Author Topic: Sierra Ops Update - December 2015 (Tired elf edition)  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Kemeo

Sierra Ops Update - December 2015 (Tired elf edition)
« on: December 24, 2015, 07:36:07 am »
Merry Christmas from the Innomen group!

Your VERY tired elf has a little something for the forum peeps this yuletide season.
(since Santa is busy gorging himself with cookies and milk)

Another battle build! (It didn't even take 3 months this time ;) )
==================================================
https://www.dropbox.com/s/57oga6z9nkrbfze/Christmas%20Build.rar?dl=0
==================================================

The build is essentially a quick start of sort where the player will be guided to the devscreen instantly. After clicking start on the titlescreen, and tinkering Sierra's stats and whatnot you can then proceed playtest it on a demo stage.

New stuff from the last battle build: (assuming anyone actually notices it)
- Ability platforms : these are platforms that don't have any weapons attached to it, instead they perform certain specific functions to help improve Sierra's survival.
- Added 2 new sliders for en allocation the first one affects platform efficiency (as of this moment it only affects the rof of weapon platforms). The other one activates Sierra's self repair modules (the catch is it can only repair sierra to a certain threshold (100%-60%-30% of hitpoints)
- You can now see the remaining hitpoints and shield when hovering over a battle icon
- All tutorials are unlocked and can now be accessed in the escape menu scene (So if you guys have any gameplay question just give it a visit)

***NOTE***
The demo stage is not meant to be balanced in any sort of way, it was made solely for prototyping purposes only. Though our UI designer has reportedly managed to finish it by spamming a certain ability >_<. At any rate I hope to hear more inputs now on the system so I could ironed out any more quirks if any.

==Known bugs and quirks==
- There are certain weapon combinations that when put together effectively pierces the target platform during the preview mode.
- Remember to named each new created weapon differently otherwise the game will get confused when you apply the said weapon.
- You can rename the weapon by clicking on the Weapon Name in the weapon stat preview window during crafting.
- Feature to assign the weapon group when adding new weapons (<= currently they all get assigned to 1, forgot to take this up with the ui guy)
- <to be expanded as inputs comes>

And with that I'll will now be stuffing myself with holiday foods, drinking eggnog and singing Christmas carols until the new year.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 07:38:03 am by Kemeo »

Offline Marx-93

Re: Sierra Ops Update - December 2015 (Tired elf edition)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 09:58:38 am »
Yeah, I think that I'll be busy too, so I won't be able to test it until later. looking forward to it though!
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:57:29 pm »
Okay, I'm very sorry for the great delay, but holidays and business has just kept me out of it for a long time.

Well, first of all, the weapon creation is very bugged: the creation phase itself is fine (though rate of fire appears as red when lowering, despite the fact that this should be an advantage and thus in green like the RUs), but first the names are bugged: no matter which name you put your weapon, it will always first appear to be saved as the first name you put (so, if you name your first weapon "A", even when making "B" it will later appear as "A" even if the weapon is completely different). You can try to modify the name to be saved correctly, but sometimes it will work, sometimes not, sometimes it will change the name to the name of a previous weapon you managed to name correctly, etc. Sometimes it even forgets certain weapons you made before and even equipped.

Not only that, most of the hardpoints don't appear when trying too equip weapons, and as you don't have a map of the current weapons, you don't know if they're even equipped or not (someway to check the currently equipped weapons and change them should be a priority). Even with the hardpoint not appearing, trying to click where they are doesn't work. There seems to be hardpoints available only to certain weapons, but neither the tutorial nor the screen seem to help you with that.

Also, the balance of some parts seems a little strange: there are some parts that just change the order of skills depsite being more expensive, and some that despite being more expensive are in theory worse (for example, the SRM Booster is fairly better than the Cruise Booster despite being significantly cheaper).

With platforms there's problems too. First, despite seeing the tutorial it doesn't appear on the tutorial section later (oh, and to me there's 0 tutorials unlocked at the beginning, and it only unlocks the ones you see) . Second, there's only one hangar available and no way to use the other four (at least not an easy manner, not even upgrading the Sierra itself works), and all the platforms cost 0 RU (to buy or sell).

The upgrades are fine, though it seems there's no way to upgrade the abilities for now. Also, some of the stats affected seem to need a lot of levels to increase even by a little, and some don't seem to change at all (looking at you ship velocity and ROF bonus...).

The combat... well, seems good (the cursors look really good, even if I can't differentiate which of blue or orange thingies is the health bar), but it was really unoptimized to me. Maybe it was my computer at that moment, I will check it later, or the big number of projectiles but it basically ran at jumps, with no smooth transition at any moment (I literally saw the screen jumping whether zooming, moving or simply seeing the missiles come). Also, it seems to still have some problems with the limits of the maps: there was an Ares ship that was literally out of the borders, not doing anything (it didn't attack me but neither I could attack it) but appearing as a cursor and sometimes moving. Also, the quitting game button either doesn't work or it does with a very big delay.

Overall, a little too buggy for my tastes. Didn't have as much fun as the others.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Offline Kemeo

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 12:49:52 am »
but it was really unoptimized to me. Maybe it was my computer at that moment, I will check it later, or the big number of projectiles but it basically ran at jumps, with no smooth transition at any moment (I literally saw the screen jumping whether zooming, moving or simply seeing the missiles come).

Can you upload the output_log file inside the data folder so I can look at it, usually there's an error being triggered every frame when the lags happens.

For the rest, I'am going to try and sort them out. Thanks for the input.

P.S. I still can't believed the tutorial didn't worked I even added an unlocked flag for that T_T.
Turns out I forgot to set it to true I hate myself.....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:57:37 am by Kemeo »

Offline Pal

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:24:33 am »
Well, we still love you. :P

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 04:32:42 pm »
Can you upload the output_log file inside the data folder so I can look at it, usually there's an error being triggered every frame when the lags happens.

For the rest, I'am going to try and sort them out. Thanks for the input.

P.S. I still can't believed the tutorial didn't worked I even added an unlocked flag for that T_T.

Here it goes. I suppose it's this one? (I compressed it due to being too big for the forum to handle, with being so big I think it's pretty likely there was something going wrong we didn't catch).

And on the rest, don't worry. Beta-testing is done to catch these kind of dumbish things that always slip by. In in fact feel bad for not being able to have done it earlier.