Author Topic: I don't know how to feel about Liberation Day not having english va's?  (Read 5383 times)

Offline lolimeta1

I mean yeah as weeb I was looking forward to having official Japanese va's but Asaga sounds so off??? I mean all the other characters sound fine but Asaga's my fave character from Sunrider :/ I feel a bit let down for some reason. It's kind of the first time I enjoy listening to an English va instead of the usual Japanese one because even if it wasn't super professional at least it felt like it truly was the voice of that character. I don't know, anyways, have you guys been playing it? Are you excited it already got on Steam after awhile of waiting? (like 6 hours)

Offline Geocorn

as a non weeb I miss them, it's so weird to my ears hearing the characters I've grown familiar with have different voices, not even just the language being different.

Offline Pal

I'm not sure if I'm interested in it if there is no English option...

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline Shirley

I feel a bit let down for some reason. It's kind of the first time I enjoy listening to an English va instead of the usual Japanese one because even if it wasn't super professional at least it felt like it truly was the voice of that character.

Hello! Yes, can answer this for you!

Fun fact: Asaga's character was voiced by a professional (not top professoinal though) VA, Kira Buckland, who has landed actual roles in anime, not just small games and other side projects.

So, to answer why you can't get over the voice:

When a character gets a voice, IMMEDIATELY, they are given life. That character is now alive to you and they have a personality.

When you CHANGE the voices, the character you used to know and love is now dead, and has been replaced by this new character who is different.

This is why most people have trouble transitioning back to English dubbed anime after transitioning to Japanese dubbed anime. They started watching subbed anime because their friends were watching it or the English releases were a year behind, so they wanted to stay current. Or, we just didn't get a release (I wonder why...)

Anyway, hope that helps.
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! Because you all suck and need to lighten up  Me In a Nutshell
KomiTsuku [Sep 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM]:But tentacle monsters are our friends. BITE ME UNIVERSE [Oct 16, 2016, 09:21:04 pm]:   because one type of forbidden love just isn't enough Afro-Kun [Facebook Nov 21, 2015, 22:40:01 PM]: "I WAS JUST HANDED TEA AND THEN; Friend: "I put the tea in "NTR"!" FRIEND PLS"

Offline Lord Gorchnik

Gorchnik misses Sola's English "Huh?" when clicking on her in battle as well as Ava's "FIRE SAVIORS!"

But otherwise Gorchnik doesn't mind either way.

Offline TooNice

Haven't played (or bought) the game yet, but I just checked out the trailer video on Steam.

What I had in my mind for Asaga's voice was something a bit more tomboy-ish or older. I think that I can get used to it, but it does sound more childish than her appearance.

That said, overall, I far prefer the Japanese VA from the limited samples in the video. Especially Icari. Gosh I was so put off by her lines in Mask of Arcadius.

The thing is, I do understand Japanese, and I have lived in Japan where I've watched many anime unsubtitled (and many others subtitled before I lived there).

So I've grown to associate anime character archtype with Japanese voice (and often with a certain kind of voice).

The reason I couldn't handle Icari at all is because "Tsundere" is such an Japanese anime archtype and when translated and voiced into English just make me cringe.. It probably won't matter who voices it.

So while Asaga's voice in Japanese is a different from what I imagined, I think that in the long time, I will prefer it to the English version (which I found it weird and cheesy, but somehow got used to).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:59:21 am by TooNice »

Offline Marx-93

Having played the Beta, I can assure Asaga's VA improves leagues by the end of the game. Yeah, at the beginning she sounds really off (basically, she probably was given the standard "small summary" of Asaga and so she acted her like if all the character development until that moment had disappeared), but at the end she does mostly well. The biggest failure in my eyes is Sola. Chigara's fits the character so much it's not even funny, and it's truth that Icari probably takes the cake. Everyone else is voiced competently. Grey sounds a little raspy, and Fontana a little older than what his sprite seems, but both of their VAs are very competent.

All in all though, I can't help but feel stripping the English voices was a great mistake; even if they couldn't do a full dubbing it shouldn't have been all that hard to at least maintain the battle ones.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline John Titor

Having played the Beta, I can assure Asaga's VA improves leagues by the end of the game. Yeah, at the beginning she sounds really off (basically, she probably was given the standard "small summary" of Asaga and so she acted her like if all the character development until that moment had disappeared), but at the end she does mostly well. The biggest failure in my eyes is Sola. Chigara's fits the character so much it's not even funny, and it's truth that Icari probably takes the cake. Everyone else is voiced competently. Grey sounds a little raspy, and Fontana a little older than what his sprite seems, but both of their VAs are very competent.

All in all though, I can't help but feel stripping the English voices was a great mistake; even if they couldn't do a full dubbing it shouldn't have been all that hard to at least maintain the battle ones.

Icari's VA does a great job, and I can also confirm Asaga's VA gets better the farther you go in the game. And yeah, Chigara's voice  fits the character archetype far too well.

I do miss the battle English quotes, though...

Currently playing through all western released FE games
Completed: Fire Emblem, Fire Emblem:The Sacred Stones, Fire Emblem Awakening, FE: PoR, FE: RD (Hard Mode Complete), FE: SD, Fe Fates
Playing:  Fe Conquest Lunatic
Mafia Awards : Cockblocker, I will drive you to School

Offline Spectre1

I wasn't sure how I felt about the Japanese voice overs initially.  Most of them grew on me except Sola.  I've never been able to get used to hers.

I understand putting in the Japanese voice overs and not doing full English  but I'm still not convinced it was nessessary to remove the already existing English battle callouts
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:45:22 pm by Spectre1 »

Offline lolimeta1

I feel a bit let down for some reason. It's kind of the first time I enjoy listening to an English va instead of the usual Japanese one because even if it wasn't super professional at least it felt like it truly was the voice of that character.

Fun fact: Asaga's character was voiced by a professional (not top professoinal though) VA, Kira Buckland, who has landed actual roles in anime, not just small games and other side projects.

When a character gets a voice, IMMEDIATELY, they are given life. That character is now alive to you and they have a personality.

When you CHANGE the voices, the character you used to know and love is now dead, and has been replaced by this new character who is different.

This is why most people have trouble transitioning back to English dubbed anime after transitioning to Japanese dubbed anime. They started watching subbed anime because their friends were watching it or the English releases were a year behind, so they wanted to stay current. Or, we just didn't get a release (I wonder why...)

Anyway, hope that helps.

Yeah! With anime it's a different matter because I'm used to listening to the original Japanese voice cast for most of my favorite characters so it's always hard to give a new english va a chance when I know most of them will do a terrible job but with Sunrider they did such a phenomenal job with each character that it really showed how much love they poured into their own work. I really appreciated that. That's kind of how I feel atm. I feel as if my favorite character is dead and I know I shouldn't be complaining as much but it hurts because I got emotionally attached to Asaga and Asaga's original voice being a cute dork in the space battlefield while destroying tons of mechas / spaceships. I'm glad you at least get why I'm feeling this way. Thanks for replying!

Updated: March 05, 2016, 04:32:43 pm

This is the kind of reply I was waiting somebody to give me. Thank you so much! It gives me hopes that her new va will improve over time of playing. Guess there's no more than to just give it a chance. Your reply is much appreciated!

Updated: March 05, 2016, 04:35:10 pm
Haven't played (or bought) the game yet, but I just checked out the trailer video on Steam.

What I had in my mind for Asaga's voice was something a bit more tomboy-ish or older. I think that I can get used to it, but it does sound more childish than her appearance.

That said, overall, I far prefer the Japanese VA from the limited samples in the video. Especially Icari. Gosh I was so put off by her lines in Mask of Arcadius.

The thing is, I do understand Japanese, and I have lived in Japan where I've watched many anime unsubtitled (and many others subtitled before I lived there).

So I've grown to associate anime character archtype with Japanese voice (and often with a certain kind of voice).

The reason I couldn't handle Icari at all is because "Tsundere" is such an Japanese anime archtype and when translated and voiced into English just make me cringe.. It probably won't matter who voices it.

So while Asaga's voice in Japanese is a different from what I imagined, I think that in the long time, I will prefer it to the English version (which I found it weird and cheesy, but somehow got used to).

Like I've stated before when it comes to anime I can't stand english dubs because most of them are bad or they 'try' to do a terrible job along the process. I know Asaga's english voice was cringey or cheesy or what have you's but it was her voice and it suited her personality. It was in her character to be cringey, weird, cheesy and off most of the time so it went right in with how she handled things but yeah I see where you're coming from. Honestly I'm just glad we got a new Sunrider installment and am probably going to buy it just to support Love in Space and keep getting more of my space waifu.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:35:10 pm by lolimeta1 »

Offline Geocorn

Is it just my speakers, or does Sola sound tinny? Like she's at a lower bit rate than everybody else or something.

Offline TooNice

[...]Chigara's fits the character so much it's not even funny[...]
Yeah, that was my first impression on the short trailer clip too.

Yeah! With anime it's a different matter because I'm used to listening to the original Japanese voice cast for most of my favorite characters so it's always hard to give a new english va a chance when I know most of them will do a terrible job but with Sunrider they did such a phenomenal job with each character that it really showed how much love they poured into their own work. I really appreciated that. That's kind of how I feel atm.
In my case, one of the first heard of the VA in Mask of Arcadius, it was "Yikes, this will take a lot of getting used to". I also felt that heart and effort into the VA's work, and wanted to like it, but even after completing the game, Japanese VA remained on top of my wish list for a sequel (though I never thought they'd actually implemented it - the game not being a Japanese production after all). It's not just anime that I watch in Japanese, I've played games, VN's dating sims etc. in Japanese too, so as soon as I see characters that I feel are based on Japanese anime character / waifu archtypes, I will have a strong preference for Japanese.

Given the choice of having ONLY Japanese VA or ONLY English VA, I will have to go with Japanese VA all the way for this game. But that's not to say that I am against having English VAs for those who prefer it. If not a full dub (which will probably add quite a bit of cost), then having the option of choosing the voices in Mask of Arcadius during battle would be a nice for those who prefer it.

Offline AkioKlaus

so far missing kira but thats prolly cuz I like her voice in most of her roles.

I would blindly assume she is too expensive at this point was the reason.

Sola seems a bit high pitched for me atm, Wonder how would the VA sound lower pitched.
Currently- No good college game design student, too much anime in life
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Histidine

Sola
It occurs to me that if I'm correct that it's Tina Kim singing in Lost History (the character song Ice Blade did for Sola), she likely would have done a better job voicing for LD than Nakase Hina did.

Offline Shirley

Spoiler

Anyway, hope that helps.

Yeah! With anime it's a different matter because I'm used to listening to the original Japanese voice cast for most of my favorite characters so it's always hard to give a new english va a chance when I know most of them will do a terrible job but with Sunrider they did such a phenomenal job with each character that it really showed how much love they poured into their own work. I really appreciated that. That's kind of how I feel atm. I feel as if my favorite character is dead and I know I shouldn't be complaining as much but it hurts because I got emotionally attached to Asaga and Asaga's original voice being a cute dork in the space battlefield while destroying tons of mechas / spaceships. I'm glad you at least get why I'm feeling this way. Thanks for replying!

Certainly!

Glad you liked the English VA as well!
IT'S A CONSPIRACY!! Because you all suck and need to lighten up  Me In a Nutshell
KomiTsuku [Sep 22, 2015, 03:43:44 PM]:But tentacle monsters are our friends. BITE ME UNIVERSE [Oct 16, 2016, 09:21:04 pm]:   because one type of forbidden love just isn't enough Afro-Kun [Facebook Nov 21, 2015, 22:40:01 PM]: "I WAS JUST HANDED TEA AND THEN; Friend: "I put the tea in "NTR"!" FRIEND PLS"