Author Topic: The almighty SPAM TOPIC!  (Read 971020 times)

Offline Elvis Strunk

Re: The almighty SPAM TOPIC!
« Reply #12015 on: November 14, 2017, 07:16:03 am »
Joke's on you! I won't understand regardless of which system you use!

* Elvis Strunk laughs Evilsly.

Offline [Astral|Zephyr]™

« Reply #12016 on: November 14, 2017, 10:04:38 am »
Joke's on you! I won't understand regardless of which system you use!

* Elvis Strunk laughs Evilsly.

:P :P :P
The only way to truly hurt a man, is to take everything that he valued and degrade it and remind him of it everyday of his life. But by doing this, you also create a monster, and you will regret ever harming that man, because he will be your greatest horror.

Offline WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #12017 on: November 14, 2017, 10:58:18 am »
Silly Elvis, silly people deserve neither pats or lolis

Elvis Strunk [Aug 10, 2016, 12:40:11 am]:   Meta is eternally a loli~
Arraxis [Sep 23, 2016, 11:37:43 pm]:   Love you too Meta

Offline Meliran

« Reply #12018 on: November 14, 2017, 11:52:01 am »
Silly Elvis, silly people deserve neither pats or lolis

* Meliran pushes Meta away and supplies Elvis with doubly the pats and lolis

Offline Geocorn

« Reply #12019 on: November 14, 2017, 04:55:49 pm »
Silly people, talk in Celsius if you wanna be understood!
100 degrees F = 37 C. It was that hot when I was in France actually. It sucked, France is in the north what business does it have being that hot?

Offline Meliran

« Reply #12020 on: November 14, 2017, 05:03:45 pm »
100 degrees F = 37 C. It was that hot when I was in France actually. It sucked, France is in the north what business does it have being that hot?

It's like, there is an argument to be made for the imperial system. Like, the metric system of heat is between 0 (freezing) and 100 (boiling). But the imperial system has the range of temperatures outside, from the coldest it'd be in a normal place, 0, to the hottest it'd be, 100. So it's a nice even percentage. Distance we have feet - the length of a foot, and yards - the length of a stride. A meter is similar, but centimeter? What practical use does that have? Volume, cups are about how much a person can drink in one sitting, gallon how much water they should drink in a day. Liter? Too much for a sitting, and too little for a day.

Unfortunately, the defenders of the imperial system are few and far between.

Offline WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #12021 on: November 14, 2017, 05:19:33 pm »
Oh please, it only make sense because you grew with it. As far as I'm concerned meter is pretty telling, as are celsius and liter.

The only thing is that we with the metric system have the knowledge that water boil at 100 freeze at 0, 1liter weight 1 kilogram and take 1dm cubic, with everything that I can convert with base 10.

I've always wondered how you even make science in the US, do you convert to metric, or do you convert with very odd number in imperial?

Offline Geocorn

« Reply #12022 on: November 14, 2017, 06:16:07 pm »

It's like, there is an argument to be made for the imperial system. Like, the metric system of heat is between 0 (freezing) and 100 (boiling). But the imperial system has the range of temperatures outside, from the coldest it'd be in a normal place, 0, to the hottest it'd be, 100. So it's a nice even percentage. Distance we have feet - the length of a foot, and yards - the length of a stride. A meter is similar, but centimeter? What practical use does that have? Volume, cups are about how much a person can drink in one sitting, gallon how much water they should drink in a day. Liter? Too much for a sitting, and too little for a day.

People criticize Fahrenheit for being arbitrary, but Celsius is just as arbitrary, to choose water as the benchmark. Plus  Celsius was a nutjob, the scale he created had 0 as the boiling point and 100 as the freezing point, it got modified after his death.

But I can't defend the rest of what you said. I'm 161 cm, how is that any different from saying I'm 63.5"? You can also fairly easily convert cm to m. but, you have to divide inches by 12 to convert to feet. Or maybe your'e measure something that needs yards. then you're dividing by 36.There are 1000m in a km, but how the heck many yards are in a mile? I have no clue. Gallons have 4 quarters, quarts have 2 pints, pints I think have 2 cups? or 4? then how many fl oz? Our system is completely moronic.

Offline Meliran

« Reply #12023 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:41 pm »
Oh please, it only make sense because you grew with it. As far as I'm concerned meter is pretty telling, as are celsius and liter.

The only thing is that we with the metric system have the knowledge that water boil at 100 freeze at 0, 1liter weight 1 kilogram and take 1dm cubic, with everything that I can convert with base 10.

I've always wondered how you even make science in the US, do you convert to metric, or do you convert with very odd number in imperial?

Science usually uses metric. However, Celsius is not used in scientific calculations, as it has an arbitrary starting point - and this is worldwide, not just the US. Rather, scientists use a system called Kelvin, which is the degrees about absolute 0.

Offline Geocorn

« Reply #12024 on: November 14, 2017, 06:49:58 pm »
Yeah Kelvin is less arbitrary.

Offline WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #12025 on: November 14, 2017, 07:38:59 pm »
Celsius Kelvin? Add 273

Fahrenheit Kelvin?  GOOD LUCK

Celsius is useful, you wanna say it's 300kelvin today?
And it's easy to convert it into Kelvin, since Kelvin also use 100 between freezing and boiling water
To go from Fahrenheit to Kelvin you have to do whatever you do to get Celsius, then add another 273

Offline Geocorn

« Reply #12026 on: November 14, 2017, 07:50:43 pm »
Fahrenheit has the advantage that you can just say "oh the weather today is in the 60s" but if you say "oh the weather today is in the 20s" with Celcius, 20 is quite different from 29.

Offline WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #12027 on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:20 pm »
Well, given people aren't thermometer we do say "It's about 20" or things like that

Offline Pal

« Reply #12028 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:20 pm »

*pats mel for this*

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline Meliran

« Reply #12029 on: November 14, 2017, 09:31:17 pm »
Celsius Kelvin? Add 273

Fahrenheit Kelvin?  GOOD LUCK

Celsius is useful, you wanna say it's 300kelvin today?
And it's easy to convert it into Kelvin, since Kelvin also use 100 between freezing and boiling water
To go from Fahrenheit to Kelvin you have to do whatever you do to get Celsius, then add another 273

When you say "you wanna say" that immediately argues for Fahrenheit. It's a system which deals with temperatures humans regularly deal with - between 0 (really cold days) to 100 (really hot days). The degrees between 100 and 212 are rarely ever used - I think it's only used for temperatures to hold food at? So why argue for a scale where 95% of usage is going to be between -18 and 37, as opposed to one with a practical range of 0-100?