Author Topic: Animes with a good story  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Shirley

Re: Animes with a good story
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 01:39:46 am »
Let me direct you to a reviewer who is ACTUALLY REALLY GOOD! I hate reviewers, but my friend showed me this while SAO was still new. Honestly, it's spot on.... (this review also got him put on the youtube map...)

And yeah, his other reviews are spot on, he's freaking great. Again, I hate reviewers, but he even broke down K-On! and showed how shitty it was but I STILL love it.

Anime Zone: Sword Art Online Anime Review
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 01:54:16 am by BITE ME UNIVERSE »
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! Because you all suck and need to lighten up  Me In a Nutshell
KomiTsuku [Sep 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM]:But tentacle monsters are our friends. BITE ME UNIVERSE [Oct 16, 2016, 09:21:04 pm]:   because one type of forbidden love just isn't enough Afro-Kun [Facebook Nov 21, 2015, 22:40:01 PM]: "I WAS JUST HANDED TEA AND THEN; Friend: "I put the tea in "NTR"!" FRIEND PLS"

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 04:34:12 am »
Full Metal Alchemist/Brotherhood: While the original in 2003 derived from the manga (to be retold by Brotherhood in 2009) there is absolutely no doubt that this anime garnered in a huge response from the Western anime crowd and absolutely exploded back on the scene when it was first release in 2003.  You generally always see this anime in watchers top 10 lists of "ANIME YOU MUST SEE" and for good reason.  Good characters in both exposition and growth, the story is decent, music is fantastic, and no overly blatant pandering to the lowest common denominator.  Watch the series or read the manga.

Cowboy Bebop: If you were born after 1998 you were probably to young to get into this series but when it finally hit Western shores (at least in North America) thanks to Toonami the space genre would never be the same.  Despite hardcore anime critics claiming other series such as Voltron, Spaceship Yamato, and Gundam series are better for space, there is a certain magic to Cowboy Bebop due to its incredibly snazzy soundtrack, gung-ho characters, and stellar narrative that took the crew someplace new every time, even Gorchnik's father was intrigued by this series.

Crest/Banner of the Stars: Being comprised of the first 4 books of the same name, this anime series follows Jinto and Lafiel as the later is formerly appointed as a captain of a new spaceship and the former made to serve under her due to the acquisition of his home-world by the massive Abh empire. If you are looking for a Sci-fi love story (Sunrider anyone?) then pick up this series.  There are many Japanese otaku who consider Lafiel to be their first true what the Western world calls "Mysterious Waifu"

Samurai Champloo:
Gorchnik is personally not a fan of this anime but there can be no doubt it set a precedent when it came to the West on what a new modern samurai story setting could achieve. Two contrasting samurai warriors are far from friends, yet their separate paths seem to cross anyways as they search for a mysterious samurai along with a ditzy waitress. Great battle scenes and the inclusion of hip-hop in anime was almost unheard of until this time.

Full Metal Panic/Fumoffu/The Second Raid: A three-part anime series comprising the first four (five) volumes of a light-novel that resonated with Japan immensely when it was first released due to being written by famous writer Shoji Gatoh. FMP is famous for introducing one of the biggest anime couples ever with an enormous amount of unresolved sexual tension Sousuke and Chidori.  While the first anime series follows the first three novels well enough, the second series is completely comedy based on side-stories that will crack you up guaranteed.  The Second Raid picks back up where the original anime left off from there. However, if you can wing it, Gorchnik recommends buying the first 4 novels off of Amazon and reading those, then downloading the translations of the last eight (seven) off the net and giving them a read.

There are many more but these are a good start if you want to "resonate" with a series as OP originally mentioned.

Offline Shirley

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2015, 05:41:24 am »
Well, Gorby made some GREAT suggestions....

*cough cough* Nina *cough cough*

Totally Cowboy Bebop (have not seen fully...), Samurai Champloo (have not finished...) and Full Metal Panic. (Seen clips...)

OH!

Clannad...if that's your thing... insensitive bastards everywhere...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:52:24 am by BITE ME UNIVERSE »
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! Because you all suck and need to lighten up  Me In a Nutshell
KomiTsuku [Sep 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM]:But tentacle monsters are our friends. BITE ME UNIVERSE [Oct 16, 2016, 09:21:04 pm]:   because one type of forbidden love just isn't enough Afro-Kun [Facebook Nov 21, 2015, 22:40:01 PM]: "I WAS JUST HANDED TEA AND THEN; Friend: "I put the tea in "NTR"!" FRIEND PLS"

Lord Ignatz

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2015, 11:07:01 am »
Cowboy Bebop: If you were born after 1998 you were probably to young to get into this series but when it finally hit Western shores (at least in North America) thanks to Toonami the space genre would never be the same.  Despite hardcore anime critics claiming other series such as Voltron, Spaceship Yamato, and Gundam series are better for space, there is a certain magic to Cowboy Bebop due to its incredibly snazzy soundtrack, gung-ho characters, and stellar narrative that took the crew someplace new every time, even Gorchnik's father was intrigued by this series.

This.

I would like to recommend Space☆Dandy, which was also directed by Shinichiro Watanabe ("Samurai Champloo", "Cowboy Bebop"). There is a noticeable Cowboy Bebop influence in Space☆Dandy, but at the same time it feels like the antithesis of what Bebop represents. Space☆Dandy is all sorts silly and zany. There never seems to be a moment where the show takes itself seriously, and even when it appears to, there is usually some joke waiting at the end. It never aims to be anything more than simple fun and it works for that very reason. That's why you can think of Space☆Dandy as a silly parody of Cowboy Bebop (silly jokes, fanservice and zero continuity or character development).
Spoiler
Actually, there IS continuity and the story makes sense, but you only notice it after watching the last episode.
What I really liked from Space☆Dandy is that each episode is a more or less independent story that takes the crew someplace new every time (pretty much like Cowboy Bebop, but with less continuity). The art is also beautiful. I really liked how the artists tried a different style for each episode (especially in season 2), which also helps creating a proper athmosphere for each story.

I also recommend Steins;Gate (I can't believe it wasn't already recommended). The first episodes are too slow and random, so they may bore you. Later on (around episode 9) the story turns out to be a fast-paced and exciting Sci-Fi thriller without noticeable inconsistencies. There's also a lot of character development concerning the protagonist.

The voice acting is really good, in my opinion, and the art is nice, too.

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2015, 01:21:15 pm »
It's one of those things you're just as likely to end up hating as loving, and you may have seen it already. Neon Genesis Evangelion. If nothing else, you're bound to be left wondering what the heck is going on, especially if you only watch the series and not the End of Evangelion movie. The characters aren't cliches, they're all just messed up and broken people. And I don't care what anyone says; Shinji was pretty cool.

Offline Jynx

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2015, 02:04:41 pm »
It's one of those things you're just as likely to end up hating as loving, and you may have seen it already. Neon Genesis Evangelion. If nothing else, you're bound to be left wondering what the heck is going on, especially if you only watch the series and not the End of Evangelion movie. The characters aren't cliches, they're all just messed up and broken people. And I don't care what anyone says; Shinji was pretty cool.

I concurr with this statement. Shinji was what a 14 y.o. in that situation would have been. Like, he was asked to fight for his life and save everybody. Not exactly a light responsibility.

Also, Cowboy Bebop is wonderful. Even if in terms of story it did not impress me (I found it generic and not so well developed), everything - the characters, the art, the music - was simply amazing. Just look at and listen to it... Also, it was very, very, sad.

Oh. I don't know if it was already suggested. Patlabor. The anime is just a comedy, I wouldn't bother to watch more than a few episodes just to see what is going on, but the films are definitely interesting. The first one is a nice police story, the second is imho a small gem of '90s animation; a tense thriller with an insight on the 1990's political situation of Japan. It was made by Mamoru Oshii, the one who made Ghost in the Shell. And oh, it features robots; but somehow realistic machines used into industry, not your usual "superweapons".

Groshonee

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2015, 01:53:04 pm »
Personal most memorable animu off the top of my head:

Madoka
Cowboy Bebop
Katanagatari
Kara no Kyoukai
Spice & Wolf
Planetes
Steins;Gate
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The Disappearance of Haruhi Susumiya
Fate/Zero & Unlimited Blade Works

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2015, 03:30:07 pm »
There's a really nice movie titled Colorful. It's got a really nice storyline and realistic characters. The artwork is nice (although the character inbetweens are a little lazy at times) and the soundtrack is pretty cool. I definitely recommend it if you can find it.

Upon reaching the train station to death, a dejected soul is informed that he is 'lucky' and will have another chance at life though he does not want it. He is placed in the body of a 14-year-old boy named Makoto Kobayashi, who has just committed suicide by an overdose of pills. Watched over by a neutral spirit named Purapura in the form of a little boy, the soul must figure out what his greatest sin and mistake in his former life was before his six-month time limit in Makoto's body runs out. He also has a number of other lesser duties he must complete, such as understanding what led Makoto to commit suicide in the first place and learning how to enjoy his second chance at life.

DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Plophos

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2015, 05:41:09 am »
I think there are serveral good animes and i've seen some titles here wich i'll try out in the future. But until then here are some favorites of mine:

Neon Genesis Evangelion - you can discuss about this anime for ours and will find every time watching it new interpretations for its plot. The original series is very good and has a deep story. Also End of Evangelion and the new movies Evangelion 1.11 - 3.33 (4.44 should come to Europe by time) are nice "addons" to the series. In my opinion its a must see anime.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
- The story is very good and the characters are well done. Its never gets boring und has a good plot.

Dragonball/Z - Also a classic anime wich was my first in the 90s. Just love it.

Valkyria Chronicles (Senjō no Valkyria) - Very good adaption of the Game. The story is slightly diffrent from the game but also epic. Its a good story about war, love and drama. You'll have more fun with it when u've played the game before.

Silent Möbius (Sairento Mebiusu) - A Short anime form the late 90s (1998). Its a good mix of an apocalyptic, SciFi, and Drama plot.

Highschool of the dead (Gakuen Mokushiroku: Highschool of the dead) - Its a mix of zombie apocalypse, highschooler and comedy but has also serious parts in it wich make you think about humanity. Sadly it has only 12 Episodes and is not continued after Season 1.

Kickers (Ganbare! Kikkāzu) Sportsanime from 1986 - and one of mine favorit. The story is not very deep - it's about soccer, friendship and never giving up - no mater what comes. Just a memory from the childhood but still present in my mind.

One Piece - I know its mainstream and also on going but this anime ist one of my favorite. Especially the characters are very good. Every character has his own background story wich influence the storyline. But its something wich you can love or hate - not everyone gets in this setup of pirates with superpowers. ^^

I know not much new - hell i'm getting old... :X