Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles  (Read 20568 times)

Offline Marx-93

Valkyria Chronicles
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:55:08 pm »
So, we had a nice discussion on the VN's recommendation thread about Valkyria Chronicles, but we kinda noticed that the thread that was supposed to be about Visual Novels had half of it's space occupied by rantings or praises towards this series. So, as a fan and lover of orderly forums, I start this thread so everyone can freely rant or praise whatever they want.

First, a little summary:

Valkyria Chronicles is pseudo real time yet also turn based strategy RPG that was released on Japan, America and Europe (and Australia) on year 2008. Its most revolutionary feature was it's BLiTZ battle system, in which you have and overhead map to choose which unit to move (in a standard SRPG way), but when you choose that unit you're put in control of them in a 3D battle with a 3rd person view. When you control the unit in that way, the enemy however doesn't wait for you to make your move, but shoots interception fire towards you (as long as you are in their range or field of vision). Not only that, the movement is not decided by a grid of any kind (you instead have a number of action points that depletes as you move) and the presence of obstacles, height and even mines plays a part. All of this creates an effect of seemingly playing on real time.

The first game has an standard story, clearly inspired by the European front of WWII. In it, the players take control of squad 7, a militia squad of the Principality of Gallia hastily recruited to try to defeat the invasion launched by the Empire, a mission which seems almost impossible, due to clear difference of size, technology and even leadership between the defence forces and the Imperial forces.

The sequel,  Valkyria Chronicles 2 , is effectively the black sheep of the family. Situated on Gallia 2 years after the first game. The game was released on PSP, which meant that the praised cell-shading look of VC1 (itself released on PS3) was impossible to reproduce. There were also numerous changes on the battle system, some of them good, but also some definitely bad. With a story also slightly worse than that in VC1, the game itself is also partially hated due to the fact that it's (very) poor sales on both USA and Europe meant that that Valkyria Chronicles 3 never saw a western release.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 is the last game of the franchise (well, it seems that there are some mobile games and other small things). Generally praised, it suffers from the fact that is has never seen the light outside of Japan, and thus is notably difficult for a lot of fans to acquire it legally. Thus I cannot accept or refute anything on whether it stands in the "bad-good" scale (general comments are that it's a lot better than VC2). While a fan translation seems to have been finished, it wasn't until the end of last year.

And, last month the original game was released on STEAM with an excellent port and it seems excellent sales too.

So, feel free to say whatever you think, or want.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:36:14 pm by Marx-93 »
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline [Astral|Zephyr]™

Re: Valkyria Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 10:25:12 pm »
Nice to see a thread discussing about this amazing series, nice work Marx. ;D

Personally I like VC3 more. Shame that it never saw a western release, but I was glad that a group have finished translating it. I prefer the japanese voices over dubs, they never do dubs right. Story wise, it's better than VC1 & more plausible. Combat systems have also been refined to it's finest (at least among all 3 series) even if there are still minor flaws, but those are easily ignored. Good bye credit system, the newest system is like a hybrid between VC1 & VC2 class systems but without the annoying credits. Classes lvl up together like in VC1, but this time instead of each class, it raises several specs for all the classes at the same time. So here players upgrade the stats of soldiers instead of each class. Each soldier will also have their current class 'rank up' to the next tier by simply deploying them more often in the battlefield & killing several enemies. The new potential system is also nice, with a grid map showing branches of the potential & shows simple but helpful hints in how to acquire that new potential you're looking for.

Definitely worth to play for any VC fan. I've played each series from VC1 to VC3 & till this day I still play them whenever I feel the urge. Mostly VC3 since the story is just that good, but that's probably my personal preference since I prefer a more darker & realistic view to war. In VC3 you don't play as heroes, you play as outcasts fighting for your very survival, against all odds & even forced to do suicide missions. With no hope for any support you can only rely on your squadmates. The camaraderie & bonds between squadmates is the strongest in VC3 compared to the other 2 series.
The only way to truly hurt a man, is to take everything that he valued and degrade it and remind him of it everyday of his life. But by doing this, you also create a monster, and you will regret ever harming that man, because he will be your greatest horror.

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 11:09:52 pm »
gotta beat vc1 .... after persona q  >.>

Currently- No good college game design student, too much anime in life
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Megillot

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 11:16:12 pm »
What do you guys think, can we hope for a Western release of VC3 in any form after success of VC1 on Steam?
Not sure if I want it to be a PC release, even with some kind of HD remastering, but my PSP died and VC2 can't be bought for Vita, so I'm not going to be picky - I'll take it for any platform.
I know that there are a fan translation. But I know a couple of things about fan translations (I even made one for Sunrider) and I would prefer an official localized version - I quite liked English voices in VC1 and VC2 too. 

P.S. Why Marx-93 calls Valkyria Chronicles "VK"? VK.com is a Russian Facebook. It confuses me every time.

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:28 pm »
P.S. Why Marx-93 calls Valkyria Chronicles "VK"? VK.com is a Russian Facebook. It confuses me every time.

Uoops, my mistake. I wasn't thinking straight (it was more like I was thinking of Valkyria, and the K just sounded better to me). I'll edit my posts to avoid that mistake
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Offline [Astral|Zephyr]™

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:38:41 pm »
What do you guys think, can we hope for a Western release of VC3 in any form after success of VC1 on Steam?
Not sure if I want it to be a PC release, even with some kind of HD remastering, but my PSP died and VC2 can't be bought for Vita, so I'm not going to be picky - I'll take it for any platform.
I know that there are a fan translation. But I know a couple of things about fan translations (I even made one for Sunrider) and I would prefer an official localized version - I quite liked English voices in VC1 and VC2 too. 

I already have all 3 VC series, the VC3 are the translated ones, I also own the VC2 undub version. If they do make a port, I hope they put the japanese voices as well like in VC1. I hate dubs, they never breathe life to the characters like japanese voice actors can. So far I have never heard any dubs that can come even close to the japanese original voices in terms of emotion & 'life'. They always feel rather dull, either that or it's too over the top that it feels artificial & awkward.

If the sales for the VC1 port goes well, I'm also with you in that I hope they localize VC3. Who knows, maybe they'll make an HD version for the PC. I would love to see that. This amazing series needs more love.
The only way to truly hurt a man, is to take everything that he valued and degrade it and remind him of it everyday of his life. But by doing this, you also create a monster, and you will regret ever harming that man, because he will be your greatest horror.

Offline Drath

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 04:25:57 pm »

I'm also hoping we get more of the series translated. From what you guys have posted, I would definitely want to try out VC3 as well. :) While waiting for the next VC, I'm spending my time watching VC anime and relistening to the soundtrack (I've caught myself humming the theme a good couple of times hehe). 
The weapons and tanks in the anime actually look exactly like the ones in the game. Me likes.  ;D Not as fun as actually playing the game, but its pretty relaxing.

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 07:56:05 pm »
Oh the VC anime... Although its starts good it becomes rather mediocre at the end, though since Faldio gets a lot of extra screen time you may rather like it Drath.

About a Western release of VC3, it's sadly rather unlikely. Sega's port of VC 1 in PC it's due to the fact that Sega's PS3 games were made with a structure and programming very similar to PC, as to facilitate a later port to it (don't ask me how it works, because my technical knowledge is rather limited, but the large number of good ports of Sega games on PC attest to it). Sega's PSP games probably won't have that, and since the PSP is a dead console in the west a localization of the original would be nuts.

A re-release of the game on PSP Vita is also very unlikely, given that en extra version of the PSP game with all the DLCs included and extra scenes was also launched on Japan, and on the PSP. Even then the PSP Vita is also fairly dead on the West. It could work as a niche release (as tons of other niche Japanese games are also being localized on the Vita), but I think that's not what Sega wants, as if it wanted that it would have localized VC3 already. That sadly also rules out the possibility of release on the PS Store (which would be lowering even more that small number of sales).

The good thing of VC sales on Steam is that it has showed Sega that Valkyria Chronicles is remembered with fondness in the west, and so the franchise isn't dead. But, that's only on the "big consoles". A Valkyria Chronicles game on PS4 or PC would surely see western release. But where the games has most profit is in Japan, and Japan is clearly abandoning home consoles in favour of portables. A PS4 or PC release would flop there, and without that market SEGA wouldn't be able to recoup all the investment that is required for a home console game.

So, sincerely, chances of any kind of VC are a little grim on the west. Ironically a port of any of the versions to PC would be the most probable way for VC3 to go west, but I don't know much of the PC gaming community. Would they accept to play on PC a game of the PSP? If SEGA's experts believe it, then there's a chance. If not, then we can only continue waiting. With luck the good sales of VC may have given SEGA a push to try to find some way to monetize VC3 in the west, and they may find some other way.   

Offline [Astral|Zephyr]™

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 08:09:01 pm »
It's sad to see VC3 is unlikely to be localized. The one I own is an iso file fully translated by a fan team. Their work is great, but if I could own a legal copy I would like that to complete my collection. This is an amazing title & it should earn a localization.

Sadly, reality isn't so kind. As for the port to PC, it's unlikely that PSP games would make it unless they use an emulator. The structure is just too different, what with the specs also far apart, it would require them making the game from scratch to match the PC specs & controls, so that's probably a no. If you're wiling to use an emulator it works like a charm, but that's not what the developers want. Like you said Marx, we can only wait & see.

Offline nokaraa

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 11:29:30 pm »
The sequel,  Valkyria Chronicles 2 , is effectively the black sheep of the family.
I already read that quite a few times, ‘Valkyria Chronicles II’ (VCII) being more inferior to its first or third installment, but I'm somehow glad I started with the second one first, because I really enjoy playing it, on and off, while missions and content is quite disperse, and I couldn't compare if it's really better or worse (which would be a plus here). ;)
The PS3 one (first part of the trilogy) is already sitting on my shelf, waiting patiently to be unwrapped. But I will prolong this moment for a little while, until I finished the PSP one.

All that I can say is, after ‘Shining Force (III)’, no other SRPG has gripped me that tight and enthusiastically as this one (and not only for its well rounded gameplay). (Although it isn't really a RPG to begin with, not the PSP one at least).
I love the various characterisations and the little stories they tell. (Although they are mostly light hearted or unoffensive in execution.)
The art is one of its strongest points in my opinion and storytelling practically Text-Adventure/VN style (without too many clichés).
The setting itself is far from original (although the background of the first ‘VC’ is interesting enough), but it somehow works well and mostly uses it just as a background for the player to re-imagine.

Every Tactical-Turn based fan, enjoying their gaming experience a tad on the easier and accessible side (which includes a well balanced or designed game progress), should give it a try.

[The only thing which could bother some, might be the continuous military background (which isn't a problem in itself, more how they are executed or portrayed, and what their focus is).
"Valkyria Chronicle" sure is on the reasonable and 'war is not the answer' side (and a bit ‘animised’ at times), and picks up different circumstances to be expressed by the various characters of the cast and their goals/ambitions (in a light or less conflicting tone, mind you, rather idealistic). And Tactical-Games are mostly on the confrontation side anyway, so I guess it's actually something, people are looking out for; but just as a side note.]

Can't wait to finally start the first one. Hope it doesn't clash too much with conveniences, that were build up in ‘VCII’, and still offers enough fresh things, to be intrigued with.

Offline AkioKlaus

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 04:16:39 pm »
start with the worst is a good habit.

that is if you dont die out and drop series cuz it was too horrible.
Currently- No good college game design student, too much anime in life
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline wingsoflibertytwo

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 04:57:08 pm »
I was mildly irritated by how you had arbitrary boundaries on battle map which you couldn't go through  and the fact that you're encouraged to stock up turns and do kamikaze runs with one character like they're Terminator to complete the mission as fast as possible so you get a better ranking as it's measured in the amount of turns it took you to complete it. Compared  to X-COM, where playing like that and taking huge risks will likely get your squad killed at an alarming rate, that's so...japanese. It's still a good game regardless though, innovative and interesting.

Offline WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 07:56:32 pm »
I was mildly irritated by how you had arbitrary boundaries on battle map which you couldn't go through  and the fact that you're encouraged to stock up turns and do kamikaze runs with one character like they're Terminator to complete the mission as fast as possible so you get a better ranking as it's measured in the amount of turns it took you to complete it. Compared  to X-COM, where playing like that and taking huge risks will likely get your squad killed at an alarming rate, that's so...japanese. It's still a good game regardless though, innovative and interesting.

The wonderful thing that make skirmish battle so short, God bless the defence boost ^^

Well, the skirmish battle and the Naggiar battle were the only time I used this, so it's not as if it made the game to easy for me.
Also I didn't know that there were fan-trad for the third game, I will search a emulator tomorrow

Elvis Strunk [Aug 10, 2016, 12:40:11 am]:   Meta is eternally a loli~
Arraxis [Sep 23, 2016, 11:37:43 pm]:   Love you too Meta

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:51:49 pm »
Oh, hey, this thread exists. Time to add it to the index.

Just started playing this a few days back, had to avoid a certain topic because of all the unmarked character deaths.

Offline Inaho Rowe

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 11:24:05 pm »
well sorry i didn't read anything(for now at least)....there was so too much text XD
but her come my thinking

the first one was trully good one
for the second and thirs....from the video i have saw.............................it's ....just not good....
the second one is way too repetitive.....the map are like always the same but in differents time (one is in winter the other summer etc etc) and the third one...is taking map from the first one and putting it in....
so yeah....the gameplay in themselves seems good i like the idea of both the academy(especially with the tank uppgrade and from scratch) and the "renegade" squad  but that goes that far
after i havn't played them but well...
-a new world with new depth-
"graduated from ryder pilot and enginering course
finnaly got to pilot my own ryder
still an long way until being a captain of my future assault carrier or even a commender of a litle fregate.....but i'm on my way to the top."