units. The Machinery tab (name may be changed) features tanks and other vehicles/machines. The Upgrades tab features upgrades that last the course of the battle. In place of a currency system, instead, you use Command Points or CP. Each unit will cost you a certain amount of CP, so you can choose to have more of a less expensive unit or splash out on some high quality units but have fewer of them. Hopefully AI enemies will be tooled so you have to work out specific combinations that work (especially for bosses). This combined with elemental types, terrain, and HP differences between you and your enemy, should make for an interesting experience. The unit selection screen also has a planned feature where you can select your formations for the battle ahead. The choices are Standard, Blitzkrieg, Assault and Defensive. Selecting one of these will affect the order of your Soldiers, Machinery and Command units and which comes first in their line by line formations. So for instance, Blitzkrieg would place your tanks and machinery in the front, with Soldiers following close behind and your Command units at the back. Selecting units on their information buttons will bring up an information window, containing basic info on the unit you're selecting. In the bottom right hand corner, Hitora shows up with a Hintbox, giving the player suggestions about what to do.

DesertFox
WarGirl Games