Author Topic: Maybe A far Future Anime?  (Read 2325 times)

Offline VoidSins

Maybe A far Future Anime?
« on: July 25, 2015, 03:21:35 am »
As a huge fan of Sunrider for both its story and gameplay, I can only ask myself, If this were to be an Anime just how amazing would it be? An Anime of this series would be awesome in a lot of ways but of course the games are good enough. However even so I can't help but ask if there might be one in the fare far future? The probability is low, I know, but still I had to say it and see what others thought of it too. I know others have talked about it before however now that Sunrider is becoming more popular since the days of first arrival, I had thought that I might suggest or ask about the matter.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 03:29:08 am by VoidSins »
TGA

Offline The Loli Assassin

Re: Maybe A far Future Anime?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 03:43:12 am »
The only way a Sunrider anime would ever happen would be interest from a major production company, or a massive Kickstarter' neither of which seem to be terribly likely. Alternatively it could be possible for a very basic animated series to be done using the 3D game assets and some sprite animation, but even this would be a lot of work.
"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 08:36:37 am »
a single anime episode costs well over 3 times as much money to make as the entire sunrider budget... (and that won't even get you particularly good quality like ufotable or kyoani puts out)

so it seems extremely unlikely xD
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline BlackStarLine

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 08:36:55 pm »
I think it's all just luck of the draw... If one of teh big anime companies thinks it would be a good project then I don't see why it couldn't happen... I mean look at all the manga that gets animated... I'm sure the manga artists don't have the kind of budget to support it.

Offline Jynx

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:59:03 am »
I think it's all just luck of the draw... If one of teh big anime companies thinks it would be a good project then I don't see why it couldn't happen... I mean look at all the manga that gets animated... I'm sure the manga artists don't have the kind of budget to support it.

Lots of mangas get animated because part of multi-media projects. Apart from that, what you say is not impossible, yet very unlikely: why would a Japanese anime company lay his eyes on a Western VN, when there're much more popular works available? Unless Sunrider gets very popular there (is LibDay getting a Jap translation? That'd be a starting point), I feel there're slim chances in that respect.

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:32:08 pm »
if someone gets japanese publisher contacted, (bad idea in long run maybe but really no other way) and get it published there, and then have bandai purchase all merchandise rights, and then maybe the show will have possible profit for making an animation.

but bandai would easily find another way to advertise sunrider mechs cheaper than animation etc.

random animation company in USA or europe is much better idea.
and this will still most likely be fanservice that shreds budget with no profit D:
Currently- No good college game design student, too much anime in life
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:34:59 pm »
While most of the important points have already been made, it's also important to point that animes hardly make enough money to be good inversions. While 60% of them roughly manage to recoup the costs, for most of them this is a lengthy process requiring various years, maybe a western release and an OVA or 2. Each season may have from 1 to 3 hits that make good money, but right now we have from 10 to 15 animes per season. Banking everything on it being a hit is pretty hard if you're not named Kyoani or Ufotable.

Which is why the current animes almost all have some kind of original material. While making profit from purely anime is hard, if you use that anime to promote the original material, in the end the overall result may be green. This is what motivates some companies that own the original material to fund X or Y anime; even if they only sell around 3000 Blurays per volume, if the sales of the Light novel duplicates (as a data, an existing anime, even if not popular raises the sales of a Light novel to 2 or even 3-fold), then it may end good for you. For mechs anime it tends to be Gunplas or other similar toys, etc

But Sunrider  has the first 2 parts being freeware, and the third part likely to be less than 20$. Even if some giant bought LiS (and Samu-kun rolls in money), there's barely any money to be made of the original Sunrider. They could try to push for a merchandise line, but it would be all on them and extremely risky; they wouldn't be banking on an already existing product to promote. For that, they may as well simply make their own animation.

If Sunrider gets a Japanese localization and somehow becomes a hit, then there's a small possibility, but first it would have to become a hit on the level of SRW or Muv-luv before even being able to think on the far-flegded possibility of some kind of anime adaptation.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline WhydidIbuytheunionfrigate

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 08:21:35 pm »
Boo me if you want, but I'd prefer if Sunrider stays localized for the West. Don't get me wrong, I really love Japan. However, if a project like Sunrider could extend its influence through the net into Japan and prove its popularity, it could inspire other indie game companies into trying to create Japanese styled games in the US. (Potentially, Japan might feel like buying our stuff for once.)

(Also, I'm jealous and mad that it takes freaking ages to get English versions of games and anime into the US. Praise free translations!)
FE Games Played (Finished): Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Binding Blade
FE Games Playing (or hiatus): Sacred Stones, Genealogy of the Holy War, Conquest
Most influential games/series: Valkyria Chronicles, Nier: Automata, Spec Ops: The Line
Worst Endgame in a Video Game I've played: FE Binding Blade (normal)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BAleNswfujYs6IuWpqzypDTqJY2_J3Av/view?usp=sharing (I made a NAO robot dance Hare Hare Yukai!)

Offline Verthand

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:29:27 am »
Who knows, maybe one day in the far future, like our new friend said?

Samu-kun just posted on his blog (https://www.patreon.com/posts/2514714) about how VN companies make tons of monneyz by selling low budget eroge; they can get a crazy 10 to 100 times return of the development cost. Im not a economy genius, but hey i never heard of any kind of investment u get 100 times the monneyz u put in it in such a short time.

Like he said, VNs and Eroges industry are like a gold rush. Ppl that like eroges can easily notice how often a new crappy eroge (fap material) is released, but good VNs arent release that often, since they cost a lot more to make. They put a lil investment on fap material, raises funds with them, then use the monneyz for the dream VN.

Maybe Samu-kun should create a "Sex in Space" studio and make tonz of monneyz then gives us the Sunrider anime one day!

If our dear Mr Game Developer and his crew are lucky, maybe they will get their fair share of this gold rush for their hard work. I rly hope they do!

woolyshambler [Sep 09, 2015, 04:28:48 PM]:   don't let anyone say i don't love you vert.
Amber Lee Connors [VOICE] [Jan 27, 2016, 10:23:00 PM]: Dominatrix Ava is now canon in my heart.
WeAreTheMeta [Oct 11, 2016, 06:22:37 pm]: I shall rewrite the constitution so that France become a loligarchy!
Deeox2 [Oct 17, 2016, 04:32:39 pm]: I'm pretty sure Eli is fucking literally everyone in WoolRPG, mang.

Offline Drath

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 03:55:56 am »
Samu-kun just posted on his blog (https://www.patreon.com/posts/2514714) about how VN companies make tons of monneyz by selling low budget eroge; they can get a crazy 10 to 100 times return of the development cost. Im not a economy genius, but hey i never heard of any kind of investment u get 100 times the monneyz u put in it in such a short time.

Not sure on 100x the initial investment but looking at Sakura Spirit and its sequels, it looks to me like they're doing pretty well: http://steamspy.com/dev/Winged+Cloud
200k+ owners for Sakura Spirit alone for USD10 each is 2 million USD!! Add on the other titles (some just recently released) and there's quite a good deal of profit to be had there. Pretty sure the development for Sakura Spirit isn't anywhere near 2 million USD. Its mostly art, a very very basic story and essentially no gameplay.
And the devs there can come up with sequels fast (5-6 month intervals) because the core of the game is basically fap material suggestive art. They're mostly reviewed/rated as 1/10 at VNsnow but that doesn't stop people from buying/enjoying them.
http://vnsnow.com/2014/08/sakura-spirit-review/
http://vnsnow.com/2015/06/sakura-fantasy-chapter-1-review/

So yea, there is of course the monetary aspect of products, which devs should certainly take note of. But I also think there is the quality aspect of things, "making something memorable" and "making something that is true to your vision and that you can be proud of, years down the line".

Also, I wouldn't really recommend that Sunrider go down this route, or nobody would be able to do battles at Captain difficulty/higher, as its obvious that you need enough blood flow to the brain to come up with proper strategies :P

If it was a Sunrider anime, that would be fine though xD

So yea, sorry for the tangential rant but back on topic, of course I'd like to see a Sunrider anime. But right now I'm more concerned about seeing a good Liberation Day get made.

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 07:08:33 am »
As an advice, we should take Samu-kun's post with a pinch of salt (for example, he says that article on gamasutra was written on 2012, but that same article references Roomates, which was released on 2014 and several other things that happened in 2013 as "in the past")  . I for example would change "sex" for suggestive art and fanservice. Explicit sex would mean that the game can't go on Steam, and if the game can't go on Steam then it can't make crazy buckets of money. Sakura Spirit though is definitely the model in these kind of tittles: barely 3 hours of length, only fanservice CGs and extremely minimal choices (or maybe some more choices that end converging in only 2 paths)

That sex sells we know since 2013, when Mangagamer (a Japanese VN localizer) basically said that they had to keep localizing a lot of nukiges because they financed the translation of their bigger tittles: even if their story games sold more (which was often not the case) almost all their sex games has higher profit.

What is happening now is the same exported to Steam. In also VNs you can't "taste" the gameplay like in other games, so they rely almost entirely on art, an art is where 90% of the budget of these kind of tittle goes. Another good example is Honeypop which is not actually a VN but a mixed puzzle-dating sim game, and which is also selling like hotcakes. Still, the ridiculous numbers aren't for every game. Sakura Angels is a gamer far more polished that the one before, but it only reached 50k sales, a 1/4 of Spirit. It's still big, but it also shows those numbers aren't representative of the genre as a whole. 10 times the inversion may be possible in most cases, but a 100 is impossible (maybe Sakura Spirit, but even then you have to account that a lot of the sales of Sakura Spirit was when it was on sale last year, and so I'm pretty sure the revenue is closer to 1 million than 2, and even a VN like that would require a budget ranging from 40-20k)

Still, considering that an anime requires at least a base of 3 million $ to invest, I don't think you'll never quite reach that point even making countless fanservice games. Samu-kun also kinda sucks at making them as he loves to put gameplay that keeps you on your toes everywhere, which is something that most of these players don't like.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline Drath

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:30:38 am »
I didn't really pay that much attention to that Gamasutra article. Everyone can write stuff but I think its easier to judge if that dev can actually deliver what you expect once you've actually sampled their work. I won't repeat my thoughts on Loren but suffice it to say, I'm not buying another game from them (their games aren't exactly cheap by the way) unless I'm given strong indication that they have totally rethought game design. Others are of course entitled to their views and I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself.

I agree that 2 million profit for Sakura Spirit is quite likely an exaggeration, but still, assuming a 40k budget, 1 million looks pretty strong turnover to me.

Samu-kun also kinda sucks at making them as he loves to put gameplay that keeps you on your toes everywhere, which is something that most of these players don't like.

I've always believed that there is a right game for every gamer. Some like things casual and to relax at home after a long day of work by enjoying a good story, good art and bashing things up. Others like to cudgel their brains and enjoy some challenge in their gaming hours.
So sure it might not be every VN player's cup of tea but personally I've always pushed for marketing Sunrider strongly to turn based gaming groups/communities/sites. Didn't get it done before because I always thought that a 3rd free part would wrap things up and the game would be retweaked with further patches. Now that we finally have the AI for rockets and mooks and meleers fixed in 7.2, and Liberation Day is going to be different, mechanics-wise, perhaps its high time to do so. I still want to finish at least one v7.2 playthrough first though and see that at least energy upgrades are functional before I commit to asking a site for review though.