Author Topic: What are you watching?  (Read 90400 times)

Offline Ledabot

Re: What are you watching?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:51 am »
I don't really care for the space head much. He's basically the western equivalent of the generic male protag
Spoiler
except he gets bullied.
It makes a bit more sense when you look at it this way:

1: Jaune Arc is basically the closest thing to an audience stand-in among the characters. Despite being from a famous lineage of heroes, right up until
Spoiler
Pyrrha forcibly woke his Aura he was literally an ordinary human amongst super-humans, and knowing almost as little about the world as the audience do, which in turns allows concepts to be explained to the audience by explaining it to Jaune at the same time.

2: As for him being
Spoiler
bullied by team CRDL (pronounced "Cardinal"), specifically by Cardin Winchester... It's a reference to Henry Beaufort, being both a Cardinal and the Bishop of Winchester, who presided at Joan of Arc's trial.

3: His role may also have significance in relation to Professor Ozpin, who is likely based on the Wizard of Oz, full name Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Digg (or acronym of "OZPINHEAD"),
Spoiler
who was in fact a stage magician who was otherwise an utterly originary human... Until he eventually returned to Oz and was taught real magic by Glinda.

So if Ozpin's background is similar to the character he was inspired by, it would be understandable for Ozpin to be sympathetic to Jaune, despite his obviously falsified transcripts.

Well that defiantly help make him look like less of a pushover. I never really disliked  his character, I just found his arc dull in comparison to the other characters.

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 04:35:43 am »
I WAS watching Kill la Kill, but then it ended :(
I'm currently watching Seitokai Yakuindomo* and Nisekoi

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 06:14:21 am »
I'm watching the last few episodes of fairy tail ready for the next season. My god this show is so much fun.

Offline Aggressive Pacifist

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 04:28:21 pm »
Aaaahh I love Fairy Tail, I didn't want to stop when I finished the anime so I read a bit ahead in the manga, the new season is supposed to air in Japan any day now, right?
"Don't be distracted by the what-ifs, should-haves, and if-onlys. The one thing you choose yourself - that is the truth of your universe."
-Kamina

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:47 pm »
RWBY
Not an anime, nor even a Japanese production. It's actually a CG animated series by the US-based Rooster Teeth, with Monty Oum as its creator/director, that does takes some creative inspirations from anime series. RWBY (pronounced "Ruby") is sent on an alternate world, with characters and settings loosely based on various classic fairy tales and mythologies ("Little Red Riding Hood", "Snow White", "Beauty and the Beast", and "Goldilocks", for the main four referenced in the title). "Volume 1" of the series is relatively short (only adds up to around 2 hours of footage in total), and mainly serves as an introduction to the main characters and setting. But for a series created with a crew (not including VAs) of maybe 1/10 of what typical anime have behind them, the series' action sequences easily puts pretty much any anime of the last 10 years to shame.

Hrmmm, you have intrigued the great Gorchnik and he shall have to set his eyes on having one of his servants seeking this out for him to explore in more detail.  You have done your new Lord a wonderful service!

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 08:31:48 pm »
RWBY was fun. Oh wait, I already posted on this.

Good thing I've still got something to post! I started 2 series in the week break between seasons. Flag and
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (Haganai for short). The first reminds me quite a bit of Sora no woto without the moe and with more look how much war sucks guys! Hey! are you depressed yet? quick, let me put some feels on you so you understand.

The second is very funny, and is definably for mature audiences. They took the basic tropes of clingy girl, trap, otaku girl etc and turned them all the way to 11. Very funny. Characters are very, very, unrealistic, which isn't bad really. It's just funny.

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 08:40:36 pm »
look how much war sucks guys! Hey! are you depressed yet? quick, let me put some feels on you so you understand.
Sounds fun. Tell me more.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 08:49:06 pm »
 The main character is a war photographer. The setting is somewhere in the centre of asia, but seems slightly more east than west. Enough that large Buddhism cults are the religion of the country. We watch the show and interesting way. We watch the show through the lens of the camera of the protag and her senior. She goes to war base to document a unit of the world's first mecha pilots. Lots of brown. Lots of green. Lots of melancholy.

Edit: ANN synopsis dump. In 20xx, a civil war broke out in a small country in Asia in spite of the dispatch of UN forces. But a picture taken by accident in the battle field accelerates the peace process. It is a picture of a flag which became the symbol of peace. However, just before the peace agreement is achieved, the flag is robbed by an armed extremist group in order to obstruct the truce. The UN decides to send SDC (Special Development Command) and a cameraman to record their activities. That cameraman is Shirasu Saeko - the cameraman who took the picture of the flag. Armed with the HAVWC (High Agility Versatile Weapon Carrier), Saeko documents their journey.

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 09:02:22 pm »
Okay, that sounds kind of intriguing. I may have to watch this at some point. I think I'll put a bit more research into it, and possibly add it to the list.

Offline tocktickwait

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2014, 03:06:09 am »
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler for me. It's a wacky mecha ecchi comedy. Masaki Endoh singing the op convinced me to give it a try, but it really is a lot of fun, and while the mecha looks odd, it grows on you. Here are some PVs

http://penguin-empire.com/movie/

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2014, 03:13:51 am »
I'm waiting for Non Non Biyori S2.

Spoiler

They totally have to make Nendoroid / Cu-poche figure for Renchon :D

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2014, 03:30:27 am »
Non non comes out in may I thought.  Thats a long wait.

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 03:38:28 am »
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler for me. It's a wacky mecha ecchi comedy. Masaki Endoh singing the op convinced me to give it a try, but it really is a lot of fun, and while the mecha looks odd, it grows on you. Here are some PVs

http://penguin-empire.com/movie/
that looks like it'll be everything I want it to be!

I'm waiting for Non Non Biyori S2.

Spoiler

They totally have to make Nendoroid / Cu-poche figure for Renchon :D

YES!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 03:41:01 am by Vaendryl »
(╯░□░)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 05:14:50 am »
 I've been watching Kuroko no Basket season one and getting hype to watch season two afterwards

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 09:15:18 am »
The only reason I got through korokos basket was because I won a huge pack of licorice all sorts. I just don't like sport, even when it's animated!