Author Topic: [WIP] Consequential Choices Mod  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Lord Huge

[WIP] Consequential Choices Mod
« on: August 07, 2015, 06:42:30 pm »
One of the few things that really irked me about this game is the fact that none of my dialogue choices seemed to affect the story or even gameplay for that matter.  Looking through the scripts file I notice that the game several variables corresponding to affection and morality, but these values are not used much if at all.  Now I realize that many of you are hoping that Sunrider: Liberation Day will make use of these variables, but grandfather always said, "Hope in one hand and <analogy deleted due to being grossly inappropriate> and I tend to agree.  Here are my thoughts on some consequences:

1)  I think that romancing your female pilots, however HOT they may be, will be a detriment to the discipline and moral of the crew.  I mean, here you are, a lowly petty officer, working your butt off to keep the Sunrider in perfect working condition... and there is your CO trying to get some tail from your crew mates!  I feel that it should either cost CMD Points to romance someone or give you points for ignoring them (because every man knows that ignoring a hottie really can score you points!)  Just a thought.

2)  Another idea would be making more choices command decisions.  For example,
Spoiler
a captain with a higher moralist value than prince value should have to spend CMD points to risk his crew on the Far Point Tech Recovery Mission.
The point cost could even get progressively higher by using a (moralist - prince)*(base cost) type equation or have a trigger like "if (moralist - prince) > some value, then" or something like that.

3)  I also noticed that there are a few mods which add side quests when the character's affection reaches a certain value.  If there was also a moralist value requirement then players would have to choose between getting CMD Points NOW (Prince) or possibly playing a side quest through romance later (Moralist).  I think I would have to write some of the side quests (not all are covered in currently available mods) and I would have to beg and plea for the rights to use the mods already done (preemptive PLEEAAAAASE!!!).  There could also be a limit to how many character side quests you can actually unlock, making those extra points even more appealing.

4)  Another suggestion, I could add these lines to scripts.rpy

if captain_prince >= 25
    jump horrible

label horrible
    scene badend
    "You are a horrible, HORRIBLE person and you deserve to DIE!
     menu:
         "Try Again":
              jump horrible
          "Load Saved Game":
              jump horrible
     return

Or not.  Whatever.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated and possibly incorporated in my mod.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 04:24:21 pm by Lord Huge »
Unofficial U.S.M.C. Motto:  We've done so much with so little for so long... we can now accomplish anything with nothing.

Offline ShadowX

Re: [WIP] Consequential Choices Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:11:30 pm »
This will be developed in Lib. Day I believe. After all, in First Arrival and MoA, they had to maintain a single storyline with variations, however, (like in Mass Effect) in the last game, there is no need for this, and you can create widely diverging paths depending on the choices.
Spoiler
Your love was handmade for somebody like me
Come on now, follow my lead
I may be crazy, don't mind me
Say, boy, let's not talk too much~💕

Offline The Bigfoot

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 07:44:16 pm »
Have a look at the M52 functions rpy in my phoenix mod, it has a number of functions and modifications that might be useful, including a way to put chat buttons onto the ship without modifying core code.

I will be re-writing the Tutorial to clean it up a bit and it gives a number of ways to insert code into the game in a playable way without modifying core files. If you modify the files like script.rpy then you would loose the mod every time it was updated and potentially break other mods.

Will be interested to see what you make.
I make spaceships! - http://innomenpro.com/forums/index.php?topic=1366.0
Massive Modding tutorial here: http://innomenpro.com/forums/index.php?topic=1251.0
New Award: John Titor [Sep 17, 2015, 10:16:07 PM]:   BigFoot is the official Evil Genius fro mteh forum

Offline Lord Huge

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 07:52:22 pm »
Have a look at the M52 functions rpy in my phoenix mod, it has a number of functions and modifications that might be useful, including a way to put chat buttons onto the ship without modifying core code.

I will be re-writing the Tutorial to clean it up a bit and it gives a number of ways to insert code into the game in a playable way without modifying core files. If you modify the files like script.rpy then you would loose the mod every time it was updated and potentially break other mods.

Will be interested to see what you make.

Actually, your tutorial has been EXTREMELY helpful.  I've never written anything in RenPy before, but I'm nearly done hijacking all of the relevant labels.  Mostly I'm just copying and pasting from the text files you provided and changing the variables.  Thank you for posting that topic!     :D
I've already downloaded your Pheonix mod, so I'll take a look at that right now before I do anymore.
Unofficial U.S.M.C. Motto:  We've done so much with so little for so long... we can now accomplish anything with nothing.

Offline saibotlieh

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 08:21:10 pm »
I guess with the "side quests when the character's affection reaches a certain value" you are referring at least partly to my mods. If so, I will just quote myself here:
I welcome any kind of further modification done on and with these mods. If you want to continue story threads started in these missions, please do so. If you like any part of the code for your own mod, please use it. If you think you can improve my stories and/or writing, please do not hold back. I am looking forward to anything that might evolve from my work.
So, be my guest modifying my work as you like, it just would be nice if you credit me afterwards.

Also, I am still working on the rest of the side missions, just takes some time to make them. But hopefully I should be able to complete the next mission within the next two weeks or so.

And last but not least, welcome to the forum and especially to Sunrider modding.  :)

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:39:29 pm »
As one of the beta testers for Liberation Day, I can assure you that yes, alignment and relation points will be very important, and we still have only played the first 3 hours...

Still, some of your ideas are very interesting (needing CP to get some missions depending on your alignment), though you'll need to think of the balance  (adding the character's side-quests and other missions will probably mitigate this, but I still want to tell you to be careful, Sunrider's plenty hard as it is). In all cases good modding.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline Carthienes

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 09:56:10 pm »
2)  Another idea would be making more choices command decisions.  For example,
Spoiler
a captain with a higher moralist value than prince value should have to spend CMD points to risk his crew on the Far Point Tech Recovery Mission.
The point cost could even get progressively higher by using a (moralist - prince)*(base cost) type equation or have a trigger like "if (moralist - prince) > some value, then" or something like that.

Why not take it a step further?

Set this to trigger after the mission begins but before the battle (when you get the menu to fight or flee)

If the difference between prince and moralist is less than ~10%, Shields is a balanced individual and the choice proceeds as per Vanilla.

If the Captain is a moralist, it costs him command points to stay and fight (maybe sacrifice a point of moralist to prince in the process?)

If the Captain is a prince, however, the reverse is true - It will cost Shields command points to go against his war-obsessed mentality and save his crew at the cost of a potentially valuable asset.

Not quite sure the best way to implement this, though. I like it when hidden stats like these have subtle, hidden effects on the availability and effectiveness of player choices.