Author Topic: Clannad (Steam Version)  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Shirley

Clannad (Steam Version)
« on: November 24, 2015, 06:45:17 am »
Over a year later, and it's on steam. Enjoy the feels all.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/324160/
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! Because you all suck and need to lighten up  Me In a Nutshell
KomiTsuku [Sep 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM]:But tentacle monsters are our friends. BITE ME UNIVERSE [Oct 16, 2016, 09:21:04 pm]:   because one type of forbidden love just isn't enough Afro-Kun [Facebook Nov 21, 2015, 22:40:01 PM]: "I WAS JUST HANDED TEA AND THEN; Friend: "I put the tea in "NTR"!" FRIEND PLS"

Offline Douman

Re: Clannad (Steam Version)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:08:49 am »
No thanks

Offline Shirley

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:12:46 am »
No thanks

yeah, the price is outrageous atm and I would really only get it on humble or like, super steam sale where it's like, 60% or more off, but that's ONLY if I'm not in college.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! Because you all suck and need to lighten up  Me In a Nutshell
KomiTsuku [Sep 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM]:But tentacle monsters are our friends. BITE ME UNIVERSE [Oct 16, 2016, 09:21:04 pm]:   because one type of forbidden love just isn't enough Afro-Kun [Facebook Nov 21, 2015, 22:40:01 PM]: "I WAS JUST HANDED TEA AND THEN; Friend: "I put the tea in "NTR"!" FRIEND PLS"

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:11:49 am »
The Dangopedia is a frakking awesome idea, that should be implemented into more localised Japanese visual novels.

Offline Void

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 11:58:38 am »
Already have it since a few years ago. :v

But damn, the price is outrageous, plus I don't use steam anyways. :/
The only way to truly hurt a man, is to take everything that he valued and degrade it and remind him of it everyday of his life. But by doing this, you also create a monster, and you will regret ever harming that man, because he will be your greatest horror.

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 08:05:19 am »
Hang on, "outrageous" based on... What are we comparing it to? (Sticking to US prices, BTW)

By word count, CLANNAD is pegged at around 1.3 million words. That's more than the entire Harry Potter series (~1 million words, over 7 books), more than double that of the entire Lord of the Rings series (~0.55 million words, over 4 books), and still more than double that of Steins;Gate (~0.62 million words). Keeping it to an Apples to Apples comparison, the standard PC download version of Steins;Gate was originally released as $40, before a price drop down to $30 several months after release.

Or to compare a few more commercially released, fully voiced, English translated visual novels?
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3)? Or Xblaze Code:Embryo (PS3/PSV)? Or its sequel Xblaze Lost: Memories (PS3/PSV)? Each had MSRP of $40, and none of these even comes close to CLANNAD's word count.
Eden*, which is estimated at around 20%-or-less the length of CLANNAD? $20

Sure, one could argue that they'd get more out of $50 (or $42.49) with other types of games, "Your Mileage May Vary" depending on what type of games they prefer. But for visual novels, it's well within reasonable price range, especially when it has an updated translation and even an all new built-in glossary feature.

Offline Shirley

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 04:47:24 pm »
Hang on, "outrageous" based on... What are we comparing it to? (Sticking to US prices, BTW)

By word count, CLANNAD is pegged at around 1.3 million words. That's more than the entire Harry Potter series (~1 million words, over 7 books), more than double that of the entire Lord of the Rings series (~0.55 million words, over 4 books), and still more than double that of Steins;Gate (~0.62 million words). Keeping it to an Apples to Apples comparison, the standard PC download version of Steins;Gate was originally released as $40, before a price drop down to $30 several months after release.

Or to compare a few more commercially released, fully voiced, English translated visual novels?
Hakuoki: Stories of the Shinsengumi (PS3)? Or Xblaze Code:Embryo (PS3/PSV)? Or its sequel Xblaze Lost: Memories (PS3/PSV)? Each had MSRP of $40, and none of these even comes close to CLANNAD's word count.
Eden*, which is estimated at around 20%-or-less the length of CLANNAD? $20

Sure, one could argue that they'd get more out of $50 (or $42.49) with other types of games, "Your Mileage May Vary" depending on what type of games they prefer. But for visual novels, it's well within reasonable price range, especially when it has an updated translation and even an all new built-in glossary feature.

Yeah, I figured this explanation was coming. XD

Remember, anime's cut a LOT of content for the sake of motion and dramatic effect, that's how it works. They aren't going to make it any less than it's actual price since it contains everything in the anime PLUS MORE, MUCH MORE! There is a really good reason this was made from VN to Anime and that word count is a HUGE factor.

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 08:48:06 pm »
I was going to complain about how it was too expensive at the moment but damn, Mike makes a good point.

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 10:32:56 pm »
I think it's more that the 50$ just sumps at your face. I saw similar complaints to Trails in the Sky SC for the 30$, and when you think about it they were quite silly. There's just a sensation when seeing "50" that makes you see 50 fu*cking dollars.

See how quickly Sekai has caught on an added the sale. If they're smart they'll permanently change the price to 49,95$ or something like that.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »
I think it's more that the 50$ just sumps at your face. I saw similar complaints to Trails in the Sky SC for the 30$, and when you think about it they were quite silly. There's just a sensation when seeing "50" that makes you see 50 fu*cking dollars.

See how quickly Sekai has caught on an added the sale. If they're smart they'll permanently change the price to 49,95$ or something like that.

The non-sale price is $49.99 so they already have that covered.

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Douman

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 02:00:41 am »
i dont care for price.
Clannad is not interesting as VN anymore

Offline Shirley

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 07:14:06 pm »
i dont care for price.

.......wh....what? Why? This is interesting...

Offline Douman

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2015, 07:19:35 pm »
i dont care for price.

Old nakige.
I don't like nakige and it is too old, especially after all these VNs... https://vndb.org/u34880/list?c=all;v=0;t=-1;o=d;s=vote

P.s.
Well i'm not talking about bad graphics...(not because old, mind you!)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:26:22 pm by Douman »

Offline Shirley

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 07:51:15 pm »
i dont care for price.

Old nakige.
I don't like nakige and it is too old, especially after all these VNs... https://vndb.org/u34880/list?c=all;v=0;t=-1;o=d;s=vote

P.s.

HOLY FUCK! THAT'S A LOT OF VN'S!

And yeah, I get it. If it's much older and you've already played it, makes sense. Visual Novels have been evolving over the years just like everything else so it makes sense.

Offline Douman

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 08:02:44 pm »
i dont care for price.

Old nakige.

P.s.

HOLY FUCK! THAT'S A LOT OF VN'S!

And yeah, I get it. If it's much older and you've already played it, makes sense. Visual Novels have been evolving over the years just like everything else so it makes sense.

I actually never tried Clannad. It looked ugly in past and it looks the same even now