Author Topic: [12.2] Arcade Mode v1.1  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Histidine

[12.2] Arcade Mode v1.1
« on: November 16, 2015, 01:55:25 pm »
Arcade Mod(e)
for Sunrider: Liberation Day

It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum! Fight your way through a series of increasingly challenging opponents with your trusty ryder wing.
Download

Features:
  • 11 different waves with a variety of enemies
  • Earn money to purchase mercenaries and resupply mid-battle
  • Semi-random enemy placement
  • Includes six classic soundtracks from Mask of Arcadius
  • High score at end to brag about to your friends

Note: not guaranteed to not have funny bugs or be even remotely balanced.

Instructions
Extract to Sunrider/game to install.
To uninstall, delete Sunrider/game/mods/arcade and restore your screen.rpy backup.

To play, click on Bonus in the main menu.

Screenshots
Spoiler

Changelog
Spoiler
v1.1
  • Compatibility for Liberation Day beta 12
  • Add an 11th wave
  • Add PACT Elite, command point upgrade to store
  • Add some custom enemy defs (most notably Legion)
  • Reduce most wave delays
  • Add purchase limits for all ships
  • Show purchase limits in GUI
  • Grey out sold-out items instead of hiding
  • Better descriptions for each ship in store
  • Don't replace screens.rpy any more
  • Store wave enemy definitions as strings instead of ship objects (fixes save/load bugs)
  • Fix high score-related exploits
  • Fix wave 3 Nightmare positions
v1.0
Initial release

Feedback welcome, etc.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 06:59:40 am by Histidine »

Offline The Bigfoot

Re: [10.0] Arcade Mode
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 01:54:06 am »
Damn you Histidine! :D Its very tempting to get the beta just to use this but I don't want spoilers.

Incidentally you don't need to replace the entire screens.rpy, you can define screens in an init block and if it runs after the default (0) it will overwrite it.
I make spaceships! - http://innomenpro.com/forums/index.php?topic=1366.0
Massive Modding tutorial here: http://innomenpro.com/forums/index.php?topic=1251.0
New Award: John Titor [Sep 17, 2015, 10:16:07 PM]:   BigFoot is the official Evil Genius fro mteh forum

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 02:14:35 am »
nice work :)
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Drath

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:54:22 am »
Lol looks like I'll have quite a bit to mess around with, even after beta 10  ;D

Offline Drath

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 05:03:25 pm »
Had a bit of time to spare lately and gave this a short run on a few waves on Captain. Pretty fun :)

Have some issues to bring up though:
1)Ran into a bug where I restarted arcade mode (went back to main screen and clicked Bonus again) as I forgot to adjust upgrades beforehand and found that the damage to units I did on my very first try was actually still there. I exited Liberation Day, started fresh and things seemed ok again.

2)Noticed that it is possible to have multiple copies of store units. IMHO for balance purposes, it might be better to limit the player to the same restrictions in Liberation Day (max of 2 Alliance Cruisers, 2 Ryuvian Falcons, 3 Union Frigates, 4 Cera Gunboats). Otherwise, people are just going to spam their favorite unit (Falcons are a good deal ahead, if just taking into consideration pure offense). As for Alliance Battleships and Union Battleships, I leave the limit up to you.

Done about half the waves after haphazardly rearranging upgrades (I didn't really use the additional Intel, had about 31k+ after, not sure what your intentions were here). All are 1 or 2 turn affairs so far. Doubtless this will be harder on Space Whale but thought I'd do a quick play and let you know my general impressions first.

I hope more people try this soon. It's a shame to leave good mods unplayed. We're probably already on the verge of beta 11 and who knows what that will bring.

Offline Histidine

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 03:50:39 pm »
Glad someone's enjoying it :D
I might update it with some fixes and such after beta 11 comes out.

1)Ran into a bug where I restarted arcade mode (went back to main screen and clicked Bonus again) as I forgot to adjust upgrades beforehand and found that the damage to units I did on my very first try was actually still there. I exited Liberation Day, started fresh and things seemed ok again.
Right, I've got a refactor planned that ought to fix this and related issues (specifically, create the units only when they actually spawn instead of when starting up the game).

(Random fun fact: In their first implementation, buying a second merc unit of a type that already existed wouldn't create a new unit but just move the existing one around. Awkward.)

2)Noticed that it is possible to have multiple copies of store units. IMHO for balance purposes, it might be better to limit the player to the same restrictions in Liberation Day (max of 2 Alliance Cruisers, 2 Ryuvian Falcons, 3 Union Frigates, 4 Cera Gunboats). Otherwise, people are just going to spam their favorite unit (Falcons are a good deal ahead, if just taking into consideration pure offense). As for Alliance Battleships and Union Battleships, I leave the limit up to you.
Yeah, I've been considering something like that (already have code for limited-use purchases, just need to make the remaining number visible on the UI).
(I'd also probably want to have it so losing a unit frees up the "slot" again so you can replace it, but that'll be harder to implement. It's probably too much to hope for The Bigfoot's mod framework to work in 10.0, right?)

Incidentally, do you think the Munitions Freighter and/or Awaken are too much of a no-brainer? I've been wondering about their balance.

Done about half the waves after haphazardly rearranging upgrades (I didn't really use the additional Intel, had about 31k+ after, not sure what your intentions were here).
Currently I have it set up so ordinary players should just spend all the 30k free points, while those going for a high score should try to balance saving intel with taking as few turns as possible. Though I'm not sure said balance point actually exists.
Well I'm not surprised you're breezing through on Captain(?) even without using any of the extra intel :P Though the difficulty does spike near the end.

Offline The Bigfoot

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:13:45 pm »
Yeah, I've been considering something like that (already have code for limited-use purchases, just need to make the remaining number visible on the UI).
(I'd also probably want to have it so losing a unit frees up the "slot" again so you can replace it, but that'll be harder to implement. It's probably too much to hope for The Bigfoot's mod framework to work in 10.0, right?)

Wouldn't work in 10, but its easy enough if you don't need mod compatibility.

If this is running off a screen or a store, it auto-refreshes constantly so you could just do (assuming its the same in 10):
Code: [Select]
if get_shipcount_in_list('ship.name', list) > ship_max: # For screens
or
That store-item visibility attribute = get_shipcount_in_list('ship.name', list) > ship_max # for store

If that dosen't work, you can modifiy the ship's destroy function and just add a few lines in there

Code: [Select]
def destroy(whatever was in here anyway)
    existing death code

if shipname+'_arcade_count' in globals(): globals[shipvar+'_arcade_count'] -= 1
    # This is if you wanted to apply it to all ships but not all ships are checked or its not Arcade mode. If the variable exists, its modified. If not it wont screw up the code.

specific_ship.destroy = destroy
or
Battleship.destroy = destroy

Applying to Battleship will affect all ships unless they have a specially assigned death code already (like the sunrider would)
I make spaceships! - http://innomenpro.com/forums/index.php?topic=1366.0
Massive Modding tutorial here: http://innomenpro.com/forums/index.php?topic=1251.0
New Award: John Titor [Sep 17, 2015, 10:16:07 PM]:   BigFoot is the official Evil Genius fro mteh forum

Offline Histidine

Re: [12.2] Arcade Mode v1.1
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 06:59:11 am »
Updated!

Arcade Mod(e)
for Sunrider: Liberation Day

Download

Screenie:
Spoiler

Changelog
Spoiler
v1.1
  • Compatibility for Liberation Day beta 12
  • Add an 11th wave
  • Add PACT Elite, command point upgrade to store
  • Add some custom enemy defs (most notably Legion)
  • Reduce most wave delays
  • Add purchase limits for all ships
  • Show purchase limits in GUI
  • Grey out sold-out items instead of hiding
  • Better descriptions for each ship in store
  • Don't replace screens.rpy any more
  • Store wave enemy definitions as strings instead of ship objects (fixes save/load bugs)
  • Fix high score-related exploits
  • Fix wave 3 Nightmare positions