Poll

What Visual Novel should I read next?

Fate/Stay Night (The one I should have read first)
4 (26.7%)
Tomoyo After (It's a Dreadful life)
0 (0%)
Saya no Uta [Song of Saya] (Soul Crushing Pt 2: The Quickening)
1 (6.7%)
Steins;gate (The Japanese Bill Nye)
2 (13.3%)
Kamidori Alchemy Meister Run #2 (The Adventures of (not) Edward)
2 (13.3%)
World End Economica I (If Spice and Wolf was in the Near-future)
1 (6.7%)
Continue with Katawa Shoujo
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: April 14, 2014, 08:17:33 am

Author Topic: What VN should I attempt to read next?  (Read 14447 times)

Offline Ledabot

Re: What VN should I attempt to read next?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2014, 06:18:55 am »

It's a shame too because this genre could be a whole lot more if the writers would just take a few minutes and come up with some ingenuity.  Alas.

I fear that most people don't really want new things. It's proven statistically that people clamour for the same old thing time and time again. Things like the EA sports titles and COD show this really clearly. While i'm not so familiar with the VN market, I can say that anything that people enjoy for being a little bit different has never done as well as the boring repetitive games. I good place to watching a video on the subject is here.
Saw it, found several holes in his theory and did not take him seriously.

Please share. I'm quite interested since I have a horrible tendency to believe things I'm told, even if I don't really agree.

Anyway, as our lord has said "sex will always sell more." Which is a sad truth. I wonder how long it will be before advanced computer programs allow VN makers to move away from 2d and into the realm of interactive novels like what telltale games makes. (wolf among us, the walking dead) for similar time and cost. At least at that point, I wonder how much they will be able to innovate with the new tools they have.

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2014, 06:40:09 am »
I wonder how long it will be before advanced computer programs allow VN makers to move away from 2d and into the realm of interactive novels like what telltale games makes. (wolf among us, the walking dead) for similar time and cost.

Well, all they need to do is just play a rendered movie with 3D actors, then put some options at certain points. I mean, how hard can it be? :p

On a more serious note, I think "The Wolf Among Us" is much better than "The Walking Dead". Maybe it's because I love mystery / detective story.

Offline Commander Zaelthul

« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:53 am »
Second time, computer's dead so using tablet.
Much hate is dicted at this.
Leda, Free to play, PC and indies. That is all.
I will add more.
Oreo, that would compromise the way this medium is. It'll became just another movie.
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2014, 09:10:15 am »
So, after formatting my HDD, installing Win7 and finally got everything running the way I want it to, I realise that I lost a lot of save files for various games & visual novels.
This includes Katawa Shoujo. *sigh* Yeah I'm too pissed off to even consider continuing that for now.
I'm just going to lightly touch upon the arguments I brought up.
@Leda, Steam holds onto a lot of statistics in terms of sales.
So that's the majority of the PC statistics gone but judging from the increase of empathize on the PC market as of late it looks like PC is master race and is quite strong in terms of it's creative as well as major selling titles.
Indie devs are also a major drive for creativity and if something innovative became a huge hit all the major publishers would like to give it a shot too, look at Minecraft (I despise the game personally) and Day Z, the number of copy cats during those games' hype are astronomical.
@Oreo, that kind of thinking would just turn all of them into point & click adventures (Quite like sniping in any FPS), if there's a will to incorporate 3d effects I believe the best way to go about it is to take the Virtue's last reward.
The Great Commandy one
The Goddess protects!

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2014, 09:22:17 am »
@Oreo, that kind of thinking would just turn all of them into point & click adventures (Quite like sniping in any FPS), if there's a will to incorporate 3d effects I believe the best way to go about it is to take the Virtue's last reward.

Well, I think that "The Walking Dead The Game" and "The Wolf Among Us" are point and click games.

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2014, 10:40:46 am »

Well, I think that "The Walking Dead The Game" and "The Wolf Among Us" are point and click games.
I just like the VN kind of format mainly due to the focus on dialogue and character development than anything.
The Great Commandy one
The Goddess protects!

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2014, 01:27:43 pm »
Lord Gorchnik says there is no reason you can't have the best of all worlds.  That's what makes a game, you know....good! The problem is there is either

a) lack of money
b) lack of willpower/creativity
c) lack of empathy towards your product
d) lack of want towards your product
e) creative differences
f) executive meddling
g) all of the above

And considering g seems to be showing up more and more frequently these days Gorchnik would much rather the devs step back, take a deep breath, actually re-evaluate their market and see what their target audience actually wants.  Having experience in this first hand Gorchnik can tell you that nothing gives you greater satisfaction then on launch-day of your product having hundreds, thousands, or even millions flocking to it wanting to snatch a copy for themselves.