Author Topic: Sunrider Universe Canon Questions - Physics, Background, Factions, etc  (Read 1048 times)

Offline BandAid

Hello everyone,

I am planning on making a mod for Sunrider. To that end I would like ask a whole lot of questions about sunrider canon. Some of these questions may already be answered on the forum, others are in the game and I could probably look up most of them myself. However, I could save a lot of time if some answers could be gathered by the community.

Canon(Things that are facts in the original game or were answered directly by Samu-kun)

Physics

Semi-Canon(Things which can reasonably be assumed to be canon, but are not definite)

Physics

Reasonable Assumptions)

Physics

Open Questions/Unclear Status

Warping

Warping precisely is very difficult, usually you have to assume that you will end up somewhere in an theoretical "bubble" of possible exit locations. 

Warping out while being affected by gravity results in an even bigger "bubble".

You can jump into solid objects, just not more than once. (Because of precision problems in warping, suicide warp attacks are almost impossible to achieve against planet size targets, against ships you would need all the (bad) luck in the universe.

Communication

FTL-Communication exists and is possible in real time, but only with rare communication arrays(aboard military ships, not at home in your kitchen)

Sensors
 FTL-Sensors exist.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 01:23:43 am by BandAid »

Offline Marx-93

Re: Sunrider Universe Canon Questions - Physics, Background, Factions, etc
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:19:30 pm »
Gathering answers here may be a good idea. I myself have a word document with Samu-kun's word on a lot of things, so I can help substantially.

Warping

You can jump into gravitational fields(up to a point), but you cannot jump out of significant gravitation (Quality of warp drive may be a factor for both)

If you try to jump to deep into a gravitational field, you crash out of warp at a certain distance, possibly damaging your warp drive (Quality of warp drive again may be a factor)

You cannot jump into solid objects, ( Not should not but cannot, otherwise someone would have uses solid object jumping as a weapon) because of gravitational effects, anything without gravitation is probably to small to hit.

About warping:
"Technically, you can never "escape" a gravity well if you're inside a planetary system. If the Sunrider was in the Ryuvia system, then it's inside the Ryuvian star's gravity well by definition. It's really just a matter of degree.

Warping with nearby heavy gravity is not recommended, as the drive out point becomes more and more inaccurate. If your initial jump angle is off by even a fraction, the huge distance that you travel in a straight line during the jump could mean that you drive out hundreds of light years away from where you intended, possibly in enemy territory, or even inside a planet or a star. The time compensation also becomes inaccurate, so the jump could take longer than expected to an outside observer. A week long jump in ship time could have taken one month of regular time, leading to obvious logistical problems when you arrive at your destination behind schedule. FYI, you can only arrive behind schedule because of an inaccurate jump. It's impossible to accidentally arrive before you left"

That's what Samu-kun said about it. And you can actually jump into solid objects, is just a really bad idea (Samu-kun explicitly said "very bad things" would happen). The use of a kamikaze warps drives was discussed, but in general warp drives seem to be expensive, and the accuracy would be a problem (the Sunrider is very accurate due to Chigara's upgrades using the Seraphim, but other ships don't even have the possibility of making short range jumps, so warping just at the point of that ship would be hard).

On communication and sensors, I thinks there has been nothing explicitly said, but given that we have FTL transponders a FTL sensor would be easy: just put a normal sensor and transmit its signal with a FTL transponder (in your example, put a sensor next to the Sun and give it a FTL communicator).
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline SharrOfRyuvia

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 05:05:51 am »
Here's something I'm curious about - the Wishwall.

The way I understand it, it doesn't change time so much as push you into an alternate universe where the decision you made is different. But by that logic... doesn't that mean that, if Kayto uses it, he suddenly phases out of existence in his original universe into the new one?

Meaning he practically destroys/replaces the existence of the Kayto of the universe he's swapping to and leaving his original timeline's waifu's without their captain?

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 06:03:04 am »
Here's something I'm curious about - the Wishwall.

The way I understand it, it doesn't change time so much as push you into an alternate universe where the decision you made is different. But by that logic... doesn't that mean that, if Kayto uses it, he suddenly phases out of existence in his original universe into the new one?

Meaning he practically destroys/replaces the existence of the Kayto of the universe he's swapping to and leaving his original timeline's waifu's without their captain?

He does replace the "Alternate's world Kayto", but I think the implication is that either the original universe is destroyed in some way, or a copy (or the other universe Captain) substitutes him. But yeah, it's not strictly time travel as much as world-hopping.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home