Author Topic: Animes with a good story  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Yuri

Animes with a good story
« on: August 30, 2015, 06:02:24 pm »
I was thinking the other day, exists an anime that have contributed me with something to my life? or I just lost my time watching it? i recapped all the animes and VNs that i have watched during the course of my life (more than 500+) and after a lot thought and reflection, thinking in what animes i would watch again, what characters were memorable etc.. i came to the conclusion that sadly, more than 90% of the anime that i watched was a completely waste of time, but the other 10% was totally worth of it, in the sense that in some way, it changed my perspective of things, beginning with the fact that you can only remember the name of the good anime characters, even if are difficult to pronounce. in the majority of the cases, you end an anime and you (or at least me) dont remember any of the characters names since all of them were cliche *facepalm*

Animes like fruit baskets left inside me some kind of print, such as the value of see the life in an optimistic way or to only see the good things of the other persons

So im searching for an anime not only with a good story but with the ability of produce some kind of feeling, in short an anime that you will not forget easily

PS: Do you remember their names? Would you like to watch them again?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:04:25 pm by Yuri »

Offline Shirley

Re: Animes with a good story
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 04:21:28 am »
I can never remember names...ever...even after watching it all the way through, I suck with names for most of the anime's I watch..

Angel Beats was one of the really good one, a great example to use for this.

I want to recommend a romance anime to literally everyone. I can't remember most of the character names, but the story was there, and they really touched on tough issues. It even ends with a full ship. It was one of the first anime I've seen since it left TV, I had just joined an anime club (this was in college).

I have to say, one of the more touching stories I've seen, and one of the first (if not the first) romance anime's I've ever watched. It may be just nostalgia, or it may be that I haven't seen enough romance anime's, but I think it's worth a look. It's 12 episodes.

The anime is:

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate (Love, Election, and Chocolate)

Based on the Visual Novel Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate (I just noticed that they finally have basic translations for it...I'm going to get this asap..)

It's about a club that goofs off making sweets, and the club is going to get cut from the program, so the club president runs for Student Council President, and they go through the entire process. I have to say though, they really take the Student Council President issue waaay too seriously in this anime....

Character designs are great. Art, great.

Another ironic thing is that I don't really care for politics, yet I really enjoyed this anime, so yeah, I highly recommend it.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! Because you all suck and need to lighten up  Me In a Nutshell
KomiTsuku [Sep 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM]:But tentacle monsters are our friends. BITE ME UNIVERSE [Oct 16, 2016, 09:21:04 pm]:   because one type of forbidden love just isn't enough Afro-Kun [Facebook Nov 21, 2015, 22:40:01 PM]: "I WAS JUST HANDED TEA AND THEN; Friend: "I put the tea in "NTR"!" FRIEND PLS"

Offline WhydidIbuytheunionfrigate

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 04:30:14 am »
Alrighty then, I can be finally useful on this forum! So here's my list that I would say have great story, characters, etc. If you want more info on the animes, you can look them up on Google.

1) Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World) This anime was originally a Japanese novel, turned anime, so it has very good character development, "long" running time (25 episodes), very good plot twist at the end, and it DOES NOT HAVE A "GOOD" NOR "BAD ENDING. It leaves the audience to decide if the ends justified the means. Category-wise, it's a speculative fiction, drama, scifi (it's more magic than scifi).

2) Aldnoah.Zero (Shut up haters, season one was great!) This one really left a strong impression on me. In my 30 questions, I wrote about how the ending song, "aLIEz" represented my life. In saying this, the anime was very good, at least in the beginning, at showing how normal mechs fight OP Super Gundams. Yeah... that's about it. Story-wise there were some interesting political conflicts, but they kinna ran over them in the second season.

3) Code Geass (Haters, don't hate, Lelouch was a douche) this anime impacted me because it became the only anime so far, in which I really hated the main character, Lelouch la Douche. In a weird way, this is why I liked the series. Story-wise it's basically a revenge story about how Lelouch uses his newly given ability of mind control to aid in a rebellion against his father, the Emperor of Brittania. The setting is a scifi imagining of what the world could have been had Britain conquered the Earth. Everyone who isn't British is basically a third class citizen, just like during the real British Colonialism.

I have more, but I have to stop here. I'll post again later, danke!
FE Games Played (Finished): Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Binding Blade
FE Games Playing (or hiatus): Sacred Stones, Genealogy of the Holy War, Conquest
Most influential games/series: Valkyria Chronicles, Nier: Automata, Spec Ops: The Line
Worst Endgame in a Video Game I've played: FE Binding Blade (normal)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BAleNswfujYs6IuWpqzypDTqJY2_J3Av/view?usp=sharing (I made a NAO robot dance Hare Hare Yukai!)

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 09:55:24 pm »
correction first 3 ep were great

they really failed to find a main theme for the show, even tho they said that they wanted to go back to the typical heroic mecha anime plot.
well, story itself flew with many unanswered questions and poorly worded ending but i liked it as an anime that has bad ending for once.

i give that show 6/10 since 60% of shows i see only screw up endings.

ill recommend something newer since we all know FMA.
anohana (holds no1. spot for most time i cried lika bich)
katanagatari (clean ending for once.)
monogatari (dirtiest thing ever but fun. ending anticipated.)
drrr (if u like chaos in story.)
psycho-pass s1 (s2 meh)
shape of the voice ( cant wait for anime!!!)
twgok ( anime meh, manga ending rushed. best edible at goddess arc.)
gup (typical sports)
haikyuu (typical sports)
Currently- No good college game design student, too much anime in life
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 10:13:03 pm »
To be honest, the best of Aldnoah Zero were the battle scenes, but even those took a dive in season 2, where Inaho's physics knowledge started translating into bullsh*t superpowers out of nowhere. Still, they were gorgeous enough that I wouldn't mind seeing them 3 or 4 times (though I'm a mech fanatic). the first 3 episodes were magnificent though.

An epic soundtrack, and excellent mech designs. It's free (streaming) on Crunchyroll, so while it will not change your life it's very good if you want some entertainment.

On animes, I don't exactly share your opinion on them, and in fact I tend to remember some even if they weren't that gamechanging. Still, AkioKlaus list is a good start, though you'll probably need to specify more on your tastes. There's some serious lack of both serious romance and action in that list, but what to recommend would depend on your tastes.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:41:52 am »
I second Angel Beats! and AnoHana, while adding Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (because it's my favorite anime and I'm biased).

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 04:36:01 am »
KLK and rolling girls! if you like story that makes so sense but makes sense to your heart and you like action.
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Commander Zaelthul

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »
Totally not Spice and Wolf because I'm not biased or anything.
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

Offline Duke Rockhopper

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:59 pm »
Not sure if it's a good idea to mention it as I may get verbally missile assaulted, but, *deep breath* IactuallyenjoyedallofSwordArtOnlinenomatterwhatotherpeoplesaytheendofseasontwowasreallysadandIloveit

The Bigfoot: Curse you penguins! I knew all that waddling and falling around was a bluff|woolyshambler: frankly i'm surprised the genetically enhanced mutant penguins hadn't shown up sooner. you could say i've been expecting them. |GreyCat: duke could be better at spelling, but he chooses instead to spend his time focusing on arse|The Meta concedes Penguins are better|Deeox2: Looked like the commbox collectively lost it. Nice.|Jynx: Yandere Duke scares me... A lot.|Deeox2: Hey. It ain't lewd. I'm just waiting for Duke to kiss me|Elvis Strunk: Silly Duke. I am the woman, you are the penguin.

Offline John Titor

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 05:10:12 pm »
Not sure if it's a good idea to mention it as I may get verbally missile assaulted, but, *deep breath* IactuallyenjoyedallofSwordArtOnlinenomatterwhatotherpeoplesaytheendofseasontwowasreallysadandIloveit

Load the torpedo bays with Cyclon Warheads. Kill those heretics.

Klein was a funny character though
Currently playing through all FE games
Completed: Fire Emblem : Genealogy of the Holy War,    FE: Blazing Blade, Fe: Binding Blade, FE:The Sacred Stones, FE: PoR, FE: RD (Hard Mode Complete), FE: SD, FE: NMotE,  ,FE: Awakening , Fe Fates (CQ & Rv Lunatic), FE Echoes: SoV (Hard Mode)
Playing : Setting up Thracia 776
Mafia Awards : Cockblocker, I will drive you to School

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 05:35:12 pm »
quiet. SAO was good

first volume only.

never read comics.
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 06:35:24 pm »
First volume of the SAO light novel was the worst with difference though. Rushed plot with bullsh*t out of nowhere (seriously, the first volume has more bullsh*t than the rest of the series put together), characters flatter than Silica, and a one dimensional romance. It still has its good points, but in general it really did gave a lot more a fanfic/webnovel feeling. The anime did a lot better with putting all the other side-stories and volumes first. It let Asuna really breathe as her own character and the side characters were colorful. I actually didn't mind the second half of season one, though that was more because I loved Suguha a lot more than Asuna (which has always been my less liked female character of SAO). The villain and generic evil plot were laughable though.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 07:34:39 am »
imma dump manga to make this a lame recommendation thread.

gunkar no baltzar (good enough rifle and calvarly action.)
bagataway (rather simple lacross. characters are too human in some parts.)

Updated: September 01, 2015, 12:46:00 am
crap how did i forget shingeki no bahamut
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Yuri

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 12:49:30 am »
The ones that liked SAO can provide me your irl names? to write you in my death note and you can be sure that will be a painful death ejem i mean i just have curiosity  ::) SAO have a good concept, however it develops poorly, is like Highschool of the dead, is about zombies however what you see when watching the anime is just ecchi instead of zombies

I disliked anohana in general but maybe my opinion can be biased because i watched a very similar VN before
Monogatari bored me
I liked Angel beats however it is not of my favorites
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:00:04 am by Yuri »

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 01:09:49 am »
alexia krux.

;)
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-