Author Topic: 10/10 best game ever  (Read 5949 times)

Offline Lord Gorchnik

Re: 10/10 best game ever
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2014, 02:29:52 pm »
Just played "The Wolf Among Us", it's quite a good murder mystery.

Truthfully?  Do they actually come close to following the Ten Commandments of mysteries?  Because Umineko sure as hell didn't.

Gorchnik is still mad to this day.  Higurashi was "somewhat believable" if you take out the whole BS
Spoiler
timey-wimey ball
mechanics but Umineko was just a bunch of horse hockey.

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 02:56:29 pm »
Truthfully?  Do they actually come close to following the Ten Commandments of mysteries?  Because Umineko sure as hell didn't.

The Wolf Among Us is kinda a mix between Point & Click and VN. As for the so called 10 Commandments of mysteries:
1. It's still halfway through the story, but I do expect some surprise plot twist involving the characters that have been introduced so far.
2. Well, the story about non-human characters, and there is an element of magic involved (in a good mysterious way).
3. Haven't seen one.
4. No poison.
5. They have a mysterious character, but I don't think he's a "Chinaman" type.
6. Yes.
7. Of course.
8. Absolutely.
9. The main character is a lone wolf.
10. They have twin brothers characters, but their roles have been duly prepared.

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2014, 03:09:28 pm »
It certainly can't be worse than Umineko.  Gorchnik will take a look when he has some free time.  You have done a great service today.  For this you are permitted two scoops of Lord Gorchniks private-blend of Chocolate-Asteroid Chunk Soft Cream.  Rejoice, for this special blend usually runs 499 space credits an ounce.

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2014, 03:31:26 pm »
Darn it. I misread your earlier post as "almost done with the first 8 chapters". Now I'm depressed.

Sorry about that :( - in the meantime you could always pick up Umineko from Mangagamer, install the English patch (and the other glorious unofficial fixes that add in PS3 sprites, music, VA, CGs, etc.), and play that in the meantime! It's from the same author and is just as awesome, so it certainly wouldn't be time wasted!

Lord Gorchnik must admit he was incredibly excited all those years ago when Umineko was announced.  Gorchnik thought the idea of a "down-to-earth" only believes in what he sees kind of guy tries to prove that there was no such thing as "magic" involved in the island murders. 

Then it got really stupid, really fast.
Spoiler
Witches out the wazoo, demonic butlers, psychic powers, big-breasted bunnies, the primary evils wearing girls school uniforms, event resets, time-loops, metaphysics, and two young girls who like to beat the crap out of each other.  What the hell? 

Gorchnik wanted a damn good detective/murder mystery and got this instead!
the whole point of the story is that it's both. the games go into more detail, but there is always a mystery solution to every murder. the flashy magic stuff is a cover for you to peel off and deny, if that's your thing. I recommend you finish the (VN) series anyway.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 08:54:22 pm by Vaendryl »
(╯░□░)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2014, 07:03:38 pm »
I've already experienced Umineko. And Higanbana, which I liked more than Umineko. Higurashi's still my favorite, however. I care more about the characters than the mystery or gore, although I do enjoy both at times. However, I couldn't get into the Umineko characters quite as much as the Higurashi and Higanbana characters, so I just couldn't get into the series quite as much.

Offline RyderMan065

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2014, 08:51:18 pm »
Darn it. I misread your earlier post as "almost done with the first 8 chapters". Now I'm depressed.

Sorry about that :( - in the meantime you could always pick up Umineko from Mangagamer, install the English patch (and the other glorious unofficial fixes that add in PS3 sprites, music, VA, CGs, etc.), and play that in the meantime! It's from the same author and is just as awesome, so it certainly wouldn't be time wasted!

Lord Gorchnik must admit he was incredibly excited all those years ago when Umineko was announced.  Gorchnik thought the idea of a "down-to-earth" only believes in what he sees kind of guy tries to prove that there was no such thing as "magic" involved in the island murders. 

Then it got really stupid, really fast.
Spoiler
Witches out the wazoo, demonic butlers, psychic powers, big-breasted bunnies, the primary evils wearing girls school uniforms, event resets, time-loops, metaphysics, and two young girls who like to beat the crap out of each other.  What the hell? 

Gorchnik wanted a damn good detective/murder mystery and got this instead!

Did you play the games or just watch the anime? The anime is understood as being incredibly poor and it loses a lot in adaptation from the game to the anime. Really, the games mystery is much stronger in Umineko. Like any 07th expansion game though, it's all dependent on how much you like the characters.

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 04:41:58 pm »
Oh trust Gorchnik he indeed played the games.  All of them.  Gorchnik remembers the freezing cold morning when Episode 2 was released and waiting in line with other adversaries vying to get the game.  Hoping and praying that something had changed between the installments.  Alas.

You have to remember there is a thing called suspension of disbelief.  And Gorchnik's quite frankly having lived in Japan is through the roof.  But Umineko......just takes it a couple steps too far for me to truly enjoy it for what it tries to be.