Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles  (Read 14916 times)

Offline Duke Rockhopper

Re: Valkyria Chronicles
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2018, 05:09:51 pm »
Thoughts from a penguin:
You can just about make out amongst the animated players is the soundtrack for this game, at least in part it's the same as the first game. During the speech at the beginning and the first level itself, you can hear A Fevered Offensive playing as the background music, while the second level has Urban Warfare. Enemy turns seem to be using Against the Odds as well. I have mixed feelings regarding reusing soundtracks and I'll be kinda disappointed if they focus on reusing old ones rather than new, so hopefully this is just for the beginning missions.

The new mortar class looks like a kancolle shipgirl when moving (XD), and the sniper's outfit is awesome too. The minute or two focused on her *ahem* assets was justified :P

Something I was impressed by was the tank movement. It looks like it handles so much more nicely than before, which I wasn't even considering as a problem previously. The vehicle looks lighter, with the changes to the stopping animation. The little tweaks and changes really do make it nicer, in my opinion. The new potential animation looks cool too ^_^

Looks like the scouts start as advanced scouts, which really does show the power difference between the Federation and Gallia, if it wasn't clear by then already! On the subject of scouts, that's totally Kurisu with glasses and a hairpin. You can't fool me!

Snipers can return fire after being hit! Very much like~

Now I too have to face the PS4 vs Switch debate...
...will probably just get it on both XD

The Bigfoot: Curse you penguins! I knew all that waddling and falling around was a bluff|woolyshambler: frankly i'm surprised the genetically enhanced mutant penguins hadn't shown up sooner. you could say i've been expecting them. |GreyCat: duke could be better at spelling, but he chooses instead to spend his time focusing on arse|The Meta concedes Penguins are better|Deeox2: Looked like the commbox collectively lost it. Nice.|Jynx: Yandere Duke scares me... A lot.|Deeox2: Hey. It ain't lewd. I'm just waiting for Duke to kiss me|Elvis Strunk: Silly Duke. I am the woman, you are the penguin.

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2018, 11:26:11 pm »
Looks pretty cool. A bit too similar to the first one IMO, but after all the shenanigans it's probably for the best. The only thing that seriously irks me is that it seems it still uses the same ranking system, with only the number of turns counting instead of anything else, and the map ending by capturing the enemy main base. That promotes cheesing most maps IMO, but maybe they rebalanced stuff?
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline WhydidIbuytheunionfrigate

« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2018, 09:18:22 pm »
Little late on the draw here but the same YouTuber I promoted earlier for VC Azure has his 3 , 1hour videos showing off the VC4 demo in Japanese. Again like Marx said, he does have an accent (it's mild to me).

There's not much new to say about it. It just feels like the sequel game we deserved.
FE Games Played (Finished): Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Binding Blade
FE Games Playing (or hiatus): Sacred Stones, Genealogy of the Holy War, Conquest
Most influential games/series: Valkyria Chronicles, Nier: Automata, Spec Ops: The Line
Worst Endgame in a Video Game I've played: FE Binding Blade (normal)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BAleNswfujYs6IuWpqzypDTqJY2_J3Av/view?usp=sharing (I made a NAO robot dance Hare Hare Yukai!)

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2018, 03:44:53 pm »
Just performing necromancy on this thread because the English demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 is out, in case anybody missed news about it.

Iíve downloaded and played it on the Switch, and Iím so happy with what Iíve played so far, with everything feeling like a true sequel (simu-quel?) to the original Valkyria Chronicles weíve been waiting for (in all the right places), that I went and put down a preorder for it before even finishing the demo contents... The save game of which will carry over to the actual release, as well as unlocking a bonus accessory for it.

Also, from what Iíve read the game is locked to 30fps on all platforms and nothing that really pushes the boundaries in terms of graphics, so other than a few minor visual details, youíd get basically the same game on all versions. Which means the portability and convenience of the Switch version wins hands down for me.

Offline WhydidIbuytheunionfrigate

« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2018, 04:06:53 pm »
Hmmm, the demo isn't for Steam... Oh well. I'm at least glad they decided to release the PC version closer to the console version unlike some games.

I'm not sure if I'm onboard with the pre-order option, just out of principal. I might buy it on release day however.

FPS locking? Not a problem. Not into that high FPS anyways. Potato is best PC.
FE Games Played (Finished): Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Binding Blade
FE Games Playing (or hiatus): Sacred Stones, Genealogy of the Holy War, Conquest
Most influential games/series: Valkyria Chronicles, Nier: Automata, Spec Ops: The Line
Worst Endgame in a Video Game I've played: FE Binding Blade (normal)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BAleNswfujYs6IuWpqzypDTqJY2_J3Av/view?usp=sharing (I made a NAO robot dance Hare Hare Yukai!)

Offline Deeox2

« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2018, 03:06:23 am »
if you liked vc1 you'll like vc4.

Like. They just took VC1 and just added new stuff that doesn't completely change the game design formula like with what I've read on VC2 and VC3. (Also it's not Azure Revolution.)

Gud. Will buy for Switch.

(Also Sniper is Best Girl again.)

Offline Deeox2

« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2018, 07:16:50 am »
Went at about 3 PM, picked up my VC4 preorder at the Canadian version of GameStop...

Basically played it for 9 hours straight. I think I've barely dented the game's content. My favorite characters are Kai, the main sniper lady, and a scout named Rosetta who's just the sweetest thing ever. They use they/them pronouns, but from the layers of it being a translation of a Japanese game, I think Rosetta's a transwoman...

Anyway,

Gameplay is basically an improved version of VC1. You have your standard Scouts, Shocktroopers, yadayada, but now you have grenadiers that excel at taking out bunched up groups of infantry and slow down tanks and soldiers with suppressive mortar fire. You also get an APC like ten battles in that lets you transport up to two units at a time. Oh, speaking of vehicles, instead of them costing two CP to use, they cost one now and all their ammo is limited instead of just the mortars like in VC1. I think that's a much better change, especially when you don't have a Lancer hero unit any more.

Not far enough into the story to make any calls about it yet, but it seems like typical anime melodrama so far. Obvious romantic pairings almost immediately, which I'm not too sold on yet. I thought maybe everyone's favorite imperial general, Radi Jaegar came back, but it's just some guy that looks similar. I know that someone in the main good guy cast is likely to be a Valkyria, because that's how literally every VC game has worked since the series started, but I have no clues yet to who that might be...

That's about it for now. I definitely enjoy the game, since it really is just an upgraded VC1 (which is what everyone wanted instead of the handheld VC2 and VC3)

Online WeAreTheMeta

« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2018, 03:14:55 pm »
Well, guess I'll go and get it eventually then.

Elvis Strunk [Aug 10, 2016, 12:40:11 am]:   Meta is eternally a loli~
Arraxis [Sep 23, 2016, 11:37:43 pm]:   Love you too Meta

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2018, 06:55:11 am »
Spoiler

Offline Deeox2

« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2018, 03:54:56 pm »
Very proud.