Author Topic: about the upcoming beta‏  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Vaendryl

about the upcoming beta‏
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:18:51 am »
So, its just a few more days before we release the first beta. Lots of stress over here of course as were trying to cram as much in it as possible (without breaking all the things).

Let me first point out that the AI especially is a very young experimental thing prone to do weird things sometimes. rest assured it will improve. in fact, I fully expect to keep tinkering away at it during all the rest of development. At the very least it shouldn't crash the game.  much.   ;)
chalk any problems you have with it up to my incompetence. Still learning as I go  8)

That said, the whole game is still of course very much a work in progress and although I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself it's likely you'll run into some issue, concern, annoyance or grievance. Please tell us all about it though as feedback like that is invaluable to us and can only make the game better!

I hope you guys are as excited for the beta as I am looking forward to reading about your experience with it!  ;D
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Commander Zaelthul

Re: about the upcoming beta‏
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 05:47:44 am »
Stupid question but it just past by my mind:
Will this be an open-beta or closed off to the Backers?
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:25:54 am »
I think it's a closed beta, since @LiS asked for our email adresses to sent the beta key / link.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 06:49:12 am »
I have a question. Will you guys have a standard problem feedback form or something to fill out or will you want us to just report any problems in our own words/ in our own layout? It's important to have things like how you got to the error and if you can recreate it and stuff in there.

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:49:34 am »
From what I recall, the only people that have access to the beta testing are those that backed fifteen or more dollars. Basically, only 1084 people have access to the tests.

Also, the beta's coming out soon! I mean, that was already basically confirmed, but THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY!

AHEM. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how much has changed, and I also look forward to discovering as many bugs as I possibly can! I need an excuse to throw me computer out a window, you see.

Also, we'll all finally get a chance to meet Chigara, and learn more about everyone else! So many exclamation points right now, needs more ellipses...

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 06:57:00 am »
Are we actually going to finally meet all of the crew? I think this beta would focus on the battle engine rather than the story.

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:13:35 am »
We promised beta access as a reward for backing us, so it would probably be weird if we opened up the beta to everyone anyway. I personally think it'd be cool if we could open up a beta release to everyone the moment a new release for backers comes out. this would end up giving backers a 3 month (give or take) perpetual advantage over non-backers, but in the end Sam is the one who would decide on such a thing.

I like to think that the new battle engine will be a major point of the new beta but there's definitely a bit more story too. Chigara is definitely there now too. I can't promise you more new characters than her though. we gotta have something special for the next beta, you see :D

as for a feedback form.. well, it would help us track down bugs more easily but if people have an issue I'd rather they just tell us about it. I want to hear about anything and everything, even if it can't properly be called a 'bug'. if what I think is a nifty feature annoys people we should have another look at it. I prefer a more open dialogue than a bugtracker.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:20:32 am by Vaendryl »
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Commander Zaelthul

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:15:46 am »
We promised beta access as a reward for backing us, so it would probably be weird if we opened up the beta to everyone anyway.

I like to think that the new battle engine will be a major point of the new beta but there's definitely a bit more story too. Chigara is definitely there now too. I can't promise you more new characters than her though. we gotta have something special for the next beta, you see :D
I didn't pay too much attention to the backer awards so I wasn't entirely sure what you lot were doing with that.
Just to confirm my suspicions.
The Great Commandy one
Commander Zael'thul of the Legion of Cynics
"In the Temple of Wheat, we trust in our holy goddess"
The Goddess protects!

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:20:13 am »
 That's cool. I expected some new stuff but it wouldn't have been too bad if it was just the battle engine rework since it's quite different now. I guess we will find out soon enough but since the battle engine works on a plane now, will there be things such as hazards providing defensive bonuses and damage to units in certain squares?

100 posts yay

Offline Samu-kun

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:44:59 am »
Indeed the beta is still going to be pretty rough, and I admit, most of it will have to be improved in the future, but we're hoping that it'll be a good starting point.

This beta will be officially closed, but hell, since we're essentially going to be coding the game until the moment of release, I don't think we'll have time to set up a beta code system right now, so we'll just message all backers with a download link.

Offline Sne-tigerv2

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 11:17:23 am »
I can't wait for it :D
I believe we i will find bugs and we will report them but it is only the way of the beta.
Hoping that we will see more of the crew members personally i would love to see Icari :D
You may find heaven but you will always find OBLIVION!!!

Offline The Loli Assassin

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 06:37:39 pm »
I'm very excited for the new beta, and as a backer with beta privileges I wouldn't be opposed to people who backed less than $15 (or not at all) eventually getting the old betas.
"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline Samu-kun

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 08:01:56 pm »
I think Vaendryl's idea of releasing the betas after a three month gap sounds pretty good. That way, the people who backed get their award much earlier than everyone else, while the game can still get new fans through development.

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 09:01:53 pm »
Good idea. I'm sure there will be a lot of people that'll want to get involved in the game as development goes on. I remember at least one person on the Steam forum that didn't find Sunrider until just after the Kickstarter ended, and I'm sure they, and everyone else that's discovered it since then, would appreciate access to the betas, even if they have to wait a couple months.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 11:58:38 pm »
I wouldn't mind other getting old betas. I only want to play myself (and help out of course), so in truth I don't really care what other people get access too so long as I can help out in beta and bug reporting. I know that if I had missed the kickstarter I would also want to ether play the beta too, even if its an older version, or, I would have forgotten about the game.