Author Topic: Questions about the Good Ship Sunrider  (Read 2848 times)

Offline deathzealotzero

Questions about the Good Ship Sunrider
« on: December 22, 2015, 01:55:26 am »
Hello, 

Since I am going to be putting together a fanfiction about Sunrider I would like to ask a few questions about the ship itself, not the game. Since I am putting together a background Codex for the Sunrider I need some details to complete it.

First question,

In the official Sunrider Novelization by Wooly it is mentioned that the individual Ryder Bays launch their Ryders into combat. Where at the launch points on the ship's hull. Are they underneath the ship itself? Or elsewhere that is not shown on the Model.

Second question,

Are there any weapons on the ship's Ventral Hull? I.E the bottom of the ship for those not in the know. Since again mentioned in Wooly's Novelization that Ava is called the Ship's "Seventh Savior" by the crew due to her attitude at the beginning of the story. But the ship has four Savior Turrets on the dorsal hull.

I do believe that is it for now. I may have more questions later. Thanks for now.
Deathzealot on Fanfiction.Net
Deathzealot on MechaTalk
deathzealotzero on Spacebattles
deathzealotzero on Sufficient Velocity
deathzealotzero on DeviantArt

Offline Marx-93

Re: Questions about the Good Ship Sunrider
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 04:03:51 am »
Hello, 

Since I am going to be putting together a fanfiction about Sunrider I would like to ask a few questions about the ship itself, not the game. Since I am putting together a background Codex for the Sunrider I need some details to complete it.

First question,

In the official Sunrider Novelization by Wooly it is mentioned that the individual Ryder Bays launch their Ryders into combat. Where at the launch points on the ship's hull. Are they underneath the ship itself? Or elsewhere that is not shown on the Model.

Second question,

Are there any weapons on the ship's Ventral Hull? I.E the bottom of the ship for those not in the know. Since again mentioned in Wooly's Novelization that Ava is called the Ship's "Seventh Savior" by the crew due to her attitude at the beginning of the story. But the ship has four Savior Turrets on the dorsal hull.

I do believe that is it for now. I may have more questions later. Thanks for now.

On the first question, Wooly's novelization of MoA is extremely good and official, but not strictly cannon: The hangars all lead to the giant hole the Sunrider has in the middle of its hull. Yes, the Ryders go out through the same place the Vanguard Cannon shoots; I suppose you could think as the inner Sunrider having 2 big "corridors": one place is the Vanguard's Cannon "barrel" to say, and the other leads to the hangar. To protect both places I suppose there's a fair number of protection and sliding doors.

On the second question, this time wooly's right: there's not two turrets on the ventral hull, but rather they're on the stern, behind the bridge but around the same height as the two forward ones. They should be relatively easy to see in the model.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline BlackStarLine

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:32:27 pm »
I always imagined the launch bays being on the sides of the ship, so they would open up so the Ryders could just launch straight out and use their thrusters to get into position etc.

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:43:24 am »
Uh-oh...

Shaped like an arrowhead, the Sunrider's rear was heavy with her four primary drive cores which provided her with sub-light and warp propulsion.  Engineering and the Sunrider's reactors added to the bulk of the ship's rear.  Moving towards the prow of the ship, the Sunrider tapered gracefully, her twelve Ryder launch bays, six on each side, spilling bright light from underneath her armored sides.

That's my first description of the launch tubes and there may be others.  I imagined they were actually on the lateral sides of the ship, six each, oriented such that Ryders launch from the ventral surface of the ship (the bottom/side without the observation deck).  This plays a role in one of the later chapters where the Sunrider gets super close to a star and can't use the Ryder launch tubes without risking the pilots and Ryders frying before successfully deploying. 

The idea was mainly inspired by the way fighters launched from the Battlestar Galactica and the launch scene from Knights of Sidonia.

I also imagine the hangar proper is further towards the aft of the ship since they can also make combat landings when Sunrider opens up its aft hangar doors.  Doesn't make sense for them to fly all the way down the length of the Vanguard Cannon's barrel to get to the hangar.  Probably means the normal ventral launch tubes are also more aft than fore.

Looks to me like there are two larger banks of cannons immediately in front of the observation platform on the dorsal surface of the ship.  Each seems to have 3 cannons.  I figured the biggest ones were probably the Saviors; three Saviors to a single weapons embankment.  I figured the other turrets were the assault guns, lasers, etc. 

It's left completely ambiguous in the novelization where the Hell Darts launch from.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:49:18 am by woolyshambler »

Offline Samu-kun

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 12:03:28 am »
The Sunrider's underbelly does not exist. When you model on a eight year old laptop, you don't model any more unnecessary objects than necessary. I didn't have enough processing power to make the Sunrider's underbelly until months after the Kickstarter and by then the model was already in the game and couldn't be changed. Don't ask questions about what's on the lady's down under for your sake.

The ryders launch and dock from the mouth. The Vanguard cannon also retracts downward from the roof of the tunnel and fires forward.

The ryders can perform an emergency warpout with the Sunrider by just flying within 1000 meters from the outermost part of her hull, so there's no need for them to crash into the hangar for an emergency warp. Numerous times throughout their adventure, the Sunrider emergency warps without docking her ryders. It's actually only the warp core which is jumping, and everything near the warp core which jumps along with it. The ryders can just dock in an orderly manner once the jump is finished.

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 08:25:20 am »

Offline deathzealotzero

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 04:40:31 am »
Ah. Wooly what about the aft-mounted Guns. That is why I got confused with the whole Seventh Savior thing. There are four Savior Turrets each with three guns. Two on the front section and two on the back facing aft. Since if you go regular Naval terminology each cannon barrel is a single gun, for example the Iowa Class Battleship has nine 16-inch guns in three turrets. Which is how I got so confused. /shrug/   

Honestly, I am not that much a fan of having the barrel length of a weapon like the Vanguard Cannon doubling as a launch tube for a ship's parasite complement like that. Therefore I may just use Wooly's Launch Bay idea for it works better in my opinion. Since the Hanger Bay is in the Aft Section of the ship. Or I may just use those openings mid-ship, just bellow the back mounted Savior Turret, as catapults. Granted they are pretty small but could work if they are angled right.

As for the Helldart Launchers I always thought they are built into the superstructure like the Missile Launchers on a Archangel Class Mobile Assault Ship from Gundam SEED.

Anyways, that is about it for now.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:48:50 am by deathzealotzero »
Deathzealot on MechaTalk

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 12:53:10 pm »
You know what?  I never noticed those aft guns... huh...

Offline deathzealotzero

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 04:51:45 am »
/snort/

Don't worry Wooly you are not the only one who has missed something like that. I have couple times when writing some of my Gundam SEED stuff. For example, while the Dominion looks remarkable similar to its sister ship the Archangel there are some small differences and I never noticed them till only recently.

I do admit though I was wondering why you never used them in the story since there are a few times they could have be used. The Helion Battle Scene for example.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 04:54:02 am by deathzealotzero »
Deathzealot on MechaTalk

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 01:24:47 pm »

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 06:07:16 am »
Oh, wooly, you know that I literally have a word with 10 pages of what Samu-kun has answered is canon or not, why do you doubt my words so?  ;)

And on the launching method, while strange, reflecting I kinda prefer it to a simple stern door: It basically gives the same protection while at the same time giving enough space to start accelerating, and acceleration is crucial in any space battle, specially on Sunrider where most battles are range-based.

Of course, things may get a little awkward when you try to fire the Vanguard Cannon, but everything points that firing it is a long process with a longer recharge, so it's ok for me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:19:25 pm by Marx-93 »
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »
Wasn't doubting you at all Marx; you're the closest thing to non-Samu authority on Sunrider we have!  I was just commenting on my own thoughts and (erroneous) beliefs about Sunrider~

Offline deathzealotzero

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2015, 10:57:45 pm »
Sorry Wooly about bringing it up. I kind of get the idea how much this threw you off. Therefore I am sorry.
Deathzealot on MechaTalk

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2015, 11:31:45 pm »
Ah, no, it's nothing like that!  I'm glad to learn what the canon description of the hangar and its launch procedures are, even if I've written myself into a position where I have little choice but to continue the way I thought it was for consistency's sake.

Maybe I should've consulted Marx about all this beforehand...

Offline deathzealotzero

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 01:33:58 am »
Oh. I thought you were upset about the Aft Cannons? and my mentioning of them being used during the Battle at Hecate. /shrug/
Deathzealot on MechaTalk