Author Topic: Save Compatibility and Patching Bug Fix  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Samu-kun

Save Compatibility and Patching Bug Fix
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:48:28 pm »
Some people have been having corrupted game data because of our experimental save compatibility system. The system will automatically fix old save files to make your save files from prior betas work with new betas. If you encounter problems with the save file fixer, you can resolve many issues by simply going into the "game" folder and deleting all the files ending with the format ".rpyc" then restarting the game. WARNING: Leave the files ending .rpy alone.

Installing a patch may sometimes also corrupt game data. To properly install a patch, please delete all the .rypc files in the same manner as above.

If you still encounter problems, please start a bug report containing the save file and the error message. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:09:36 am by Samu-kun »

Offline Vaendryl

Re: Save Compatibility Bug Fix
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 02:08:54 am »
It doesn't seem possible to me that this particular issue is caused by the save compatibility feature, but I can't disprove the notion either >.>

for now though, the general rule will have to be: "whenever downloading a new patch, delete all .rpyc files afterwards".
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 02:27:30 am »
Do you think I should set my modloader to do the same?

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Samu-kun

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:07:56 am »
Strangely enough, this issue popped up about the same time we rolled out the save compatibility fixer and didn't happen with the patches before Beta 3.

I think. ._.

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 03:48:52 am »
Strangely enough, this issue popped up about the same time we rolled out the save compatibility fixer and didn't happen with the patches before Beta 3.

I think. ._.

It only started popping up after I released patch 3.1. this patch does many things, but compiling the script files is something even beyond renpy I think... It's a python module that does that afaik. the code you and I write gets compiled, but it doesn't run or do anything until well after the fact. the compatibility code gets run after a save file gets loaded, but compiling gets done before you even see the splash screen. when it fails (like with your typical syntax error) you'll know it before you'll see any part of the game again.

I made a post about it on the renpy forums but thus far no reaction from anyone. I should contact Tom directly about this and see if he knows something.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:53:20 am by Vaendryl »
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9