Author Topic: Science and Technology (FTL Travel is Upon Us)  (Read 5741 times)

Offline FALprofessional

Science and Technology (FTL Travel is Upon Us)
« on: January 05, 2016, 03:49:52 pm »
Given we are here to celebrate and relish in the possibilities of travelling FTL and ultimately the science behind the technology to get us there, I figure it is appropriate to form an area to discuss the cutting edge, of the cutting edge of science and technology in our day and age. To appreciate impressive advancements in science that lead to technologies that make our lives easier and make the world go around more efficiently. I would like to start this off with a new entrant in the attempt to redefine how we approach mobility now and in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDpRDujVKXc .

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:40:56 pm by FALprofessional »

Lord Ignatz

Re: Science and Technology
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 04:20:19 pm »
Speaking of mobility in the near future, a prototype autonomous CitroŽn that could be on the market as soon as 2018 made the journey from Galicia (in northwestern Spain) to Madrid last month.

The C4 Picasso made the 600 km (370 miles) road trip between the two main CitroŽn factories in Vigo and the Spanish capital without the help of a driver at the wheel.

Map showing an approximated route

The "intelligent" car that combines GPS and camera sensors, radar and laser scanners to navigate the roads looks no different from any other car but is intended to make road travel safer by removing human error.

Picture of the prototype

However, at the moment regulations only allow the car to be driven on motorways and dual carriageways and restrict use in built up urban areas.

Another example by Tesla here.

Technology is growing fast! It's both wonderful and creepy! So, is it any wonder that people are afraid of technology?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:22:09 pm by Kana the Boss »

Offline FALprofessional

Re: Science and Technology
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:58:28 pm »
The C4 Picasso made the 600 km (370 miles) road trip between the two main CitroŽn factories in Vigo and the Spanish capital without the help of a driver at the wheel.

Wow, that occurred fairly recently. That is pretty impressive. I was wondering when Citroen would get in the game. The Germans, Americans, and Japanese seemed to be kickin' French butt, but I see they have made a comeback. Better late than never!

However, at the moment regulations only allow the car to be driven on motorways and dual carriageways and restrict use in built up urban areas.

Yes, of course. That is the same way in the US, and I would imagine around the world. This technology has definitely progressed in leaps and bounds, but it is obviously not just yet ready for release to the consumers. It is ever so close, though. Hyundai, Toyota, and Mercedes-Benz have also registered vehicles with the Nevada DMV for CES this year. So, they will be revealing some new things this time around. Mm, very good.

Another example by Tesla here.

Wow! I knew Tesla was making strides in autonomy, but that is impressive. Nice!

Here are some other examples:

- (Mercedes-Benz) This is what Mercedes-Benz offered at CES last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYTV4d-Gn0s .
- (Toyota) Here is some collaboration between Toyota and Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE . Quite an admirable application, if I do say so myself.
- (BMW) Here is something interesting offered from BMW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0JVn67yzCM .

Technology is growing fast! It's both wonderful and creepy! So, is it any wonder that people are afraid of technology?

Yeah, ah, ha, ha. I have seen that before. So good, so good.

Updated: January 05, 2016, 05:26:13 pm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:34:55 am by FALprofessional »

Lord Ignatz

Re: Science and Technology (FTL Travel is Upon Us)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 05:28:23 pm »
Very nice videos, FAL!

And to think that not so long ago autonomous cars and the like were just a sci-fi thing!

James Bond

Knight Rider

Offline FALprofessional

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 05:38:26 pm »
Very nice videos, FAL!

And to think that not so long ago autonomous cars and the like were just a sci-fi thing!

James Bond

Knight Rider

Thanks! That is just all too true, but those classics, though. Mm, wow, mm that Sony Ericsson and that intro music. Ahhh, the classics. So good!

Updated: January 05, 2016, 06:27:37 pm
The future of international space flight: https://blogs.nasa.gov/Rocketology/2016/01/
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:28:46 pm by FALprofessional »

Offline The Loli Assassin

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 06:59:39 pm »
If you want another neat looking car, this was almost the 1979 Ford Mustang.

http://jalopnik.com/the-1979-rsx-rally-concept-is-the-coolest-mustang-never-533416087
"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:20:18 pm »
Jynx so fancy~

Offline Endershadow

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 09:24:43 pm »
Autonomous vehicles have really taken a big step forward... I knew that after Google's proof of concept every manufacturer had started researching on it seriously, but it was not until a little while I realized we're at the level where we can have functioning prototypes.

On Orion, well... Being a little related with my field I can say everyone is a little skeptic. The NASA cuts were a slaughterfest, and what's left is basically a husk with no clear objective; the mission to Mars would require a Space habitat that is still in planning and that would need to be checked and tested extensively (and would basically be as big a challenge and cost as much as Orion itself). I personally believe Orion was left over simply so that the US Government could claim they still hadn't given up on Mars.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline FALprofessional

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 12:54:38 am »
On Orion, well... Being a little related with my field I can say everyone is a little skeptic. The NASA cuts were a slaughterfest, and what's left is basically a husk with no clear objective; the mission to Mars would require a Space habitat that is still in planning and that would need to be checked and tested extensively (and would basically be as big a challenge and cost as much as Orion itself). I personally believe Orion was left over simply so that the US Government could claim they still hadn't given up on Mars.

Ohhh yes. At this point, I do not see solely government headed projects making a successful landing before the private sector does. Whether or not these companies are backed by government figures or not. Domestic issues and international strife are stifling investment into space exploration and all of government headed science and technology research for that matter. On the note of AI and robots, just look at Boston Dynamics. Just as Google (the private sector) made headway on autonomous vehicles, Google wound up purchasing Boston Dynamics, a DARPA hatchling, and now Boston Dynamics has essentially all of Google's resources and assets at their disposal. Bada bing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDZu04v7_hc .

Updated: January 07, 2016, 01:28:45 am
Don't forget AI and robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTOMNkZJRao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzzu7Q-yL7Y

Yeah, I love watching that guy. That is a pretty solid initial solution to ethical dilemmas: https://youtu.be/Tzzu7Q-yL7Y?t=4m10s . When I first saw these, I was in awe and wonder: Honda ASIMO and Kara - Heavy Rain . Have you see his video on Samsung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Afpey7Eldo . It is pretty snazzy.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:29:45 am by FALprofessional »

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:27:44 pm »
The people at Lockheed are/were insane.

"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline FALprofessional

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:35:14 am »

What in the hell was the intention of this aircraft. A fuselage volume of 1,500,000 cu ft. Like, what the heck. Are you transporting thousands of these or something?
Tunnel Boring Machine
Is it also pulling five 747s. I just . . . what!? A crew of 472. I . . . wha?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:37:41 am by FALprofessional »

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 09:49:28 am »

What in the hell was the intention of this aircraft. A fuselage volume of 1,500,000 cu ft. Like, what the heck. Are you transporting thousands of these or something?
Tunnel Boring Machine
Is it also pulling five 747s. I just . . . what!? A crew of 472. I . . . wha?

This is the write-up on the concept from the site I found it on.

In aviation, those who dare to dream are either visionaries or insane. The long road of aviation history is filled with dead-end side roads of designs that simply boggle the mind. Those designs aren't just limited to fanciful thinking by eccentrics, either. Lockheed in the late 1960s devoted a surprising amount of effort to one of my favorite designs that most certainly falls into the "YGBSM" category ("You Gotta Be Sh*tting Me"- the unofficial motto of the USAF Wild Weasels, allegedly what was said by the pilots and WSOs who attended the first briefing on what was then a secret project). At the time Lockheed's Skunk Works had been looking at the feasibility of building an ultra-large transport for the US military and heading into the early 1970s the design evovled into the CL-1201 tailless aircraft that would have been for lack of a better description, a flying aircraft carrier.

The CL-1201 would have weighed in at a massive 5,265 tons with a wingspan of 1,120 feet and a fuselage length of 560 feet (about 2.5 times the length of a Boeing 747) and would have stood 153 feet high. Four massive turbofans would have provided a total thrust of 500,000 lbs. At altitudes below 16,000 feet, the engines would run on standard JP-5 fuel but once at cruise altitude, the engines would switch over to nuclear power, a single nuclear reactor aboard using liquid sodium metal as a cooling medium would transfer energy via heat exchangers to a non-radioactive secondary loop (what's called a closed-cycle nuclear engine). The heat transfer would be used to superheat the incoming area and expel it as jet exhaust. The reactor core would have been 30 feet in diameter with an output of just below 2,000 megawatts. This would have allowed the CL-1201 to cruise at over 30,000 feet at Mach 0.8 for as long as 41 days.

But that was only just part of the utter insanity of this design. It's immense size makes it likely it was probably a flying boat though schematics do show a fairly robust landing gear that may have been for ground handling. In addition to the four giant dual-propulsion turbofans, it also had 182 lift jets- that's right, lift jets. Possibly to shorten the takeoff run, but imagine something this size being VTOL! Two retractable banks of 24 lift jets were in the forward fuselage with the rest of the lift engines distributed along the wings aft of the rear wing spar, giving a total thrust of 15 million pounds!

Two versions of the CL-1201 were proposed- the first one would have been the LSA (Logistics Support Aircraft) which would have been a transport capable of carrying several hundred combat troops and their equipment directly to crisis points worldwide. One substudy even suggested using a 707-type transport to dock with the CL-1201 LSA to shuttle troops and personnel to and from the ground.

The other even more fanciful version was the AAC (Attack Aircraft Carrier). With 845 crewmembers, the AAC could carry 22 multirole fighter aircraft on special docking pylons under the wings. The pylons were large enough to allow fuel, rearmament, and maintenance access to the aircraft. A small internal hangar bay would have carried two small transport aircraft for shuttling personnel to and from the AAC. The defensive armament of the AAC is unclear, but there was suggestion of using AIM-54 Phoenix missiles for self defense as well as the defense provided by its own air wing. There were substudies as well for versions that could have launched battlefield ballistic missiles or function as airborne control centers.

At what point the CL-1201 design faded into obscurity isn't quite clear and there are suggestions that such design work was probably conducted more as an engineering exercise than a serious aircraft proposal. Regardless, the Lockheed CL-1201 flying aircraft carrier remains as one of the most outlandish designs ever worked on by a major aerospace company.

I will disagree with this poster on the part in bold, the design lacks any of the hallmarks of a sea-plane design, and the plane obviously has landing gear (whether or not they would have been capable of holding the plane up is another topic entirely) that would have made loading and unloading personnel and equipment much faster and easier than using it as a glorified landing craft.

Offline FALprofessional

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 10:39:51 am »
that most certainly falls into the "YGBSM" category ("You Gotta Be Sh*tting Me)

Ha, ha, ha. Uh, yeah!

a flying aircraft carrier.
The reactor core would have been 30 feet in diameter with an output of just below 2,000 megawatts. This would have allowed the CL-1201 to cruise at over 30,000 feet at Mach 0.8 for as long as 41 days.
It's immense size makes it likely it was probably a flying boat

Just, mah gawd! You don't understand how close I was to making a comment very similar to the exact description from this poster. I was in the middle of modifying my message, when I thought "No, it couldn't be this insane of a proposed purpose." Right when I was in the middle of typing "Was this going to be the next nuclear submarine of the sky?" Nuclear: it has a nuclear reactor. Submarine: boat -> aircraft carrier. I mean, I was trying to bring some semblance of reasonability to my post, but I see I shouldn't have tried to do so. Gahd!
You don't understand how close I was to posting that. On top of that, I was about to post something regarding VTOL, but I saw you already responded, so I stopped.

the engines would switch over to nuclear power, a single nuclear reactor aboard using liquid sodium metal as a cooling medium would transfer energy via heat exchangers to a non-radioactive secondary loop (what's called a closed-cycle nuclear engine). The heat transfer would be used to superheat the incoming area and expel it as jet exhaust.

That is absolutely genius. What a brilliant solution. The feasibility is another story. We did it for boats, so why not for planes . . . right?

In addition to the four giant dual-propulsion turbofans, it also had 182 lift jets- that's right, lift jets. Possibly to shorten the takeoff run, but imagine something this size being VTOL! Two retractable banks of 24 lift jets were in the forward fuselage with the rest of the lift engines distributed along the wings aft of the rear wing spar, giving a total thrust of 15 million pounds!

What the actual fack!? They just love their VTOL.

Two versions of the CL-1201 were proposed- the first one would have been the LSA (Logistics Support Aircraft) which would have been a transport capable of carrying several hundred combat troops and their equipment directly to crisis points worldwide. One substudy even suggested using a 707-type transport to dock with the CL-1201 LSA to shuttle troops and personnel to and from the ground.

Just, eh! Shuttling people from an aircraft. Just, EH! Wow!

The other even more fanciful version was the AAC (Attack Aircraft Carrier). With 845 crewmembers, the AAC could carry 22 multirole fighter aircraft on special docking pylons under the wings. The pylons were large enough to allow fuel, rearmament, and maintenance access to the aircraft. A small internal hangar bay would have carried two small transport aircraft for shuttling personnel to and from the AAC. The defensive armament of the AAC is unclear, but there was suggestion of using AIM-54 Phoenix missiles for self defense as well as the defense provided by its own air wing. There were substudies as well for versions that could have launched battlefield ballistic missiles or function as airborne control centers.

845 members and 22 multirole aircraft with its own fighter wing! That is what I call an aircraft carrier! Okay, I am done. :-X

Regardless, the Lockheed CL-1201 flying aircraft carrier remains as one of the most outlandish designs ever worked on by a major aerospace company.

Yup, yup, yup. I'D SAY SO!

I will disagree with this poster on the part in bold, the design lacks any of the hallmarks of a sea-plane design, and the plane obviously has landing gear (whether or not they would have been capable of holding the plane up is another topic entirely) that would have made loading and unloading personnel and equipment much faster and easier than using it as a glorified landing craft.

I don't think there is any contention about it landing using landing gear or not being a seaplane. The poster explicitly states there are ground landing gear, and I would say that they acknowledge or at least understand the possibilities of it not being seaworthy.
It's immense size makes it likely it was probably a flying boat though schematics do show a fairly robust landing gear that may have been for ground handling.
But, yes, if we are speaking about this aircraft ever being a seaplane. From the sketches, I don't see the fuselage displacing enough water to create a buoyant force sufficient enough to support the mass of the fully-fueled and equipped wings. I mean, just look at that wing span. The fuel in the those wings would probably be enough to sink it.

Now, now, to what I was going to reply with.
In aviation, those who dare to dream are either visionaries or insane.

Yeah, Lockheed Martin definitely fits that to the "T." They have been working on a joint strike aircraft for 20 some odd years that is suppose to assume the role of all of the major fighter aircraft in the US military's arsenal, while maintaining STOVL and CATOBAR, so yeah.
F-35 Lightning II

CATOBAR

STOVL

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:45:34 am by FALprofessional »

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 11:23:31 am »
I'm fairly well versed on the F-35 project and I HATE it. It's designed to do so many things that it does none of them well without compromising everything else, and even then it doesn't do so for less money than any other aircraft in our inventory today. So basically we're paying more money for less capability.