Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Commander Zaelthul

Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 02:31:23 am »
Sadly if Gorchnik recalls correctly they stopped releasing them with dust jackets after volume 5 your lord believes? The rest have just been printed with the same art as the original Japanese light novels.  If you are referring to getting volumes 1-5 with a dust jacket on them then be sure to buy new, but even then it is not a guarantee.  Check both your local bookstores and Amazon/Ebay.
My concern was that the site I was going to buy them off every odd volume had the photographic covers and I wasn't entirely sure what was going on with the covers. I'll probably contact them tonight about them. I looked at Ebay and they sell them there but it'll cost $26NZD to get them sent over.
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 02:53:38 am »
Sadly if Gorchnik recalls correctly they stopped releasing them with dust jackets after volume 5 your lord believes? The rest have just been printed with the same art as the original Japanese light novels.  If you are referring to getting volumes 1-5 with a dust jacket on them then be sure to buy new, but even then it is not a guarantee.  Check both your local bookstores and Amazon/Ebay.
My concern was that the site I was going to buy them off every odd volume had the photographic covers and I wasn't entirely sure what was going on with the covers. I'll probably contact them tonight about them. I looked at Ebay and they sell them there but it'll cost $26NZD to get them sent over.

Just remember that volume 1 ORIGINALLY came with the terrible NA artwork as the cover and the "original" art as the dust jacket.  After that they reprinted it with the terrible NA art as the dust jackets so you could take them off if you couldn't stand looking at them.  Gorchnik kept them on just to keep the books in better condition. And if they ever get nasty, into the trash-can they go!

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 09:43:09 am »
And on other releases I didn't realise was out until this thread reminded me to check up on them, I just got myself volume 2 of the Aria the Scarlet Ammo novel. 8)

Offline DesertFox

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 09:47:26 am »
Spice and Wolf Volume 8
Fine taste sir.  They need to hurry up with Volume 12. Releases in one week, hooray!
I hope you've preordered.

Gorchnik kept them on just to keep the books in better condition. And if they ever get nasty, into the trash-can they go!
Keeping the dustjackets...

WHY?!
DesertFox
WarGirl Games

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 10:04:18 am »
Spice and Wolf Volume 8
Fine taste sir.  They need to hurry up with Volume 12. Releases in one week, hooray!

Gorchnik kept them on just to keep the books in better condition. And if they ever get nasty, into the trash-can they go!

WHY?!

to keep the books in better condition.
(╯░□░)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 02:45:06 pm »
Spice and Wolf Volume 8

WHY?!

See above.  And yes of course Gorchnik has preordered.  However, there is no need as your lord owns all 18 original Japanese volumes as well.  Good stuff, good stuff.

Offline Anonymous

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 10:25:38 pm »
Well damn, this topic is old. Surprised to see the lack of activity in this thread compared to the anime thread.

Anyway, I've recently been reading Domestic na Kanojo recently, and it's been a fun ride. There just is something to Sasuga Kei's works that makes it more Shoujo than actual Shoujo at times, and makes it extremely addictive. It awakes the inner sadist within you, perhaps? Heh.

Lord Ignatz

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 09:53:15 pm »
Well, we already have a what are you watching thread, so might as well have this as a literary counterpart to those plebians, eh? :P

Anyway, don't have much to read right now, what with my work schedule and all, but I'm having a lot of fun reading Daily Life with Monster Girl (it's ecchi though, so might want to keep the 'rents and young'uns away), as well as Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa/Truthism, which is all-ages and all-hilarious. The reaction faces alone are worth the price of admission.

So, how about you lot? What are your literary indulgences?

I've heard many good things about these two (there will be anime adaptations for both of them, too!).
I should give them a try.

Also, recently got my hands on Rosario + Vampire Season II volume 13, so just one more volume left to go to complete the series.

I read it some time ago and liked it. Nice manga.

Kokoa is kawaii :3

Still, the bus driver was my fav character.

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 11:29:13 pm »
I'm reading "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" and "Magical Girl Apocalypse". I'm waiting for book 3 of the prior and book 4 of the latter to come out since I've read the others in each series. I'm also going to read "Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova" once it arrives in the mail.

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Anonymous

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 12:05:40 am »
I'm reading "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?" and "Magical Girl Apocalypse". I'm waiting for book 3 of the prior and book 4 of the latter to come out since I've read the others in each series. I'm also going to read "Arpeggio of Blue Steel: Ars Nova" once it arrives in the mail.

I have actually never heard of, never mind read, of the former two titles, although AoBS is a pretty good manga in my opinion, you should have fun reading it.

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 12:18:51 am »

I have actually never heard of, never mind read, of the former two titles, although AoBS is a pretty good manga in my opinion, you should have fun reading it.

I bought the first (the LN not the manga) because the anime seemed like it would be pretty good. I bought "Magical Girl Apocalypse" because it seemed interesting, and AoBS:AN because I finished the anime and wanted to continue the story. I heard the anime went with an original ending and left stuff out, so this should be fun.

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 05:22:19 am »
I've still yet to finish the manga of Arpeggio, but yeah, in my opinion the manga was fairly superior to the anime: while it's not exactly as moe (the order of some events is changed so Haruna loses screentime), Takao is equal or better, and the plot improves four-fold.

It however has long-ass battles (the battle I think it was of Tokyo bay? lasts 8 chapters despite starting at chapter 7 I think), which are mostly awesome, but the pacing around them becomes a little more difficult, so if you have to mind money and can't buy volume after volume maybe you won't like it as much,
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline woolyshambler

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 12:10:39 am »
I've still yet to finish the manga of Arpeggio, but yeah, in my opinion the manga was fairly superior to the anime: while it's not exactly as moe (the order of some events is changed so Haruna loses screentime), Takao is equal or better, and the plot improves four-fold.

It however has long-ass battles (the battle I think it was of Tokyo bay? lasts 8 chapters despite starting at chapter 7 I think), which are mostly awesome, but the pacing around them becomes a little more difficult, so if you have to mind money and can't buy volume after volume maybe you won't like it as much,

The manga's art style gets to me a little; I like Iona way more in the anime.  Haruna and Kirishima took on totally bigger and better roles in the anime adaptation as well; also really liked Kirishima's costume design so much more in the anime!  *hot hot*

Takao was really awesome in both, Tsundere cruiser 4life.

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 04:30:53 am »

Bigger battles? This could be good.

The manga's art style gets to me a little; I like Iona way more in the anime.  Haruna and Kirishima took on totally bigger and better roles in the anime adaptation as well; also really liked Kirishima's costume design so much more in the anime!  *hot hot*

Takao was one of my favorite characters from the anime.

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 06:51:37 am »

Bigger battles? This could be good.

Well, they are not bigger per se, but it's juts that things that in the anime were relatively simple, like juts Ionna launching torpedos, the enemy counter-attacking until everyone uses their super-cannon are explained with a lot more detail (and pages are also cluttered with extra-detail of the mechanical designs, firing the super-cannon can take up to 3-4 pages due to them drawing a lot of the process). It plays a lot with hide-and-seek, like the anime, but probably from the fact that it's a manga it feels more suspenseful.

Eh, I understand. going to the manga after the anime may be  a little tough. I however liked Iona design better in the manga, it did really felt something was off, that she was not truly human (for the rest, I agree, Kirishima's costume was a lot better in the anime).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:53:30 am by Marx-93 »
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home