Author Topic: Fire Emblem  (Read 70040 times)

Online Elvis Strunk

Fire Emblem
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:28:27 pm »
I figured some of us might want a place to discuss the most awesome and amazing game ever. Then I realized people probably didn't want to talk about Pong and made this thread instead. So, how many of you have played any of the games in the Fire Emblem series? Did you like them? Did you hate them? Which characters did you like/dislike?

Personally, I've completed Fire Emblem and The Sacred Stones for the GBA, Shadow Dragon for the DS, and Awakening for the 3DS. Apparently I've only really played the portables that got released in North America. I do plan to play Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn eventually, although it might be a while.

I enjoyed all of the Fire Emblem games I've played, with Sacred Stones being my first, Fire Emblem being my favorite, Shadow Dragon being the one I enjoyed completing most, and Awakening being the one I put the most time into.

I do have a list of favorite characters from each game, so I'll give each one it's own line for the sake of making this post longer. Oh, and none of these are in any order. Except alphabetical.
Fire Emblem : Erk, Florina, Lyn, Matthew, Nino
Sacred Stones : Artur, Joshua, Lute, Lyon, Myrrh
Shadow Dragon : Barst, Caeda, Lena, Marth, Merric
Awakening : Gregor, Henry, Nowi, Sumia, Tharja

My full favorite character list is about twice as long, and the top five tend to change pretty often. The general rule is, I like Mages and cute girls. The rest are just characters that stuck with me for whatever reason, be it skill in battle, interesting personality, or whatever else.

Now, it's your turn to reveal how you feel about Fire Emblem!

---

Fire Emblem Heroes Forum IDs

Arra: 3391353842
Dee: 8967712581
Duke: 9400820722
Elvis: 2937596750
Gamer: 6980824537
Jynx: 8790998823
Kana: 9126066413
Megillot: 0642023663
Mergew: 8869866883
mikebrand: 6285385413
rell: 4354361768
Rev: 7031376204
Shadow: 8352046541
Titor: 2500506755
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 03:30:36 pm by Elvis Strunk »

Offline Oreo_Blue

Re: Fire Emblem
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:59:06 pm »
Without Pong, there might not be Fire Emblem....

I heard that Fire Emblem is good, but I haven't played it before. I do have a 3DS, so far I've only played Zelda Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil Revelations, and Zero Escape. I guess I love my PSVita better than my 3DS :D.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 03:42:03 am »
 Being a young bloke, I've only been able to return to the world(s) of fire emblem recently with Awakening. I've only played 2 of the games. FE7 or just fire emblem in English speaking countries and Awakening. I don't know how many times I've replayed FE7, but I'm pretty sure that I got that game done pretty well. i never won the hardest difficulty once though. Hard was hard enough for me back then. I really enjoyed Nino (funny name for a girl) and Eric the most from those games Oh and Canis? Canias? Damit the Sharman. Funny that they're all mages but whatever. Actually I'll add Marcus since I got him to lv 20 early on using an arena and could carry so well he took on all the enemies in an area by himself. My favourite in Awakening are Gregor, Henry (YAY BLOOD!) and Nowi. I ended up with Sumia for some reason. Not so sure that was a good idea in hind sight. I have no idea how Cynthia was our kid (bit too simple)

Online Elvis Strunk

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:30 am »
@Agus
You should check out Awakening if you ever get the chance. I'd obviously recommend it highly. Or, if you have a GBA/are willing to emulate, you could check out one of the older games, such as Fire Emblem or Sacred Stones. I wouldn't recommend Shadow Dragon as your first Fire Emblem game, however. I did enjoy it, but it doesn't quite equal the others, being a remake of a NES/Famicom game and all.

@Ledabot
I absolutely love your taste in characters. And yes, Cynthia is rather... energetic. She seems nothing like her parents. I mean, regardless of whoever her parents are, she's still nothing like them. I believe the Shaman's name to be Canas, so you were pretty close. Also, did you really mean to say you like Erik? Considering your comment that they were all mages, I would assume you actually meant Erk. However, it would be interesting to meet a fan of Erik, as I wasn't sure such a thing existed.

This is an embarrassing secret, but
Spoiler
I've never completed my favorite Fire Emblem on anything other than Normal difficulty.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:45:03 am »
 I think its perfectly normal to not complete an rpg multiple times. You are invested in the characters. Why would you want to create a world where they're different? You feel happy with what you have but if you were suddenly thrown into another world where they aren't quite the same, it would feel a little uncomfortable.
On Erik, I indeed meant Erk and Canas was the name on the tip of my tongue. After consulting the wiki, I learned the importance of the letter i. Dam I hated that guy.

Online Elvis Strunk

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:18:07 pm »
Indeed. Erik was an arseface in Fire Emblem, and he was an arseface in the sequel as well. Although Erk's pretty good at being a jerk at times, he's a likeable jerk.

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:37:00 pm »
A few of RPGs that I've played two or more times (from start to finish):
1. Zelda Ocarina of Time (IMO the best Zelda game ever)
2. Chrono Trigger (Multiple endings RPG)
3. Final Fantasy VI (Played different version releases)
4. Final Fantasy VII (The best FF story)
5. Final Fantasy IX (Second best FF story)
7. Final Fantasy Tactics (I think it's normal to play tactical games over and over)
8. Suikoden (best Suikoden)
9. Suikoden 2 (2nd best Suikoden)
10. Legend of Dragoon (I love the Dragoon armor design, I'll play it again if they have the English version on PSN)

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:23:59 am »
Even the older Fire emblem games are good Oreo. You can find a emulator of the old ones you cant get anymore and give them a go easy enough. I would recommend just buying awakening more though. Better to support the makers. Once you have a copy, you can add it to the the list of replayed games given time. They all have unlockable difficulty levels so they can be played again if you want. I started another game with a girl character so that I get different dialogue and boy, the harder difficulty's sure are harder. No such thing as 100% dodge in this one!

Online Elvis Strunk

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 12:57:18 am »
I played Awakening in Lunatic. I actualy beat it. Strangely, I find it much easier than Hard 5 in Shadow Dragon, even though Lunatic's supposed to be harder than it. Of course, that might just be because I paired up with Nowi the whole time. Still, it was difficult a lot of the time, and I'm not all that good at it. I would really recommend new players start with Normal. Although, as you've already completed Normal, moving up is the next logical step. Which difficulty are you playing this time, Hard or Lunatic? Also, Casual or Classic?

Also, everything else in Awakening seems easy once you discover
Spoiler
Lunatic Plus

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:59:54 am »
I don't really like to play with 3DS. maybe because it's dual screen, or maybe because of the uncomfortable button (I have big fingers), or maybe I'm just a Sony fanboy :D (most of the gadget / electronic products I use are Sony branded). Zelda Ocarina of Time, and Resident Evil Revelations were my only reason to buy a 3DS :D.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 02:21:27 am »
I played Awakening in Lunatic. I actualy beat it. Strangely, I find it much easier than Hard 5 in Shadow Dragon, even though Lunatic's supposed to be harder than it. Of course, that might just be because I paired up with Nowi the whole time. Still, it was difficult a lot of the time, and I'm not all that good at it. I would really recommend new players start with Normal. Although, as you've already completed Normal, moving up is the next logical step. Which difficulty are you playing this time, Hard or Lunatic? Also, Casual or Classic?

Also, everything else in Awakening seems easy once you discover
Spoiler
Lunatic Plus

I'm playing on hard this time. I guess its just training wheels off mode this time. Man the game holds your hand as you play on normal.

Online Elvis Strunk

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 03:14:32 am »
@Agus
Originally, I only bought my 3DS for Awakening, and even now, the only other game I've completed on it is Shin Megami Tensei IV. I do plan to get Virtue's Last Reward sometime, however. Other than that, there isn't much that interests me that much. As for the Vita, I do plan to get one eventually, but for now, any large amount of money I get is going to go into building a new computer. When I do finally get one, the Disgaea games, the upcoming Corpse Party, and any and all games in the Danganronpa series are so going to be mine.

@Ledabot
I know the feeling. What really gets me is how they go through the entire tutorial section in every game, despite the fact that I've beaten several before. I mean, I know how to walk already! You don't need to keep reminding me! At least there's an option to turn off the tutorials in Awakening.

Hard mode can be a lot of fun. Especially since you can't just pair Chrom and Frederick and take zero damage during the entire prologue. I mean, it's still an easy battle, even now, but it IS just the prologue. Everything can get a bit hectic, especially once everything gets promoted and all the enemy units get about seven movement. Although there's always the option of throwing a bunch of tanks out and pressing "End Turn" until everything dies.

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 02:07:44 pm »
Being over 6,000 years old, Lord Gorchnik has had the free time to explore all the games of said series and rejoice my fine topic-making friend, as this series does indeed have my approval.

I can't quite name a favorite because each game in the series did something new or added a new feature that was interesting at the time of release.  If I had to choose favorite characters in terms of design it would be Hector and Raven from FE7.  They look like they mean business, are dressed for the part, and have a no-nonsense attitude as you should in war.

In terms of just lovable/playable/fun though, almost any character can take the cake.  Lyn from FE7, Sheeda and Oguma from FE1, Nowi from FE:A.  All are good fun.

Online Elvis Strunk

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 04:22:46 pm »
We have yet another Fire Emblem fan in our midst! Very good. If only there were a Fire Emblem mmo or something similar, we could all band together and do battle against the mighty forces of the Red Mook Army. I do like your taste in characters, Lord Gorchnik. Your name, as well, is as marvelous as always.

Say, which Fire Emblem game have you played most out of them all? Also, how many games have you managed to play in the last six thousand years? What types of games did they even have that long ago?

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 04:53:41 pm »
We have yet another Fire Emblem fan in our midst! Very good. If only there were a Fire Emblem mmo or something similar, we could all band together and do battle against the mighty forces of the Red Mook Army. I do like your taste in characters, Lord Gorchnik. Your name, as well, is as marvelous as always.

Say, which Fire Emblem game have you played most out of them all? Also, how many games have you managed to play in the last six thousand years? What types of games did they even have that long ago?

Lord Gorchnik has spent most of his time with Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (4), Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken (7) and 3rd place would probably be Fire Emblem: Awakening, the most recent of the series.  And you are wise to question your lord's free time in the past 6,000 years.  Unfortunately, it would probably take me another 6,000 to explain them to you.  In your calender, there was a great game around 787 AD where people started getting on these mammals called horses and trying to knock each other off with long pieces of wood.  In some cases the ones who won would get lands, women, and riches beyond their wildest dreams.  While the losers were faced with shame, ridicule, and sometimes even death.

Ahhhh it was glorious.