Author Topic: The Fictional World and History  (Read 4965 times)

Offline DesertFox

The Fictional World and History
« on: August 14, 2014, 02:17:02 pm »
The Fictional World Part 1 - The Map and Introduction

Compared to its early alpha demo, the writing and setting of the game has moved away slightly from reality, to become more of a parody. As such, the fictional world of the game has been expanded with a history that mirrors that of WW2 Europe but embellishes on certain points and alters certain elements.

The continent of Europa itself contains countries similar to their real counterparts but with their own original border divisions, and some new nations have been created in places you wouldn't expect. The alliances and set-up at the beginning of the game seem to reflect the state of Europe at the beginning of WW2. Germania has joined with Osta, Hang and Czexa to form its own minor power block. Franzo and Britannia mainly hold territories in the south, Sovia has yet to expand into eastern Europa and the majority of nations have chosen to remain neutral. Italia holds a limited amount of territory. The objective of the game in this sense is to control all of the map. This doesn't mean every country must be taken by force, and in some cases, the storyline will result in a neutral country simply giving into occupation out of necessity.

This objective to take control of the continent and for the player to be successful is also a great deviation from historical fact. As such, there will be decision points for the player that mean they can choose to do certain things at earlier points. It will be recommended to them, for instance, not to invade Sovia until they're more ready. But an early decision point will give the player the option, to reflect history (these choices are for any history buffs or masochists that like to know they're going to lose hard regardless).

While battles will not have the names, location or timings of their real life counterparts, there has been a drive to try and make them reflect historical setting as much as possible. Certain battles will also not happen, due to the deviation of history and certain elements not covered in this game. Of course, this is a fictional history so there was never any guarantee to follow along those lines and include every single element of WW2. Since the game is a parody, however, I want to include as much as I can to give it the aesthetic feeling of the period, combined with fun antics and cute girls, along with a cool battle engine and system.

I'll post more in this topic with tidbits about the fictional history and the events preceding the game.

https://mylittledictator.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/map2.jpg
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Elvis Strunk

Re: The Fictional World and History
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 02:32:49 pm »
More details are always good. I never had much care for perfectly following the original plot anyway, so changing some stuff doesn't bother me. I like the map. We're totally going to fill it up like a plague. I like the alternate names you've come up with for everything. Looking forward to future information on the world, and the various ways Hitora will overtake it.

Offline Arraxis

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 02:50:56 pm »
Ireland and England switched places! Also, I like the idea of getting the choice on where to invade, even if it would be a colossal mistake to do so. It could be quite interesting to see how the story develops, too, if you succeed at things that you aren't expected to accomplish. Will there be a variety of Bad Ends for loss? Actually, I wonder what are the conditions for losing in the first place.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:06:08 pm »
Seeing maps with risk board bits on them makes me want to go play Crusader kings 2 again.

Sorry. I'm addicted.

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:16:08 pm »
Batavia, eh? I can live with that.
(in b4 conquered instantly)
(╯°□°)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline radclive

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 09:46:10 am »
definitely an interesting concept. I like the idea of drawing inspiration from history, but not being shackled by it. especially cuz i'd like to not get stomped by a dumb decision i had no part in, lol. Dibs first on open release! I called it. Now everyone has to wait for me to play it first
We are Hydra, two to replace the one. We are Jörmungandr, for we encompass the earth. We are eternal, we are undying. There is no end to the cynicism, only to the unbelievers. Follow, and you shall be spared.

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 02:43:26 pm »
Where is Luxembourg?  WE NEED ECONOMIC DOMINANCE!

Offline Commander Zaelthul

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:25:05 am »
Fully agree with this statement.

The deviation from history is probably for the best. Not because of people being offended and what not (I'm pretty sure the aftershock of WW2 has been forgotten by now) but to make it seem more like a fun cutesy war themed VN and not a reminder that these were some of Man's darkest days. Also on an unrelated not, I just noticed this but...
Spoiler

Is it just me or do these look two very, very similar!?
Please tell me it's just me going crazy.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:37:57 am by Zaelthul »
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

Offline radclive

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 06:29:26 am »

The deviation from history is probably for the best. Not because of people being offended and what not (I'm pretty sure the aftershock of WW2 has been forgotten by now) but to make it seem more like a fun cutesy war themed VN and not a reminder that these were some of Man's darkest days. Also on an unrelated not, I just noticed this but...
Spoiler

Is it just me or do these two very, very similar!?

*GASP* What is this, co-operation between the two leaders? Is this the beginning of the end of the HSFW (Hyperspace Forum War)?
We are Hydra, two to replace the one. We are Jörmungandr, for we encompass the earth. We are eternal, we are undying. There is no end to the cynicism, only to the unbelievers. Follow, and you shall be spared.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 08:30:46 am »

Spoiler

Is it just me or do these two very, very similar!?

You might be on to something Zae. they are both grumpy bums most of the time. melancholic grumpy bums can be cute though.

Offline Dangerousbuzz934

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 01:20:38 am »
Looks interesting

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 06:17:04 am »
There will it be something similar to a little of diplomacy? For example, story events where you cant pact the division of the east of Europa with Sovia and so don't be invaded by them, or something similar. Or it would you be always the one who invades?(managing to lose in that case is going to be difficult)

Economic dominance is probably going to be through the old way: Got more money? You can produce more tanks, rockets, aircraft, etc *cough*the reason the allies won WWII*cough*

PS: Gibraltar got sliiightlyyyy bigger. They even got an island. It looks kinda silly to me, but it makes it funnier, so I suppose it makes sense.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 10:39:58 am »
There will it be something similar to a little of diplomacy? For example, story events where you cant pact the division of the east of Europa with Sovia and so don't be invaded by them, or something similar. Or it would you be always the one who invades?(managing to lose in that case is going to be difficult)
It works more in the case that there's a quite linear storyline and the choices you do have are deviations from that main game, usually leading to a neutral or bad ending. So there's a canon way that the game is supposed to end, with several major decisions on the way that branch off. The way it currently works is that the storyline dictates where you invade and at what times, however I may incorporate something like in MGQ where it is recommended to you what order you should do things in. This would be as simple as having fewer command points available to you at the time of your battle. Sometimes the story dictates that you are on the defensive but most of the time you are attacking. Other nations also invade neutral countries as part of the storyline.

I'm afraid I've come at this from a visual novel perspective, focusing more on writing the story with a linear pattern, rather than thinking about how the player is able to manipulate that story. I've definitely been focusing on characters and artwork and the VN part more so than the maps/battle segments. Perhaps if, like MGQ, you have a central hub you can always return to, but on your map, you essentially neutralize regions and once you've finished all the tasks in an area, that chapter ends and you move on. Although I don't think there's anything wrong with guiding the player and having a more linear construction. It just means there's less leveling up/inventory/towns/exploration compared to an RPG. There aren't free dungeons to enter at will and grind as it were.

I'm aiming to have a difficulty setting at the start of the game for you to select, since some people are playing this for the battles/rpg/map stuff, and some people are playing this for the characters and the storyline. In fact, considering the state of the pre-alpha and what people have seen so far, the storyline concept is pretty much what's selling this project at the moment. It's definitely a difficult balance to get right and I will have to think more carefully about the map system and battle engine, and how they integrate into the game, as things progress.
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 11:25:29 am »
There are plenty of good games that are completely linear, or close to it, so I don't see any issue. Even some of the games I've enjoyed primarily because of their story don't offer any way to change much of anything. Focusing mainly on a linear story path just means the end result will likely have a lot more to it than if you'd included a million different choices and endings. I'd also be willing to say your game would be completely worth playing if it were just a regular Visual Novel, with no gameplay at all. Basically, I'd say you're going about it in a decent manner.

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 12:40:36 pm »
It works more in the case that there's a quite linear storyline and the choices you do have are deviations from that main game, usually leading to a neutral or bad ending. So there's a canon way that the game is supposed to end, with several major decisions on the way that branch off. The way it currently works is that the storyline dictates where you invade and at what times, however I may incorporate something like in MGQ where it is recommended to you what order you should do things in. This would be as simple as having fewer command points available to you at the time of your battle. Sometimes the story dictates that you are on the defensive but most of the time you are attacking. Other nations also invade neutral countries as part of the storyline.

I'm afraid I've come at this from a visual novel perspective, focusing more on writing the story with a linear pattern, rather than thinking about how the player is able to manipulate that story. I've definitely been focusing on characters and artwork and the VN part more so than the maps/battle segments. Perhaps if, like MGQ, you have a central hub you can always return to, but on your map, you essentially neutralize regions and once you've finished all the tasks in an area, that chapter ends and you move on. Although I don't think there's anything wrong with guiding the player and having a more linear construction. It just means there's less leveling up/inventory/towns/exploration compared to an RPG. There aren't free dungeons to enter at will and grind as it were.

I'm aiming to have a difficulty setting at the start of the game for you to select, since some people are playing this for the battles/rpg/map stuff, and some people are playing this for the characters and the storyline. In fact, considering the state of the pre-alpha and what people have seen so far, the storyline concept is pretty much what's selling this project at the moment. It's definitely a difficult balance to get right and I will have to think more carefully about the map system and battle engine, and how they integrate into the game, as things progress.

Ahh, then sorry, I misinterpret it a little (with the VN WWII parody and all I thought that it was more or less a land German based version of Daiteikoku). While I'll miss on some planning, a linear history can work just as well if you maintain a good pace (and if our world leaders are as cute as they seem), but I expect some alternative endings aside from the "conquered all Europa", though you seem to be already working on it!

So still looking forward to it!
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home