Author Topic: Yokyoku - Updates  (Read 4439 times)

Offline DesertFox

Yokyoku - Updates
« on: October 17, 2015, 11:26:54 am »
Updates - 17/10/15

The game now runs at a resolution of 1920x1080. While it's less authentic than running on a 4:3 monitor, it does suit modern gaming a little better. Also, considering the game is set in the near future, it's not the strangest thing in the world to have it as such a size. Adapting and improving upon things, and now lots of work making the screens fit the new resolution. Added a clock to the top right corner and trying to make it run more like a desktop than a traditional visual novel. Since everything's a bit of a mess since the resolution update, will have to show more screenshots later on. Now the game does feature plenty of buttons, puzzles, and now choices as well as input. Implementing the basic intranet pages/apps will be the most time-consuming part when it comes to that.

DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline The Loli Assassin

Re: Yokyoku - Updates
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:30:54 pm »
Looking good, Fox!
"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 12:56:39 pm »
Updated main menu (now in orange)

DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Manchura

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 09:42:04 am »
looks good so far! keep it up

Offline Commander Zaelthul

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:06:40 am »
Foxxxy, do you just recolour the images yourself or do you have their color as white and use filters to make them come out as different colours?
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 11:33:13 pm »
Foxxxy, do you just recolour the images yourself or do you have their color as white and use filters to make them come out as different colours?

Setting styles for text, buttons and frames is quite simple and it's just a case of coding them to depend on variables. Images are only slightly different in that they're already one color. The images are actually all a certain shade of green and, again, based on a variable, the hue changes to an orange in-engine dependent on the player hitting a button. They both share a yellow color for buttons being hovered and input text. It might be worth changing this but I thought it would be fine since yellow makes up both green and orange.

I did consider giving players a black and white option, but that might be complicating things more than it needs to be.

I also need to decide if, when using the intranet/applications, there is full color (like on Apple ][, you could buy disks that you slotted in and you could play games in full color. It was only the basic interface that was in green). It might be interesting but it also might be kind of jarring. It could actually be a fun interface thing, that you need to trick the computer into thinking you've slotted in a floppy disk by entering commands and appending 'files'.

I'm open to any suggestions  ;D
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Shirley

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:15:27 pm »
What exactly...is this idea you're trying to implement?
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! Because you all suck and need to lighten up  Me In a Nutshell
KomiTsuku [Sep 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM]:But tentacle monsters are our friends. BITE ME UNIVERSE [Oct 16, 2016, 09:21:04 pm]:   because one type of forbidden love just isn't enough Afro-Kun [Facebook Nov 21, 2015, 22:40:01 PM]: "I WAS JUST HANDED TEA AND THEN; Friend: "I put the tea in "NTR"!" FRIEND PLS"

Online Geocorn

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 11:06:40 pm »
Since you're not literally using the idea of it being an Apple ][, I think more pallet options would be neat. Maybe like an E-reader pallet, Gameboy/PalmPilot, Pong (opposite of e-reader), Virtual Boy, etc... Or maybe even making it possible for the player to enter a custom pallet with hex codes or something. Regardless of what you decide to do about palette choices, I think you should consider changing the way that you display which button is selected to keep with the bichromatic palette. If memory serves (it's been a while since I've used a machine from this era), highlighting would simply be the colors on the button being inverted (so, in this case, a green/orange border, black in the middle, green/orange text when the button is highlighted). I also think that doing this might make it easier if you decide to increase the palette options in the future. The yellow and grey on the screen just seem to be out of place. Maybe though when the game has more development though, I'll change my mind :)

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 09:24:22 pm »
Been playing around with the GUI and implementing new things. Need to decide whether the Intranet opens in a window on screen or replaces the current screen. Once I decide on a style, I'm going to be designing dozens upon dozens of BBS pages to go in. Then I just need to think of a way for the player to discover new ones. Already I'm setting it so the player has to download an email application from one of the first BBS sites they manage to visit. The idea then is that through emails, documents already on the computer, random information they encounter on BBS pages, hints from Kikai and other stuff, the player continues to explore at their own pace in their own order. Then I suppose a score system can be based on how much the player explores before the plot of the game takes over and they get an ending.

DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Pal

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 10:05:00 pm »
Already I'm setting it so the player has to download an email application from one of the first BBS sites they manage to visit. The idea then is that through emails, documents already on the computer, random information they encounter on BBS pages, hints from Kikai and other stuff, the player continues to explore at their own pace in their own order. Then I suppose a score system can be based on how much the player explores before the plot of the game takes over and they get an ending.
Since someone is likely to read this and misunderstand, I'm going to take a preemptive strike and clarify that this is all in-game.

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Online Geocorn

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 12:20:38 am »
He really is making a love story :)

Online Revontulet

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 12:14:12 am »
Fox, any new updates on Yokyoku?
Milten [Sep 13, 2016, 03:31:18 pm]:   Come on, Rev's soul is 99% lewd, 1% Kurumi
Deeox2 [Dec 16, 2016, 01:31:10 am]:   ... Wow, I think Jannti broke my world solely by existing, lol.

https://youtu.be/USTCUPm5WB0

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 08:27:32 pm »
Hey

I'm afraid less has been done on Yokyoku than I would have liked. I've generally improved my coding skills recently so I'm going to be doing a lot of work on creating lots of BBS boards. I'll be picking up Yokyoku again soon once some more has been done on MLD and other things have settled down.
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 07:55:26 pm »
nyaaaaaaaa
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Online Geocorn

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 08:05:12 pm »