Author Topic: Question regarding command points  (Read 2935 times)

Offline MasterFail

Question regarding command points
« on: March 07, 2014, 05:24:33 pm »
From what I remeber reading in the demo (and I'd like to verify it, but the download link on the kickstarter page has gone  :'( ), command points seem to be rather important in terms of gameplay. Also, while the specifics may or may not change, the gain of command points seems directly related to your performance in battle.

With that in mind, will there be a way to accumulate command points between battles (either by grinding in easier battles or by any other means)?
Depending on just how important exactly they will be, it seems that if you are already not doing terribly well in battles, chances are that this will only get worse as time goes on.

If I totally misremembered/hallucinated all of that, just disregard this question. ^^

Offline Elvis Strunk

Re: Question regarding command points
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »
From what I remember reading about one of the Stretch Goals, there are going to be some decisions at certain parts of the story, and you can choose really awesome/crazy stuff if you have enough points. I'm not sure what else they're for, but there must be something, since they were in before the Stretch Goal was reached. It might have been stated before, but I just don't remember right now. Also, if you want to download the demo, you need to scroll down until you reach the second section for downloading the demo, in the middle of the screenshots, and click on that.

Offline Lost Engineer

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 06:54:04 pm »
Aside from command decisions the only known game feature using CP right now are command orders. For instance using the Sunrider's main cannon will cost CP rather than (or perhaps in addition to) energy; a powerful move that is to be used sparingly - even though using it will still be the best course of action in some situations.

So if you don't care much for battles you'll probably be playing on novel mode, in which case you won't need to expend CP on powerful moves in the first place. If the CP gain mechanics stay the way they are in the demo, then lower difficulties will actually make it easier to gain CP in battles, offset by the fact that they'll be played by beginners / players who are not very good at this.

I would actually hope that rather than there being a way to grind battles you've done before (other than via game+ repeated playthroughs), there should be enough exploration and faction side quests that the player won't be hurting for money or CP if they do most of them. Note also regarding command decisions that you won't be able to see all the content in a single playthrough anyway, so perhaps you aren't supposed to be able to use certain (or at least all) story-altering decisions in your first playthrough either.

Offline MasterFail

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 08:13:23 pm »
I totally missed the info about CPs being used for decisions. Apparently, I have forgotten how to read in the past few years. That would actually make it better if they were non-grindable - "earn your awesome decision option" ^^

Somehow, I had the impression that they were going to be integral to the battles. By the addition of the side quest stretch goals, I was worried that you could hit a series of side quest battles you aren't powerful enough to tackle yet, therefore draining you of your CPs rather quickly. Make that mistake twice, and that could probably send you into "unwinnable" territory. Challenging battles are awesome. Save games rendered unwinnable... not so much  ;)

I just realized it might have been pretty useless to bring that topic up at this point anyway, before even the first alpha is out with a battle system that will be very different from the demo in the first place. Oh well, now it is too late :-\

@Elvis: Thanks for the hint regarding the demo  :)

Offline Samu-kun

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:25:19 pm »
The command points are used for two things.

First, you can use command points in battle to issue very powerful "Orders," which can substantially turn the tide of battle.  For example, you can issue an Order for everyone to "Play it Safe," which buffs the defense of all friendly units, tell everyone to get into "Attack Formation," which buffs all attacks, or to use one of the Sunrider's hidden weapons, which we're pretty mum about right now. =w=

Second, you can use the command points to make command decisions during the story segments of the game.  They're kind of like the interrupts in Mass Effect, where you can do something extra badass in exchange for command points.  (Eg. the most common scenario is make a choice which games the morality system. Usually you can't take actions to win the war without becoming more and more evil, but with a command decision, you'll be both able to get a step closer to winning the war and become more heroic in the process)

Finally, yes, there will be many side missions you can optionally undertake to gain more command points.  How and when you expend them are entirely up to you.  If you use your command points recklessly, then yes, you'll be punished accordingly, so I'd advise all future captains to use them wisely. ;)