Author Topic: Yuri Manga Thread  (Read 524 times)

Offline Deeox2

Yuri Manga Thread
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:38:36 pm »
Hey Deeox has some recommendations, and maybe he just wants to dump all the good stuff so he can reference back in like. Two years.

Series

Bright and Cheery Amnesia
Spoiler

This series focuses on the adult life relationship of Arisa and Mari (usually referred to as Mari-san) after Arisa develops a case of amnesia. However, this isnít an angsty story. Not even slightly, I would say. The story is more focused on the rediscovery of the love between the two characters, and also since itís a comedy series, that too. Itís good. Read it.

Dynasty Scans

Futari Monologue
Spoiler

So this one is about two girls who were friends in elementary school but are now in highschool. The catch is that one of them accidentally pushed the other away and then the other one had to move because of their ďfamily situationĒ. The entire story is a comedy predicated on both characters constantly misinterpreting the actions of the other, but somehow making it work in the end. Itís also yuri, so thatís good.

Dynasty Scans

Yuri Natsu Kagaya Inn
Spoiler
I cannot find a decent image for this one.

This series is the first major serialized work by the mangaka Mochi Au Lait. Two things I have to say about the mangaka: thereís a lot of incest, and they can be really damn kinky person. I personally stay away from the incest stuff, because Iím obviously not into that, but Yuri Natsu is particular. It deals with the happenings at ďKagaya InnĒ, an onsen resort on some smaller Japanese island. The plot is that a whole bunch of yuri couples either come to the resort, or are created there (as well as a bunch of yuri material involving the family itself). The series has three flavours, as it were. Cute and romantic, comedic, andÖ kink. Thereís been watersports references and I think right now thereís some domination stuff but itís not really consensual so idonítknow!? Itís okay, and certainly not for everyone.

Dynasty Scans

Prism
Spoiler

Prism is about a girl who falls in love with a boy years ago during a trip to the seaside. Well, turns out that boy was actually a girl and now they go to the same high school. Very quickly they enter a romantic relationship, and as such the theming of the work is mostly upon that relationship. I would describe it as being about being a lesbian highschool student in Japan, but it isnít really about discrimination, more about experiences and first love. Unfortunately, the mangaka got caught tracing pictures of real life stuff and Prism got canceled! So what there is is what you get, but what there is is pretty good.

Thereís also a lot of kissing and stuff.

Dynasty Scans

Kase-san
Spoiler

How can you even begin to talk about yuri manga without talking about Kase-san. It is a prime example of quality highschool yuri. Itís a feel good manga, with comedic elements. One never particularly doubts the validity of the relationship between Yamada and Kase-san. They are both very quickly mutually supportive of one another, and I think that is the main draw of the series. Two girls in love with one another, being supportive, and figuring their way through their relationship.

Dynasty Scans

Yamada to Kase-san
Spoiler

Itís the sequel. Itís more of the same and thatís great. Read it.

Dynasty Scans

A Secret Just Between You and Me
Spoiler

Two highschool girls kiss a bunch and stuff and the art is really pretty, but really there isnít much else to it.

Dynasty Scans

Seifuku no Vampiress Lord
Spoiler

Well, this is an interesting one! So basically, this highschool girl gets bitten by this extremely hungry vampire dude and it turns her into a vampire. Obviously the solution to this problem is to let the guy stay at your house and let him read all your manga. Of course thereís the problem that you have to drink blood and stuff. So the obvious solution to that problem is to start drinking the blood of your best friend in a completely consensual manner. Pretty nice, if I do say so myself.

Dynasty Scans

Oneshots and Other Stuff that isnít Serialized

Transgender Yuri by Garun
Spoiler
This oneís pretty good. A textless story about two childhood friends that part and then one comes back and is like ďhey Iím a girl nowĒ. Pretty good. Pretty pure. It also technically doesnít have a title, but I think thatís pretty accurate to the theming.

Dynasty Scans

Witness by m.k.
Spoiler
I picked this one as a representative of the work of m.k. I think their school girl yuri stuff is pretty cool. Just regular yuri fluff. Good stuff.

Dynasty Scans

Offline mikebrand83

Re: Yuri Manga Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:41:47 am »
Throwing in some random additions (aka titles I read recently and liked)...

Gamma
"It's an age where aliens, monsters and other dangers threaten the Earth, and various heroes have risen to protect it. Supporting these heroes are the human defense forces, of which the sisters Kitajishi Miyuki and Yuri are a part. Specifically, their office is for hero consultation, and they help heroes solve their problems, but they also help evacuation procedures during emergencies. Yuri was formerly an immensely powerful and popular magic girl, but now she helps protect people in a more human way. In their first case, they consult with a hero who has lost his powers, and is trying to find a way to live as an ordinary human." -tethysdust
Thereís a lot of sis-con affections at the start, but the sisters do end up developing more serious (yuri) relationships with their own pairings as the series goes on. Also, volume 1 is mostly light hearted, but the series gets pretty serious from volume 2 onwards.
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/gamma

Love/Death
In short: Yuri Yanderes. Basically played for laughs, as typical relationship misunderstanding cliches repeatedly ends up with them swinging, throwing, or shooting deadly weapons at each other until they resolve it, leaving their surroundings wrecked.
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/lovedeath

Offline Deeox2

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 01:47:16 pm »
Oh yeah, Love/Death is great.

I think I read that in like, 2014 or something. There's stuff I need to reread from back then and toss on the list.

Never heard of the other one, though.

Offline BlackStarLine

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 10:58:24 pm »
No mention of what appears to be one of the most popular yuri manga around at the moment? No love for Citrus?

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 11:12:09 pm »
Guess it's more like: Everybody should already know of Citrus, so the focus is more on relatively obscure, easily overlooked series?

(Besides One Punch Man, Citrus is one of the very few series that I'm still getting the printed copies of, as I go more and more towards digital only with BookWalker.)

Offline Deeox2

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 12:55:55 am »
I actually just.

Don't like Citrus.

Not into incest or loads of angst, as should be evident by what I wrote below my recommendations. also the use of non consensual kissing makes me rather uncomfortable to be honest.

Also according to some shmuck on the Dynasty Scans Discord, Sweet and Cheery Amnesia is the most popular in Japan right now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 01:06:36 am by Deeox2 »

Offline BlackStarLine

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 01:06:15 am »
Bear in mind I did say 'Appears to be'