Author Topic: Meido RPG- A Wool-E Korp Experience!  (Read 76671 times)

Offline Marx-93

Re: Meido RPG- A Wool-E Korp Experience!
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 05:18:20 pm »
Uhm, the world doesn't seem too bad, but such regular RPs and some of the other things aren't my cup of tea.

However, I admit I quite like the idea of being an NPC/side-character/whatever/maybe-even-a-villain. I would also allow me to be a powerless, which would be a must to me, while don't being too high of a burden. If you need someone, or have a free spot sometime, call me wooly and I'll give you whatever you want, either be it an evil rant of epic proportions or a exposition-dump of the highest level!
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Online BlackStarLine

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 09:42:09 am »
Sounds similar to the Adeptus Sororitas of 40k... Which is actually a good thing. I'm up for it. Sounds epic.

Online Arraxis

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 06:40:14 pm »
Sounds a little bit like Mai-Otome, actually, in a lot of ways, though not exactly the same. Wooly, if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it since it's pretty good. I won't be thinking of a concept, however, until I know how we're making characters, due to the random nature of both Maid RPG and Dark Heresy.

Anyway, you said our characters will most likely be around college age and in their first year - 18-22. How early are these gifts discovered, since you said that training waits for when they are mentally prepared? How are girls with the potential treated up to this point?

Also, what's this hero-worship like? Do maids end up feeling socially isolated via being put on this pedestal? Do they continue this 'traditional maid' work after graduation, or is that just during training, or do they do some for a period of time each year as a rite, maybe?

Can you tell us more about this 'elemental' system you mentioned on the Cbox? Is that something maids choose, or an innate thing?

What do the final duties of a maid end up being? You mentioned spec-ops style stuff - would it be accurate to say that they might be used as proxies for armies in battles between different Barrier Cities? IE we don't want to waste thousands of lives and other resources in a war, but this conflict requires force, so we'll send our maids on a mission against them where they may fight enemy maids? Would they also function as police?

Offline WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 10:47:24 am »
Make me think a lot of RWBY, if we replace the people who fight( forgot their name in-universe) with maid.

Elvis Strunk [Aug 10, 2016, 12:40:11 am]:   Meta is eternally a loli~
Arraxis [Sep 23, 2016, 11:37:43 pm]:   Love you too Meta

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 01:24:15 pm »
Sounds a little bit like Mai-Otome, actually, in a lot of ways, though not exactly the same. Wooly, if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it since it's pretty good. I won't be thinking of a concept, however, until I know how we're making characters, due to the random nature of both Maid RPG and Dark Heresy.

I've not seen it.  Come to think of it, I've seen very few animes at all...  The number of series I've finished I can count with my two hands.  Thanks for the rec, I'll have a look.

To you other point, that's fair.  I won't be thinking about the mechanics of character creation until I've had a chance to read the rule book.  Having said that, from my understanding watching the videos you sent me, it seems the best way to handle the stats would be similar to how we did it in AdEva.  I'll give you all a base pool of points to allocate to your various attributes however you like and let you roll for a little bit extra on top to give variation to your characters.  Exactly how we do that, I'll let you all know once I know, but I want players to have some degree of control over their attributes and I want to give players at least some control over how their characters are/play.  Same for the other things that aren't stats (like background and whatevers that I forget about); I feel strongly that players should be able to control those aspects so that they can put together a maid they want to play.  If you like random, sure, go ahead and use that generator for some of your stuff, but it's all the same to me if you look through the tables and pick your own color/family history/weapon/etc.

Anyway, you said our characters will most likely be around college age and in their first year - 18-22. How early are these gifts discovered, since you said that training waits for when they are mentally prepared? How are girls with the potential treated up to this point?

Also, what's this hero-worship like? Do maids end up feeling socially isolated via being put on this pedestal? Do they continue this 'traditional maid' work after graduation, or is that just during training, or do they do some for a period of time each year as a rite, maybe?
The Gift can be discovered anytime really; some girls might manifest as toddlers even to someone paying close enough attention.  Others might be picked up as part of routine medical screening.  Not really picky about how you want to go about that.  Probably most girls/young women manifest at school playing sports or something stressful/exciting where they trigger a small, noticeable, but largely harmless burst of magic.

Training is delayed in many cases unless there's some good reason why it shouldn't be (i.e. the girl is an orphan, etc.) so that maids understand normal life and what they'll ultimately be fighting to protect.  Hero worship might be too strong a phrase; it's not like there are people prostrating in front of the maids as they walk the streets.  They're probably viewed in the same way our best scientists/athletes/etc are viewed; with deference and respect (a degree of celebrity from veteran maids with particularly prominent careers too), especially , but not as living gods or anything.  The point is, becoming a maid is something that's received with fanfare and celebration by and far.  It's like earning a scholarship to go to college or being drafted into professional sports.  Girls grow up hoping to manifest and their families are usually thrilled when it happens.  There's no Gestapo crap where maids or the Lyceum send armed forces to bust down your door and drag your daughter away kicking and screaming.  There's also virtually no incentive or desire for the girls themselves or their families to try to hide from the Lyceum, even if it were possible, in part because it's dogma and people are so societally averse to the chaos, violence, and anarchy of the Generations of Strife and the aftermath, and also in part because the Lyceum isn't some kind of jail; it's really quite amazing and maids enjoy a very high standard of life (and excellent benefits~).

Some maids might feel isolated or pressured by the expectations and hopes society places on their shoulders, but it's really quite cordial in the sense that a maid could choose to fade into obscurity by taking a minor teaching position, working to keep the Lyceum functioning smoothly, etc.  For every kick ass spec op type maid, there are probably 2 or three of her sisters who handle things like flying their military transports, assisting routine patrols and supply lines, etc. 

Traditional maid work continues throughout their career as a reminder.  It's not something they devote their whole day to or even every day necessarily.  Think of it as a form of meditation and self-introspection that maids are encouraged to undertake whenever they can afford to do so.  Of course, maids with families probably do this every day just as a matter of taking care of their family at home.

Can you tell us more about this 'elemental' system you mentioned on the Cbox? Is that something maids choose, or an innate thing?
I will when I've finalized it.  For now I've got some cool names and ideas cooking.  That's totally unhelpful I know, but bear with me.  This is something the players will get to choose (probably after the first session) and will be an innate thing to their maid.  I'll likely ask for a primary and secondary element that'll give your maid the magical tools she'll work with for the rest of the campaign.  Don't think of it as simply as water, fire, etc.  It's really more like a school of thought or philosophy/methodology rather than something as banal as "wind"; you'll see when I reveal the full details. 

Another thing is that the Lyceum will have a senior faculty member (a veteran maid) who will primarily be responsible for teaching that particular element and is personally aligned as such.  Everyone will receive basic training in all of them, although they'll really only excel and meaningfully wield their primary and secondary elements to their full potential.  This'll set up a mentor-mentee relationship between your maid and the faculty member.  Expect some degree of rapport and character development to occur as they interact in class, out of class, on missions/field trips, etc. 

What do the final duties of a maid end up being? You mentioned spec-ops style stuff - would it be accurate to say that they might be used as proxies for armies in battles between different Barrier Cities? IE we don't want to waste thousands of lives and other resources in a war, but this conflict requires force, so we'll send our maids on a mission against them where they may fight enemy maids? Would they also function as police?

So the Barrier Cities are largely at peace with one another; there's really nothing to fight over since they're so far apart and nobody's really even close to salvaging Adalstier in areas that would be considered "contested" between cities and, again, people are just so adverse to the Generations of Strife that they won't tolerate open warfare with one another.  Between fighting off monsters and automaton (and believe me, they're a huge threat!  Just ask your average mook who has a battlefield life expectancy of <3 minutes without maid support!).  There's also some kind of annual inter-city maid competition where top maid teams from each city compete against one another; any kind of territorial dispute might be settled there, but, really, the main threat is making sure the monsters and robots don't come crashing into the city to eat everyone or overrun expeditions on salvage or archaeology runs outside of the city.

The police and conventional armed forces are mostly "ordinary" men and women the same as what we'd expect from our own modern society.  Some lower level maids sometimes assist with policing, particularly if things are quiet otherwise or there's some kind of VIP, but it's probably something your average citizen sees only once every few months outside of a "maid day" (title a work in progress) parades and the like.  It's important to realize that for every maid, there are probably easily a hundred ordinary soldiers that provide most of the meat shielding ahem!  Regular patrols and armed responses in the cities and immediate surroundings.  Maids are dispatched to provide assistance at a moment's notice to reduce the number of casualties or to outlying areas that the regular forces would have tremendous difficulty and attrition reaching. 

Thanks for the great questions; keep them coming!

Offline Pal

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 01:38:25 pm »
I'm less interested now. I was hoping for a more "traditional" maid plot/story/theme/whatever responsibilities and less superhero-ish.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:42:35 pm by Pal »

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Online Arraxis

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 10:01:45 pm »
Great answers, too! In regards to elements again - I know it's not finalised - but you mentioned that the maids are assigned to teams or squads for their education - parties, if you will. Does each member of a 'party' have to have a unique element? If so, what if two players both want a particular element? How would you resolve that issue?

What does an average week look like for a student at a Lyceum, or even a day?

Can we expect conspiracies from without or within to bring down the Barrier City from the start, or will this be a little more mundane? Or even more like a slow build-up to a thrilling conclusion? I've no preference, but I thought it'd be nice to get an idea of where you're aiming on the 'epic' scale.

Some of the traits you can have in Maid RPG are quite out there, like catgirls, soul reapers, and vampires. No mechanical effect or anything, but are these things that exist in your world?

Tell us more about the airships!

Online BlackStarLine

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 01:53:54 pm »
Stylistically it sounds similar to this steam-punkish series of books I read... I'll let you know what the titles of the books are when I remember it. But the setting sounds eerily similar in scope to them. The never ending battle between automatons and monsters except in the books there's also open warfare between the "cities".

Online Arraxis

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 10:06:11 pm »
Aeronaut's Windlass? I mentioned that on the Cbox before, so maybe you're thinking of that?

Online BlackStarLine

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 01:59:01 pm »
Nope, different series entirely.

Offline Jynx

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 02:04:23 pm »
Ok, this sounds interesting. I'll definitely make a char - and see where it goes.

Uhm... I might be losing something - but what, in practical terms, makes a maid superior than a normal trained soldier? Reflexes? Strength? You say they're able to manipulate elements, though I assume that, in order to be useful in a military context, these abilities are really impressive on their scale. I assume you mean "traditional" elements (Earth, Water and whatnot)...?

Is there a proper way to counter a maid, without recurring to other maids? I assume there're at least some studies on their particular biology and attempts to replicate it, or instruments to disable their powers. If there weren't, the maids themselves could easily overthrow any civil government and run the cities for themselves (assuming they don't already do that...).

Also... It might sound quite stupid, but... Is this gift only for girls and is there a particular reason for that, other than "it's maids"?

Offline WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 06:21:25 pm »
Oh also, just thought about something : it will not be hard to keep up that rp at the same time as you do AdEva?

Elvis Strunk [Aug 10, 2016, 12:40:11 am]:   Meta is eternally a loli~
Arraxis [Sep 23, 2016, 11:37:43 pm]:   Love you too Meta

Offline Revontulet

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 06:38:40 pm »
As I mentioned to Arra earlier, I have been busy and am getting busier (and dont want to detract what little time I do have available from AdEva). However, I plan on just going with the flow (shall see what happens with my spare time) and intend to create a character. In fact...even without the rule book,etc....I already have!

So, whether she is retained as a PC or as a NPC, I hope you'll enjoy my medio:

Maho Étoile de Avignon [/i]

More details shall come when the call for character sheets go out. *bows*
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:42:00 pm by Revontulet »
Milten [Sep 13, 2016, 03:31:18 pm]:   Come on, Rev's soul is 99% lewd, 1% Kurumi
Deeox2 [Dec 16, 2016, 01:31:10 am]:   ... Wow, I think Jannti broke my world solely by existing, lol.

https://youtu.be/USTCUPm5WB0

Online BlackStarLine

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »
So I finally remembered what the book series I was going on about is... It's entitled Predator Cities, with the first book called Mortal Engines.

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 12:13:36 am »
Great answers, too! In regards to elements again - I know it's not finalised - but you mentioned that the maids are assigned to teams or squads for their education - parties, if you will. Does each member of a 'party' have to have a unique element? If so, what if two players both want a particular element? How would you resolve that issue?

I won't mandate that each maid on the team wield a different primary element, but hopefully the options I come up with for all of you will be attractive enough that each of you wants to try something different.  Mixing and matching primary and secondaries will also allow you some variation even if two maids pick the one of the same elements.  Just remember that if you all pick the same type of element, it becomes very easy for someone to take advantage of your imbalance...

What does an average week look like for a student at a Lyceum, or even a day?

Maids are expected to start the day pretty early.  Most maid students will wake up around 6 and begin their morning rituals.  Proper presentation dictates a certain amount of attention paid each day to grooming, personal hygiene, attire, etc.  Usually by 7, the maids have all reported to the kitchens where they fix their own breakfast.  Cooking breakfast, setting up the dining hall, and breaking it down/cleaning doubles as a lesson in domesticity; usually the recipes they attempt are healthy, energy rich, and delicious as to be expected; the plus side (or downside depending on their cooking ability) is that they get to eat the result, only incentivizing improvement.  The same goes for lunch and dinner.

AM hours are usually devoted to lectures regarding the theory of Adalstier manipulation, history, philosophy, etc.  The Lyceum wants its students to not only be good soldiers, but educated and well rounded in general.  Lectures are given by a number of senior faculty, not all of which are maids themselves.  Males, although they cannot be maids (or butlers as it were) themselves, are at no great disadvantage when it comes to being scholars regarding the nature of Adalstier and its manipulation and application.

After lunch, students undergo practical trials and training, these largely supervised by veteran maids.  Most maids look forward to this part of the day the most as they learn to wield their Adalstier Engines and weapons of choice in tandem.  Physical injuries do invariably occur, but the veteran maids are always on hand and alert to protect the well being of the students from the exercise and from each other.

After dinner, students are free to use their remaining evening to study, pursue extra training with their mentors, attend to their personal quarters, go out to explore the city, or even just loaf around.  There's a fairly soft "curfew" at midnight, but in all honesty, nobody is going to send a maid for disciplinary action if they stay out later.  The rigors of the next day are usually more than enough to remind students that taking care of themselves is the only way they can be strong enough to take care of their duties.

Like our calendar, there are 5 weekdays and 2 weekends.  Maid students are encouraged to use one weekend day to better themselves through independent study/tutoring and catch up, albeit at a more relaxed pace than during the week.  The other day they are encouraged to rest and pursue leisures as they will.  Again, the whole idea is to encourage maids to take care of themselves so as to have the ability to take care of others.

Can we expect conspiracies from without or within to bring down the Barrier City from the start, or will this be a little more mundane? Or even more like a slow build-up to a thrilling conclusion? I've no preference, but I thought it'd be nice to get an idea of where you're aiming on the 'epic' scale.

You won't be dropped into the action right away.  Things are quite optimistic and stable at the get go.  Although events beyond your control are operating in the background, you'll have no way of knowing that and from the perspective of your characters, it's business as usual.  Of course, that would be totally boring to just keep going on with, so yes, it's a safe bet that within a few of the early sessions, historical and world changing events will begin to unfold and your maids will be caught right in the middle of it.  I can only hope the ending is "thrilling."  That would be nice~

Some of the traits you can have in Maid RPG are quite out there, like catgirls, soul reapers, and vampires. No mechanical effect or anything, but are these things that exist in your world?

CATGIRLS!?!  Uh... yeah...  Well, as disappointing as it is, I think we'll probably work with just baseline humans unless that's a huge problem for everyone.  I'm not adverse to having other "races" of peoples necessarily.  After all, it's sort of a lazy cop out if the catgirls and what not have the same culture/society as everyone else.  Then again it's equally lazy to just bar them.  OK fine, catgirls maybe.  Other types of... peoples, negotiable.  You suggest, I'll think about it seriously, although I make no promises at the present (Bracing for a mountain of demanding PMs...)

Tell us more about the airships!
Still working on a fun name for them.  For now, the leading candidate is "Zephyrs".  Zephyrs come in all shapes and sizes, although there are elements of commonality between all of them, namely having a relatively large Adalstier core to keep them afloat and supply power to the ship like a reactor.  Zephyrs also have large, scintillating wings (the number of pairs depends on the size of the craft) that ripple with color as they fly.  Some Zephyrs are large, ponderous constructs, almost like massive blimps.  These usually carry cargo and heavy equipment and it can take them days to weeks to reach other Barrier Cities depending on how far away they are.  There are smaller passenger craft too for those who wish to travel between Barrier Cities on business or otherwise.  More or less similar to international flights in our modern day, these Zephyrs take hours to days to reach their destination, although passage aboard them is relatively expensive and the flight, less than comfortable unless you've really got cash.

Lastly, there are military Zephyrs.  These also range from giant troop/cargo transports to small, nimble craft.  Military Zephyrs are easy to spot due to their sharp, angular and polyhedral frames that are more reminiscent of attack helicopters in our universe versus the smooth, bulbous frames that most civilian craft adopt.  Maids would be most familiar with the tiny types of Zephyrs which most closely resemble VTOL aircraft.  These custom built Zephyrs are immediately recognizable as maid transports and have oversized Adalstier cores that allow incredibly fast insertion and extraction.  Maids trained to fly such craft actually use their powers while flying in order to achieve aeronautical feats that no conventional pilot would be capable of.  Theoretically, they could attempt to pilot any Zephyr like so, but few would be able to withstand the stress without the VTOL's specially built frames.

Uhm... I might be losing something - but what, in practical terms, makes a maid superior than a normal trained soldier? Reflexes? Strength? You say they're able to manipulate elements, though I assume that, in order to be useful in a military context, these abilities are really impressive on their scale. I assume you mean "traditional" elements (Earth, Water and whatnot)...?

I'm very glad you asked this Jynx, because in truth, maids are fundamentally human.  They get tired like everyone else.  They bleed like everyone else.  And they can die like everyone else.  Without Adalstier, they'd be just the same as anyone else.  With the appropriate combat and martial training of course.  The trick is that they're able to manipulate fundamental constants of nature and physics to give themselves an edge, sometimes a quite overwhelming one, over anyone who can't.  I'll give you a small sneak peek (and this is subject to change, mind you).

Eli's elemental alignment is to Distortion.  She's able to manipulate the fabric of space-time around herself or other objects that may be nearby.  As an example of an application of her ability, she can enter a small personal bubble of distorted space-time in which her personal time is far faster than anyone else's.  To an outside observer, she'd be capable of very impressive feats of speed and reaction.  Obviously, this would be bad news for any baddies that have decided to piss her off.  Having said that, many of the creatures and automaton maids are called upon to deal with are still incredibly dangerous despite their abilities; although it sounds overpowered, overconfidence in their own abilities has been the death knell of many a maid team out in the badlands.

Is there a proper way to counter a maid, without recurring to other maids? I assume there're at least some studies on their particular biology and attempts to replicate it, or instruments to disable their powers. If there weren't, the maids themselves could easily overthrow any civil government and run the cities for themselves (assuming they don't already do that...).

Also a great question.  It sort of gets back at the answer to your first question too.  Remember that the maids are human.  Poison, a knife in the back, a bullet to the head; there are plenty of ways they can be killed.  Also remember that for each maid, there are hundreds if not thousands of conventional soldiers, police, etc.  Saying the maids could overthrow the civil government would be like saying the special forces of any given country could stage a coup; sure they might neutralize the head of the government, but how are they going to hold their ground against the entire military?  It's also worth reminding everyone that government is pretty stable on Antiope.  People are happy, the future is looking bright.  Maids aren't a disenfranchised, disgruntled, and repressed aspect of society; they're heroines and public servants.  Don't worry, I'm sure everything's totally fine~

There have been studies on maid biology, although every attempt to replicate it has failed miserably.  There's enough known that it's not inconceivable certain countermeasures have been developed against maid opponents~  How effective they are and what's the nature of these countermeasures is, of course, secret.

Also... It might sound quite stupid, but... Is this gift only for girls and is there a particular reason for that, other than "it's maids"?

Not stupid at all.  Unless someone strongly objects, we'll be running with the idea that the Gift is only found in the fairer sex, for whatever reason.  So basically "it's maids."  Now if someone is going to make a huge stink about it, I would roll my eyes, sigh heavily, and let them make a butler.  But come on... it's Maid RPG.  Sort of.

On Barrier Cities:  Different Barrier Cities have distinctly different cultural values and ambitions, often stemming from the nature of the craft they sprung up around and whose crews the inhabitants mostly descend from.  One Barrier City that formed around the ruins of a First juggernaut war vessel, for example, has a more spartan, militant culture with compulsory military service and the like.  They also undertake far more eradication campaigns against hostile life/errant machinery in the areas surrounding their city in comparison to other cities which may focus more on defense.  Contrast this with a Barrier City that rose from a supply ship.  These folks like making money and live far more comfortably and richly than most others thanks to the stockpiles their ancestors crashed with and used to build their city.  They probably devote a lot of their efforts to becoming the largest economic and manufacturing hub in the area.  These cultural distinctions do flavor the different Lyceums around the world as their administration may have different priorities/paradigms behind their training and use of maids, although the major points about maids we discussed earlier remain in common for all Lyceums. 

Although conflict would seem to be inevitable, again, there's very little motivation to actually engage in warfare or direct confrontation, economically or otherwise.  Also, note that the Lyceums, although duty bound to be supportive of the civil government, are technically neutrally aligned with their own internal directors and the like.  It's safe to say that even if some crazy dictator took the reins of a Barrier City's civil government and declared war that the Lyceum in his/her own Barrier City would probably put him or her down for the good of the people.  Likewise, a Lyceum couldn't simply stage a coup for all the reasons above.  Checks and balances; and it's worked great so far, both parties knowing they have far more to gain with each other than against one another.  Oh, and if that wasn't enough, it's probable a single Barrier City moving against another would immediately result in the rest of the world and all their associated Lyceums joining together to neutralize the aggressor.  Yup.  Peace in our time~