Author Topic: Questions about the Good Ship Sunrider  (Read 2584 times)

Offline woolyshambler

Re: Questions about the Good Ship Sunrider
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 02:06:36 am »
Well the picture was meant to be tongue in cheek...

Alas...

First Law of Holes: "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
[May 13, 2016, 02:26:28 pm]:   Elvis Strunk will do his best to shoot Eli with a full load.
Elvis Strunk [May 13, 2016, 02:26:45 pm]:   of bullets
Elvis Strunk [May 15, 2016, 03:31:49 pm]:   Knat's the best part of the harem, and the shortest lasting.
Jynx [May 15, 2016, 03:33:36 pm]:   Stop foreshadowing Knat's death
woolyshambler [May 15, 2016, 03:34:13 pm]:   foreshadowing death!? elvis wasn't foreshadowing knat's premature ejaculation problem?

Offline deathzealotzero

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 03:07:48 am »
Have another question!

I was wondering what these areas of the ship are for. The hole looking bits midship is what I am most likely going to use as Catapults. But still I wonder what they are.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:14:43 am by deathzealotzero »
Deathzealot on Fanfiction.Net
Deathzealot on MechaTalk
deathzealotzero on Spacebattles
deathzealotzero on Sufficient Velocity
deathzealotzero on DeviantArt

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 09:07:37 am »
The circle-like thing on the Sunrider's "wings" are something commonly seen in some advanced ships. I thought they would be related to shield generation, given that the old-models who use enormous circular-like generators (the ones on the PACT's BB and CVs at the end, that may seem like propulsion) have none of that. However, the Sunrider, Alliance BBs and PACT Assault carrier don't have it, and while both Sunrider and Alliance's BB were planned to have shields at some point the last never was made to have any. So by now I think it's more the sign of a fairly advanced Warp drive. It's not related to flak, lasers or even Ryders, but we know it's an advanced design of whatever it is.

The catapult-like section below the bridge really seems like a catapult, but besides that there's nothing unusual: The arcs that would act as "walls" protecting what's inside are actually empty and the turret is just upon it, so even as a catapult it would be faulty. I would simply put it as an aesthetic touch, influence of the hundreds of White-Base/Archangel/Argama/etc the Sunrider is totally-notTM. In all cases, given that it's the height around which the bridge seems to be, more armor and sloped makes sense.

And the last bit, well, it seems like it has nothing? If you had to force me to tell you a supposition, I would say the rocket bay and launcher, but I've got nothing.

Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline GeonteneArgon00

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 03:25:50 am »
Ah, no, it's nothing like that!  I'm glad to learn what the canon description of the hangar and its launch procedures are, even if I've written myself into a position where I have little choice but to continue the way I thought it was for consistency's sake.

Maybe I should've consulted Marx about all this beforehand...

You could always try to say the lateral tubes are a secondary or backup deployment vector that Kayto came to favor because of being an unconventional captain. Not every battle specifies how the Ryders were deployed, right?

Offline SharrOfRyuvia

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 03:27:51 am »
Hello, 

Since I am going to be putting together a fanfiction about Sunrider I would like to ask a few questions about the ship itself, not the game. Since I am putting together a background Codex for the Sunrider I need some details to complete it.

First question,

In the official Sunrider Novelization by Wooly it is mentioned that the individual Ryder Bays launch their Ryders into combat. Where at the launch points on the ship's hull. Are they underneath the ship itself? Or elsewhere that is not shown on the Model.

Second question,

Are there any weapons on the ship's Ventral Hull? I.E the bottom of the ship for those not in the know. Since again mentioned in Wooly's Novelization that Ava is called the Ship's "Seventh Savior" by the crew due to her attitude at the beginning of the story. But the ship has four Savior Turrets on the dorsal hull.

I do believe that is it for now. I may have more questions later. Thanks for now.

On the first question, Wooly's novelization of MoA is extremely good and official, but not strictly cannon: The hangars all lead to the giant hole the Sunrider has in the middle of its hull. Yes, the Ryders go out through the same place the Vanguard Cannon shoots; I suppose you could think as the inner Sunrider having 2 big "corridors": one place is the Vanguard's Cannon "barrel" to say, and the other leads to the hangar. To protect both places I suppose there's a fair number of protection and sliding doors.

On the second question, this time wooly's right: there's not two turrets on the ventral hull, but rather they're on the stern, behind the bridge but around the same height as the two forward ones. They should be relatively easy to see in the model.
Actually... that's not entirely true. As Shamu-Kun said, there are not in fact two separate corridors - the Vanguard Cannon descends from the ceiling of the launch tube at the mouth of the ship near the end of the tube. And this is an important distinction because it means that there's no big shaft leading into the core of a weapon that someone could fire a stray shot and blow up to make the ship explode inside-out - which avoids the very same design flaw that the Legion suffered from.

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 04:47:59 am »
Actually... that's not entirely true. As Shamu-Kun said, there are not in fact two separate corridors - the Vanguard Cannon descends from the ceiling of the launch tube at the mouth of the ship near the end of the tube. And this is an important distinction because it means that there's no big shaft leading into the core of a weapon that someone could fire a stray shot and blow up to make the ship explode inside-out - which avoids the very same design flaw that the Legion suffered from.

Yes, good remark. I had it in my notes that it was like that, but as the question was more pertaining to the hangars I didn't expand myself in it, but I should have realized it could be easily misunderstood. If someone got the idea of the Sunrider being like the Legion in that, then I apologize.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home