Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 6464 times)

Offline Coga

What are you reading?
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:18:01 pm »
Well, we already have a what are you watching thread, so might as well have this as a literary counterpart to those plebians, eh? :P

Anyway, don't have much to read right now, what with my work schedule and all, but I'm having a lot of fun reading Daily Life with Monster Girl (it's ecchi though, so might want to keep the 'rents and young'uns away), as well as Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa/Truthism, which is all-ages and all-hilarious. The reaction faces alone are worth the price of admission.

So, how about you lot? What are your literary indulgences?

Offline RegularGamer

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:23:21 pm »
I don't read a lot, but I'd recommend the books from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series (It's not manga btw) to anyone who hasn't read it yet.
why do chinese write in anime letters

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:21 pm »
I've been enjoying the monster girl manga for quite a while now. such a shame it only comes out so rarely :(
I've not heard of the other one but it seems interesting. I also like you can just keep scrolling down on that site. I've not seen that before either.

I'm following too many manga to list :[ I'll just hand you a few of my favs.
molester man, assasination classroom, onepunch-man, qualia the purple (few chapters out), The Voynich hotel, yureka (like SAO but older), nukoduke, dungeon ni deai wo motomeru no wa machigatteiru darou ka, ubel blatt, the gamer, dr. hitomi's infirmary, nickelodeon, bonnouji, koharu no hibi, afterschool war activities

never get around to reading actual books anymore though.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 01:29:04 pm by Vaendryl »
(╯°□°)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 02:27:21 pm »
but I'm having a lot of fun reading Daily Life with Monster Girl (it's ecchi though, so might want to keep the 'rents and young'uns away)
New York Times bestseller material, that.

Spoiler
And thanks for reminding me about it, since I didn't realise until just now that volume 4 was released ahead of schedule.

Also, recently got my hands on Rosario + Vampire Season II volume 13, so just one more volume left to go to complete the series.

For a very different setting without fantasy (historical romance, set in Central Asia during the 19th century), but still a surprising amount of action and almost unbelievable amount of visual details, I've also been re-reading A Bride's Story by Kaoru Mori (the author/artist behind "Emma").

... And talking about incredible amount of details, I'm still so disappointed that we would never see the completion of the English version of Aria, since Tokyopop effectively went under after only releasing to volume 6 (of 12, not counting Aqua).

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 02:45:06 pm »
STAND ASIDE MORTALS, GORCHNIK'S RECOMMENDATIONS HAVE ARRIVED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gorchnik recommends the following books for anyone who likes "medieval knights witches and wizards fantasy".  Tolkien may be the most well known one, but David Eddings here wrote a story back in the 80's that could very easily be made into an anime or video-game, and that is why it is such a great read.  You don't forget ANY of the characters and the plot doesn't drag on and on and on like Tolkien's does. These four volumes contain a total of 10 books which make up the "Belgariad" and "Mallorean" series, and all of them are very excellent reads. Oh yes, and these books were #1 on New York Time's Best-sellers list.  They are that good.

Quote from: The Belgariad
Millions of readers have discovered the magic of David Eddings’ New York Times bestselling series The Belgariad. Now the first three books in this monumental epic appear in a single volume. Here, long-time fans can rediscover the wonder—and the uninitiated can embark upon a thrilling new journey of fantasy and adventure.

It all begins with the theft of the Orb that for so long protected the West from an evil god. As long as the Orb was at Riva, the prophecy went, its people would be safe from this corrupting power. Garion, a simple farm boy, is familiar with the legend of the Orb, but skeptical in matters of magic. Until, through a twist of fate, he learns not only that the story of the Orb is true, but that he must set out on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger to help recover it. For Garion is a child of destiny, and fate itself is leading him far from his home, sweeping him irrevocably toward a distant tower—and a cataclysmic confrontation with a master of the darkest magic.

The Belgariad: Volume 1
The Belgariad: Volume 2
The Mallorean: Volume 1
The Mallorean: Volume 2

=======================================

The next series is for anyone who loves the Steampunk and......genetic animals used in warfare genre?  Fans of "My Little Dictator" will like this one due to it being an alternate setting of WWI. What if the allies used massive giant creatures as warships? What if the Axis powers used mechanical steam operated war-machines (known as Clankers)? That's what you are getting in this series.  Not convinced yet? Take a look at the description and the in-universe map. By the way, the art in this series is PHENOMENAL!

Spoiler

Yes, that is Soviet Russia as a bear de-composing and crying while trying to bite into Austria-Hungary. Anyone who knows actual history will know why the artist drew Russia like this.  However all the countries are portrayed very well such as the British lion, Swedish Fish, and Spain's bull.

Quote from: Leviathan
It is the cusp of World War I, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathan is a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet.

Aleksandar Ferdinand, prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battle-torn Stormwalker and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With the Great War brewing, Alek's and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way...taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever.

Leviathan
Behemoth
Goliath

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 03:15:47 pm »
STAND ASIDE MORTALS, GORCHNIK'S RECOMMENDATIONS HAVE ARRIVED
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gorchnik recommends the following books for anyone who likes "medieval knights witches and wizards fantasy".  Tolkien may be the most well known one, but David Eddings here wrote a story back in the 80's that could very easily be made into an anime or video-game, and that is why it is such a great read.  You don't forget ANY of the characters and the plot doesn't drag on and on and on like Tolkien's does. These four volumes contain a total of 10 books which make up the "Belgariad" and "Mallorean" series, and all of them are very excellent reads. Oh yes, and these books were #1 on New York Time's Best-sellers list.  They are that good.

Quote from: The Belgariad
Millions of readers have discovered the magic of David Eddings’ New York Times bestselling series The Belgariad. Now the first three books in this monumental epic appear in a single volume. Here, long-time fans can rediscover the wonder—and the uninitiated can embark upon a thrilling new journey of fantasy and adventure.

It all begins with the theft of the Orb that for so long protected the West from an evil god. As long as the Orb was at Riva, the prophecy went, its people would be safe from this corrupting power. Garion, a simple farm boy, is familiar with the legend of the Orb, but skeptical in matters of magic. Until, through a twist of fate, he learns not only that the story of the Orb is true, but that he must set out on a quest of unparalleled magic and danger to help recover it. For Garion is a child of destiny, and fate itself is leading him far from his home, sweeping him irrevocably toward a distant tower—and a cataclysmic confrontation with a master of the darkest magic.

The Belgariad: Volume 1
The Belgariad: Volume 2
The Mallorean: Volume 1
The Mallorean: Volume 2

The next series is for anyone who loves the Steampunk and......genetic animals used in warfare genre?  Fans of "My Little Dictator" will like this one due to it being an alternate setting of WWI. What if the allies used massive giant creatures as warships? What if the Axis powers used mechanical steam operated war-machines (known as Clankers)? That's what you are getting in this series.  Not convinced yet? Take a look at the description and the in-universe map. By the way, the art in this series is PHENOMENAL!

Spoiler

Yes, that is Soviet Russia as a bear de-composing and crying while trying to bite into Austria-Hungary. Anyone who knows actual history will know why the artist drew Russia like this.  However all the countries are portrayed very well such as the British lion, Swedish Fish, and Spain's bull.

Quote from: Leviathan
It is the cusp of World War I, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathan is a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet.

Aleksandar Ferdinand, prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battle-torn Stormwalker and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With the Great War brewing, Alek's and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way...taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever.

Leviathan
Behemoth
Goliath

I actually read Leviathan and can recommend it as a light reading. The art is truly phenomenal, and I thought that the characters would be a lot worse, but they are surprisingly likeable despite being common stereotypes. Haven't read anything of Edding, but I admit that I tend to prefer more realistic fantasy than Tolkienesque, even so it seems a little generic, even by the 80s. There are hidden twists or is the execution very well done, my Lord?

About manga, well, I have started reading Arpeggio of the Blue Steel, but I stopped until I could use my Crunchyroll premium to maximum (Can't use it when I'm addicted to Sunrider, ugh, decisions, decisions). Even so, loved it. While the pace is jumpy (the first two battles take 14 chapters...) the designs are pretty good (they cut a lot of the moe for more "alien" faces, though), the mechanical design gives me a bo-*cough* is magnificent and the story is a lot better than in the anime (which cut, like, half of the plot).
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »

wow, that just has to be the most cliched setting in the history of fantasy. I love it!
I actually had an epub copy of the first 5 books on my disk. guess I should put that near my tablet at least.
(╯°□°)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 06:43:33 pm »
besides Daily Life with Monster Girl, I'm also reading To Love-Ru Darkness, Gokukoku no Brynhildr, Highschool DxD, No Game No Life, Date A Live, Shinmai Maou no Keiyakusha, and The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan. That's a lot now that I think about it...

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Commander Zaelthul

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 06:55:11 pm »
Well other than reading Spice and Wolf (Up to Volume 14 now), I recently brought Friedrich Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morals. I need to start reading it at some point however.
Also I'm not a fan of comics or Manga despite the fact I read a bit of VNs.
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 07:24:22 pm »
Well other than reading Spice and Wolf (Up to Volume 14 now), I recently brought Friedrich Nietzsche's On the Genealogy of Morals. I need to start reading it at some point however.

You call yourself a cynic yet read Nietzsche? Could it be that in reality you are a traitor? Or a quadruple agent?
There are few haters of cynics as strong as Nietzsche, despite the misconception

Ah, and about light novels (I forgot about them) I also tend to read a lot, especially on Baka-tsuki (it's app on the phone is perfect for reading in the train, and most light novels don't require a lot of input on your part, so is a good combination). Harems with overpowered MCs are one of my guilty pleasures, but aside from that, Campione, To Aru, and especially Madan are my favourites. I also fairly liked Mahouka, even if it's starting to become more ridiculous with each volume.... Seirei Tsukai is also one of those that started as guilty pleasure but that has grown its beard to me, together with Higschool DxD.
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 07:42:16 pm »
Does this forum count as reading? Aside from some fanfiction which nobody wants to hear about, I'm currently rereading Under the Dome, by Stephen King. I may or may not have been doing this for the last two weeks without making any progress. I should probably spend less time reloading the Unread Topics list and more time actually doing things.

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 07:49:52 pm »
Spice and Wolf Volume 8
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Commander Zaelthul

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 08:54:46 pm »

You call yourself a cynic yet read Nietzsche? Could it be that in reality you are a traitor? Or a quadruple agent?
There are few haters of cynics as strong as Nietzsche, despite the misconception
Because there are some curiosities that must be satisfied. It's like how I'm subscribed to a number of who I may disagree with a lot (Totalbiscuit) but putting everything into a different perspective is something I indulge in quite a bit. I'm still a cynic and always will be. Plus the reason why I'm reading this particular book/essay (Whatever you want to call it) is due to see how others look at human morals. I'm quite amoral and well I would like to see what the great Nietzsche's philosophical idea of morality.
Spice and Wolf Volume 8
Hehe, the wolf bone incident eh? Have fun with the church stuff (I'm pretty sure I got that wrong).
Speaking of which, Gorchnik. I may require your assistance about the illustrated dust covers. And by that I mean I want to make sure every volume I buy has one.
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 10:14:38 pm »
I don't know if you want manga in this thread, but I'm not sharing a manga so too bad. Feng Shin Ji probably the best drawn eastern comic I've ever seen. You might just cum a little while reading it despite the lack of anything partially sexual. You have to fight through the first few chapters as they are basically back story and shove exposition down your throat but you will be dam glad if you stick with it.

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:27:56 am »
I actually read Leviathan and can recommend it as a light reading. The art is truly phenomenal, and I thought that the characters would be a lot worse, but they are surprisingly likeable despite being common stereotypes. Haven't read anything of Edding, but I admit that I tend to prefer more realistic fantasy than Tolkienesque, even so it seems a little generic, even by the 80s. There are hidden twists or is the execution very well done, my Lord?

The funny thing is if you read Edding's bio (sadly he is no longer with us) he admits to writing the most cliched summary to actually TURN people away.  Protip: it didn't work.  There is a reason his books hit #1 on the NY Times bestsellers.  Yes there are a few hidden twists.  Nothing superbly major though by today's standards. This was written back in the early 80s when D&D 1st edition was finally getting some steam going. The execution is VERY well done though, and two of the characters are forever ingrained in my memory just because of how well they are done.

wow, that just has to be the most cliched setting in the history of fantasy. I love it!
I actually had an epub copy of the first 5 books on my disk. guess I should put that near my tablet at least.

The Belgariad is definitely more interesting than the Mallorean so give it a read.
Spoiler
You're favorite character will be Silk. Gorchnik is calling it now.

Spice and Wolf Volume 8

Fine taste sir.  They need to hurry up with Volume 12. Releases in one week, hooray!

Speaking of which, Gorchnik. I may require your assistance about the illustrated dust covers. And by that I mean I want to make sure every volume I buy has one.

Sadly if Gorchnik recalls correctly they stopped releasing them with dust jackets after volume 5 your lord believes? The rest have just been printed with the same art as the original Japanese light novels.  If you are referring to getting volumes 1-5 with a dust jacket on them then be sure to buy new, but even then it is not a guarantee.  Check both your local bookstores and Amazon/Ebay.