Author Topic: How to Play Mafia, a Primer  (Read 2561 times)

Offline woolyshambler

How to Play Mafia, a Primer
« on: August 03, 2015, 05:55:32 pm »
Copy-Pasted from my original post in the Sunrider Mafia sign up; sort of a newbie orientation of sorts for any new players.

What is forum mafia you ask?  My dear Sir or Lady, it is a parlor game for only the most discerning of gentlemen and ladies.  A game of intrigue, suspicion, and murder.  Sit, have a seat, and have a brandy with me.  May I offer you a cigar?

All set?  There once was a town, peaceful and fun loving, filled with townies who only wished to frolic and well... do townie things!  Then along came the mafia, determined to bring their wicked ways into the simple townspeople's lives despite the utter lack of financial or political incentive to do so.  Things got ugly, nasty words were said, unflattering aspersions were cast.  Before long, someone was dead.  Upon this sudden change in events, the townspeople set aside their peaceful ways and turned into a rabid lynch mob.  During the day, they would lynch a suspected townie, trying to catch a mafia member.  At night, the mafia would sneak up on and kill someone who had gotten in their way.  Back and forth this went until the town had either eliminated the mafia or the mafia had outnumbered the town.  Of course, all sorts of secret powers and abilities came to light as the townspeople fought the mafia over night.  Such was the story of forum mafia.

You can get a more general sense of the game's mechanics with this flash video here.
There's also an excellent newbie guide here.
Courtesy of WhyBuy and Imouto-Chan, an explanation of Town of Salem (a mafia variant) in rap format: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8A9FVAzPw

Some general rules for your reference:

In Mafia, there is a certain number of players, divided into two main groups: the Town, and the Mafia. If you are a member of the town, you win if, at any point, all non-town members are dead. If you are a member of the Mafia, you win if the Mafia ever comprises a majority of the remaining players. (For example, if there are three mafia members and two town members left, the mafia wins.) If you are neither town nor mafia, your winning conditions should be explained in the PM you receive at the start of the game. The way you go about winning is simple: you kill off people you don't like, or that you figure are most suspicious.

Here's how it works:

Each game 'day' is divided into day and night. During the day, players post in the thread, trying to decide which members of the town are really members of the mafia. Please post carefully! Each player gets one vote per day, and whenever one player has a majority of the town's votes, that player is lynched by the town, and is eliminated.

During the day, the town tries to decide who is acting evil, and debates about who to lynch. However, the mafia will try to mislead the town into lynching a town member instead.

Each day lasts until one player is lynched or the deadline passes. After a player is lynched, the day ends, and it becomes night. No player may post in the thread during the night. During the night, the mafia chooses one player to hit, and will PM me their choice. That player is killed, and eliminated. Also during the night, some players may have night abilities (detailed after the game begins. If they wish to use these, they PM me with their actions during the night).
Play continues in this day/night sequence until either side's victory condition is met, at which point the game is over.

Players with beneficial night abilities would be best to keep them secret, so as not to become instant nightkill targets for the mafia. Therefore, it's usually best to keep your abilities secret for at least the first portion of the game.

General Rules:

1. No Outside Communication

Do not discuss the game outside the game thread with other players, unless you have a role that allows you to do so.

2. No editing posts

Do not edit your posts. Reading over people’s posts is crucial for allowing players to scrutinize each other. If you edit your posts repeatedly, you will be removed from the game.  If you need to clarify or correct something, double post rather than edit.

3. No quoting PMs from the Moderator

Don’t quote a PM that you have received from the GM, whether it be your Role PM or an action result. Do not fake one either.

4. Stay active

This game depends on activity in order to be successful. Try to post often; visiting once per day is encouraged. If you are purposefully lurking, be sure to notify me, although this discouraged.

5. No posting after death

After you are dead in the game, you may no longer post in the game, except to make one “goodbye” post which reveals NO info. You may not communicate with any player still in the game either.

6. No posting during the Night

This is to ensure that no info gained during the Night is revealed prematurely.

7. Bold your Votes and make them red

To vote for a player, make sure to highlight your vote by making it bold. You should also change the text color to red. This is to ensure that the Moderator sees the vote when making a count. It should look like this:
Vote: WoolyShambler
To unvote a player, make sure to bold your vote and make it blue.
Unvote: WoolyShambler
You can also point a "finger of suspicion" which has no bearing on the game itself, but is hilarious and can be used as evidence.  Please bold and make orange.
FOS: WoolyShambler

8. Send PMs to the Game Moderator

Send any Night actions to me within the time limit. If you have any issues or questions concerning the game or roles, PM the GM.

Breaking rules will result in either a warning, replacement, action block, or mod-kill depending on the severity of the infringement.

9. The GM reserves the right to arbitrate any unforeseen conflict/paradoxes that may result at night.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:46:35 pm by woolyshambler »

Offline ShadowX

Re: How to Play Mafia, a Primer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:11:11 pm »
Each day lasts until one player is lynched.
I thought there din't have to be a lynching?
Spoiler
Your love was handmade for somebody like me
Come on now, follow my lead
I may be crazy, don't mind me
Say, boy, let's not talk too much~💕

Offline Pal

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 03:20:31 am »
There doesn't have to be one.

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline Whalecow

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 03:54:58 am »
What is forum mafia you ask?  My dear Sir or Lady, it is a parlor game for only the most discerning of gentlemen and ladies.  A game of intrigue, suspicion, and murder.  Sit, have a seat, and have a brandy with me.  May I offer you a cigar?

All set?  There once was a town, peaceful and fun loving, filled with townies who only wished to frolic and well... do townie things!  Then along came the mafia, determined to bring their wicked ways into the simple townspeople's lives despite the utter lack of financial or political incentive to do so.  Things got ugly, nasty words were said, unflattering aspersions were cast.  Before long, someone was dead.  Upon this sudden change in events, the townspeople set aside their peaceful ways and turned into a rabid lynch mob.  During the day, they would lynch a suspected townie, trying to catch a mafia member.  At night, the mafia would sneak up on and kill someone who had gotten in their way.  Back and forth this went until the town had either eliminated the mafia or the mafia had outnumbered the town.  Of course, all sorts of secret powers and abilities came to light as the townspeople fought the mafia over night.  Such was the story of forum mafia.

+1 for sheer bossness.
Inwhaleably yours,
Whalecow

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 03:25:06 am »
EDIT: Added a rap video WhyBuy and Imouto shared with us on the commbox explaining Town of Salem/Mafia
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:49:55 pm by woolyshambler »

Offline ShadowX

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 10:27:00 pm »
EDIT: Added a rap video WhyBuy and Imouto shared with us on the commbox explaining Town of Salem/Mafia
We should post that out in a mafia game.
Spoiler
Your love was handmade for somebody like me
Come on now, follow my lead
I may be crazy, don't mind me
Say, boy, let's not talk too much~💕

Lord Ignatz

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 01:00:58 pm »
These videos will teach you how to spot Mafia when you play as Town:

Meet the Spy

Portuguese comedy movie

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 02:55:21 pm »
These videos will teach you how to spot Mafia when you play as Town:

Meet the Spy

Portuguese comedy movie

Dammit, wooly, elvis, they're on us?! Kana, you traitor!
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline John Titor

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 04:57:23 pm »
First rule of mafia:
TRUST NO ONE. NOT EVEN THOSE INVESTIGATED. SPECIALLY NOT THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TOWN.

Second rule of mafia:
FEAR Wooly.

Currently playing through all western released FE games
Completed: Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem Awakening, FE: PoR, FE: RD (Hard Mode Complete), FE: SD, Fe Fates
Playing:  Fe Conquest Lunatic
Mafia Awards : Cockblocker, I will drive you to School

Offline WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 02:35:05 am »

*hope nobody realize the red spy is french*

Elvis Strunk [Aug 10, 2016, 12:40:11 am]:   Meta is eternally a loli~
Arraxis [Sep 23, 2016, 11:37:43 pm]:   Love you too Meta

Offline Merne23

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 02:42:35 am »
First rule of mafia:
TRUST NO ONE. NOT EVEN THOSE INVESTIGATED. SPECIALLY NOT THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED TO BE TOWN.

Second rule of mafia:
Kill everything. Especially Wooly.

Rule number 1 is correct.
Rule number 2 needed some fixing.

woolyshambler [Aug16, 2015, 10:13PM]: ah Merne, they should give you the RP guru badge. [Aug24, 2016, 07:54 pm]:   WeAreTheMeta believes one day Merne went to the sea. From that day on the sea has been salty. Gamerjunkie [Jan04, 2017, 12:09 am]: So wait. Are... are you masturbating right in front of Sylvia? Deeox2 [Feb26, 2017, 02:03am]: SO WE GET ON ANOTHER BOAT AND FUCK OFF TO ANTARCTICA. Revontulet [Apr07, 2017, 06:30am]: gotta seize the day like a tentacle monster Beemu seizes a busty Hein

Lord Ignatz

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2015, 07:48:51 pm »
First rule of mafia:

Second rule of mafia:
Kill everything. Especially Wooly.

Rule number 1 is correct.
Rule number 2 needed some fixing.

No, no. You're both wrong.
The first rule of Mafia is you do not talk about Mafia.

Offline Merne23

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 04:00:24 am »
[...] You're both wrong.
The first rule of Mafia is you do not talk about Mafia.

No.
* Merne23 headchops Kana.
Bad Kana. None of that.

woolyshambler [Aug16, 2015, 10:13PM]: ah Merne, they should give you the RP guru badge. [Aug24, 2016, 07:54 pm]:   WeAreTheMeta believes one day Merne went to the sea. From that day on the sea has been salty. Gamerjunkie [Jan04, 2017, 12:09 am]: So wait. Are... are you masturbating right in front of Sylvia? Deeox2 [Feb26, 2017, 02:03am]: SO WE GET ON ANOTHER BOAT AND FUCK OFF TO ANTARCTICA. Revontulet [Apr07, 2017, 06:30am]: gotta seize the day like a tentacle monster Beemu seizes a busty Hein