Author Topic: about the upcoming beta‏  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Vaendryl

Re: about the upcoming beta‏
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 01:14:22 am »
That's cool. I expected some new stuff but it wouldn't have been too bad if it was just the battle engine rework since it's quite different now. I guess we will find out soon enough but since the battle engine works on a plane now, will there be things such as hazards providing defensive bonuses and damage to units in certain squares?

100 posts yay

There won't be any hazards or bonus mechanics like that in this beta release, but there's a good chance there eventually will be in a future version.
also, congrats on your commission, ensign :D
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 02:51:27 am »
A battle in asteroids field, or space debris from past wars could be interesting. The randomly placed asteroids/debris can be used as covers.

Offline The Loli Assassin

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 12:39:17 pm »
A battle in asteroids field, or space debris from past wars could be interesting. The randomly placed asteroids/debris can be used as covers.

That sounds like a special kind of coding hell. It'd be really awesome though.
"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 02:15:22 pm »
Yes, I've been in that kind of position when I worked as a packaging designer. It's easy to throw ideas around when you don't know how to make it happen :D.

I wonder which part is going to make it harder to code? Randomly placing asteroids/debris or using that asteroids/debris as covers?

The full version of my crazy rambling:
1. We can use the asteroids/debris as covers, it can absorb some / full (if you're lucky) attack from the enemy.
2. We can't use the asteroids/debris as shields for prolonged time. It will be destroyed after absorbing a few attacks.
3. We can target the asteroids/debris, and with enough fire power, we can destroy it. When this happens, the unit using the asteroids/debris as a shield will receive extra damage.
4. We can add highly explosive debris as well, something like fuel tanks :D. It serves as field hazard. We can target and destroy the explosive debris, and unit/units standing close to it, will receive damage.

That last bit makes me wonder, are we going to be able to attack on multiple / all enemies?

Tl;dr version: skip this post and read the next one :D

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 04:03:53 pm »
Yes, I've been in that kind of position when I worked as a packaging designer. It's easy to throw ideas around when you don't know how to make it happen :D.

I wonder which part is going to make it harder to code? Randomly placing asteroids/debris or using that asteroids/debris as covers?

The full version of my crazy rambling:
1. We can use the asteroids/debris as covers, it can absorb some / full (if you're lucky) attack from the enemy.
2. We can't use the asteroids/debris as shields for prolonged time. It will be destroyed after absorbing a few attacks.
3. We can target the asteroids/debris, and with enough fire power, we can destroy it. When this happens, the unit using the asteroids/debris as a shield will receive extra damage.
4. We can add highly explosive debris as well, something like fuel tanks :D. It serves as field hazard. We can target and destroy the explosive debris, and unit/units standing close to it, will receive damage.

That last bit makes me wonder, are we going to be able to attack on multiple / all enemies?

Tl;dr version: skip this post and read the next one :D

coding path-finding algorithms is especially complicated and for the foreseeable future Sunrider's combat will not have any. this means that asteroids blocking your way (or the opponents!) will not be a thing (anytime soon, if ever).
However, there will definitely be asteroids (and other things) on the map that provide a passive cover bonus (or penalty!) for being near or on top of them.  I don't think you'll be able to specifically target these hazards.

attacking multiple enemies however will be a thing ;)
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 04:33:25 pm »
Considering that we're actually going to have real shields (or at least force fields) now, I don't think it's really all that important to make more things we can use to shield ourselves. It could get a bit ridiculous if the boss wondered on a spot that provides decent blocking, and then, thanks to being a boss, ends up completely indestructible for like five turns in a row or something. Although something like the forts in Fire Emblem, which ever so slightly raise your defense or chance to dodge while you're standing on them makes a bit more sense to me. Or maybe I just need to stop comparing everything to Fire Emblem...

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 12:05:08 am »
 I think you would just need to flank the boss if they're behind a asteroid. If your thinking like a fort in fire emblem, that's now quite what I had in mind when I though of the idea. My idea was that the asteroid took up a grid space and prevented fire to those directly behind it from the other side. That allows for units to flank units behind them and means they're not godlike. This also works both ways since they can't fire through the hunk of rock in front of them. They would be best used to advance towards enemies. You can still hurt them for full damage; you just need to get beside them or behind them. If an asteroid was an effect placed on a tile life the forts in fire emblem (since we can't seem to leave the game alone), I would expect that the terrain would do as much good as bad since you would have roids bouncing off you while you were in there causing damage over time/ preventing shields recharging.

Yup. good luck trying to code our ideas. I know I wouldn't know where it start.
Anyway, you don't ever need to think you have to put the random crap we come up with into the game. It's your baby and you technically owe us nothing. Just build what you set out to create and don't feel too pressured to follow the whims of a fanbase because that is when it becomes imposable to fufill all the ideas. Don't get me wrong. if you like an idea, by all means steal mine. I'm happy to provide them and I'm happy to let you use them.

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 12:13:20 am »
Oh God, can you imagine how confusing everything would get if every fan idea got incorporated? Battles would likely take about six hours each, and everyone would be firing space whale missiles out of toaster cannons while using planets as shields. Not to mention, everyone would end up as a clone of an alternate dimension version of the captain, who happens to be female.

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2014, 02:28:13 am »
How long do you guys think an ideal battle should be?

It was not a tactical/strategy game, but I think the longest boss battle I've ever had lasts around 3 hours, against Daimon in Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. I didn't have a clue on his weakness, I was underleveled, and apparently didn't bring enough healing items. All of my party members swept out, and I had to do the hit and run tactic with those little damage I can inflict. After I finished the game, I replayed it in new game plus. Maximized the level and the stats of my party, equipped all the best weapons and armors. It took me less than 10 minutes to beat Daimon and his Final Form :D.

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 04:03:30 am »
Where should we post bugs when we find them? Will it be a publicly accessible board on this website? Will it be in the comments section of the Kickstarter? Will it be a private board on this website only accessible by those with a beta-key?

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Samu-kun

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:14 am »
You can just post bug reports on the already existing forum on this board.  I'd rather not do bug testing on the Kickstarter thread, since there will likely be many bug reports and things will get disorganized very quickly.

I think the battles in the beta last about 15 minutes each, and I think most of the battles should last about the same amount, aside for big boss battles, which may go longer.

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 08:32:30 am »
Where should we post bugs when we find them? Will it be a publicly accessible board on this website? Will it be in the comments section of the Kickstarter? Will it be a private board on this website only accessible by those with a beta-key?
There is an official sub-forum for Bug Reports.

Maybe a stickied thread there for every beta revision for overall game issues encountered that might not have error numbers (e.g. [Bug Reports: Beta 0.xx1a]), new threads for specific issues that have error numbers, etc?

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 04:24:11 am »
Well, I obviously haven't been paying too much attention to that area of the forum...

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death