Author Topic: Questions about the setting  (Read 1015 times)

Offline PalmettoPilot14

Questions about the setting
« on: March 20, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »
I had some questions about the setting and I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

What is this virus thing I keep hearing about?  As well what was the Day of Death's Veil that resulted in this virus?  Because we have elves, kitsune, etc living alongside humans so I'm trying to understand how the different races came to be.

Where is the capital for each of the three interstellar empires?

Why haven't we seen any androids or robots yet?  Are there laws against them (similar to the ones in the setting of Mass Effect)?

Are things like battlesuits and psionics present in the Rising Angels setting (i.e. Battlesuits like those seen in Starcraft)?

What cities were damaged/destroyed during the Imperial invasion of Earth?

Well that's all the questions I can come up with.  I hope someone can answer my questions.

Offline KomiTsuku

Re: Questions about the setting
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 05:57:13 pm »
The Day of Death's Veil was the day that a virologist from the Katajion Directorship (that's right, there is time-travel/chicken and the egg arguments in the series) unleashed a viral weapon against the people of Earth in 2006. The weapon caused mutations in the body and eroded mental facilities. A Katajion task force went in to attempt to restore order, but suffered sabotage and most ships were considered lost on the planet. While humanity suffered losses during the ordeal and civilization was thrown into chaos, teams of scientists around the world began to work on ways to control and cure the mutated humans. Others fled into space on the fleet that went down on Earth to setup new civilizations outside the burning Earth.

In time, progress was made against the various strains. Using genetic engineering, humanity soon was able to control their mad brethren and worked to bring some semblance of normality back to the world. Many people underwent gene therapy to breed out the less desired physical traits, over time breeding out some of the more “ugly” mutations and genetically making the better ones more appealing. True aliens have yet to be discovered in the universe, though I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't found sooner or later...

Earth is the capital of the Katajion Directorship as they were the ones that manage to secure the homeworld during the revolution. The Raltins setup their capital not too far from the border of their space and the directorship on a world called Voltran. As for the Ryu'llians, I am going to have to dig into my records to find the answer to that one.

Because of the technology and time lost during Death's Veil, the following years at developing a cure, settling new territory, and the dark ages in the era of the United Confederation of Planets, technology isn't that advanced. Most of the advanced things like spaceships are difficult to produce and aren't available in large numbers. That includes things like androids and higher-level function robots. They are there, but they are incredibly uncommon outside of military and wealthy civilian use. Most androids are built as user interfaces with large military vessel systems and their bridge crews.

There are battlesuits used on less hospitable worlds, but they are considered more of a Raltin Empire tech. Katajions prefer a smaller system that allows for higher mobility and utility. As for psionics, they have only been found to be at any sort of measurable level in the people of the  (depending on where in the timeline we are) neutral world of Blueshend. Scientists are still working on discovering if it is something genetic from the lost refugees from Earth who fled there or a cause of the world's environment.

40% of major population centers in Eastern Europe and about 30% of major population centers in North America, as they were the primary focus of the invasion. The former district capitals of Chicago, Bucharest, and Richmond that had previously survived Death's Veil were almost completely obliterated during the invasion as the bulk of the fighting took place within 150 miles of those points.

Offline Geocorn

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 06:20:02 pm »
not even the Dreamons are aliens?

Offline PalmettoPilot14

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 02:09:23 am »
The Day of Death's Veil was the day that a virologist from the Katajion Directorship (that's right, there is time-travel/chicken and the egg arguments in the series) unleashed a viral weapon against the people of Earth in 2006. The weapon caused mutations in the body and eroded mental facilities. A Katajion task force went in to attempt to restore order, but suffered sabotage and most ships were considered lost on the planet. While humanity suffered losses during the ordeal and civilization was thrown into chaos, teams of scientists around the world began to work on ways to control and cure the mutated humans. Others fled into space on the fleet that went down on Earth to setup new civilizations outside the burning Earth.

In time, progress was made against the various strains. Using genetic engineering, humanity soon was able to control their mad brethren and worked to bring some semblance of normality back to the world. Many people underwent gene therapy to breed out the less desired physical traits, over time breeding out some of the more “ugly” mutations and genetically making the better ones more appealing. True aliens have yet to be discovered in the universe, though I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't found sooner or later...

Earth is the capital of the Katajion Directorship as they were the ones that manage to secure the homeworld during the revolution. The Raltins setup their capital not too far from the border of their space and the directorship on a world called Voltran. As for the Ryu'llians, I am going to have to dig into my records to find the answer to that one.

Because of the technology and time lost during Death's Veil, the following years at developing a cure, settling new territory, and the dark ages in the era of the United Confederation of Planets, technology isn't that advanced. Most of the advanced things like spaceships are difficult to produce and aren't available in large numbers. That includes things like androids and higher-level function robots. They are there, but they are incredibly uncommon outside of military and wealthy civilian use. Most androids are built as user interfaces with large military vessel systems and their bridge crews.

There are battlesuits used on less hospitable worlds, but they are considered more of a Raltin Empire tech. Katajions prefer a smaller system that allows for higher mobility and utility. As for psionics, they have only been found to be at any sort of measurable level in the people of the  (depending on where in the timeline we are) neutral world of Blueshend. Scientists are still working on discovering if it is something genetic from the lost refugees from Earth who fled there or a cause of the world's environment.

40% of major population centers in Eastern Europe and about 30% of major population centers in North America, as they were the primary focus of the invasion. The former district capitals of Chicago, Bucharest, and Richmond that had previously survived Death's Veil were almost completely obliterated during the invasion as the bulk of the fighting took place within 150 miles of those points.

Wow.  So androids have no rights then?

I was not expecting a time travel event of being the cause of the virus.  A neat and unexpected twist!  I like it! 

So are there super soldiers like Captain America or cyborgs like Robocop?  How widespread are cybernetics?

Are cyborgs treated any differently from virus born or are they feared by both normal humans and virus born?

Has there been a rebellion against any of the three interstellar empires by their colonies?  And what happened to said rebellious planets?

Are there other interstellar groups/governments out there, i.e. Groups of space nomads, rebellious border worlds, teams of superheroes etc?

Come to think about it are there mechs like those seen in Gundam?

This might be a touchy question here but what religions are practiced in the Rising Angels setting?

How much of the known universe has been explored/colonized? 

Are the Martian colonies constantly in a state of rebellion against the Directorship?  Sorry I've seen way too many episodes of Babylon 5 where this was a constant theme.