Nova
0 (0%)
Lux Fides Aeternum
1 (5.9%)
Sekira
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: January 25, 2015, 12:07:56 pm

Author Topic: Ship Name!  (Read 12467 times)

Offline Megillot

Re: Ship Name!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 11:26:20 am »
The name "Nova" is horrible in its banality. Might as well put someone named Ray Starlighter at the helm of ship and hope that sci-fi naming cliches will reach critical mass and ship will implode on itself, creating a wormhole through which readers could escape from Universe of Bad Fanfiction.

What about The Sakira? That has a nice ring to it. It's Monday and we have around 15 suggestions already. That makes me happy ^v^

Make it "Sekira" and it will satisfy "named after weapons" convention: "sekira" is Russian for a type of battle axe. However I think this name will be more suitable for a fleet destroyer or cruiser, not the small intelligence ship. For all we know, the ship could be completely unarmed. I always thought of Nimross as a glorified unarmed courier ship as well, even though its crew included two fighter pilots. Is this true or there are some lasers on Nimross after all?

Offline IceFireMagi

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 10:42:56 pm »
I actually didnt know that before I thought of the name... The more you know..
Will IceFire

Offline KomiTsuku

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 12:26:09 pm »
Voting has started!

Offline IceFireMagi

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 02:48:35 am »
Why do I find myself coming back and checking on the voting every half an hour? Or am I not the only one?
Will IceFire

Offline Coga

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 11:59:57 pm »
You're not, don't worry.  :)

Offline IceFireMagi

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 08:55:33 am »
The struggle. It's been less than a day and already there's competition. At this rate there's gonna be a tie or a win by one, ya know?
Will IceFire

Offline Coga

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 01:09:54 am »
The struggle. It's been less than a day and already there's competition. At this rate there's gonna be a tie or a win by one, ya know?

Well, there's still a week to go, though- which is more than enough time for we proposers to get on the campaign trail 8)

Offline IceFireMagi

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 07:45:35 pm »
If there's a tie, I want someone to ask how the ship got its name during the novel and someone else responds saying that it was decided with a coin flip. XD
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:00:06 am by IceFireMagi »
Will IceFire

Offline KomiTsuku

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 01:46:38 pm »
If there is a tie, it may very well come down to a coin toss. Hopefully the votes break up!

Offline IceFireMagi

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 11:26:28 pm »
It's Friday. Anyone get the feeling that someone's gonna vote at the last second for 1 of the top 2? Just like the movies when it comes to any other crowd decision.
Will IceFire

Offline rellimkram

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 12:41:10 am »
It's Friday. Anyone get the feeling that someone's gonna vote at the last second for 1 of the top 2? Just like the movies when it comes to any other crowd decision.

That's my plan, to break a tie if there's still one at the end. If it gets decided without my vote, I'm abstaining from the selection process.
[Apr 04, 2016, 03:59:45 pm]:   Duke Rockhopper laughs! The creator has forbidden the character be used in ships. That's like telling a kid with a stick not to hit someone with it
Duke Rockhopper [Apr 04, 2016, 03:59:55 pm]:   People are gonna get hit with sticks
Geocorn [Sep 12, 2016, 01:41:44 pm]:   skipping class is as american as calling football soccer
Spoiler
Jynx: I mentioned that if Bea failed as a Maid, she'd force herself to be a housewife. /// WoolyShambler: Lucky Lola; looks like she'll have a live-in bedwarmer at the Lyceum /// Rev: Wasnt that Knat's job tho? /// WoolyShambler: I meant Bea /// Lola Lang would be happy enough to have both Bea and Knat in her bed each night

Offline rellimkram

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 02:27:03 pm »
Well, I done goofed. Not having payed attention to the time difference between the forum (which says it's currently about 9:25 AM) and my local time (12:19 AM according to my phone), I missed the end of the voting in which I said I'd break the tie for the name. My vote (if it will still end up counting for anything) is going toward Ardent Flare, as it seems more original to me.
[Apr 04, 2016, 03:59:45 pm]:   Duke Rockhopper laughs! The creator has forbidden the character be used in ships. That's like telling a kid with a stick not to hit someone with it
Duke Rockhopper [Apr 04, 2016, 03:59:55 pm]:   People are gonna get hit with sticks
Geocorn [Sep 12, 2016, 01:41:44 pm]:   skipping class is as american as calling football soccer
Spoiler
Jynx: I mentioned that if Bea failed as a Maid, she'd force herself to be a housewife. /// WoolyShambler: Lucky Lola; looks like she'll have a live-in bedwarmer at the Lyceum /// Rev: Wasnt that Knat's job tho? /// WoolyShambler: I meant Bea /// Lola Lang would be happy enough to have both Bea and Knat in her bed each night

Offline IceFireMagi

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 07:09:37 am »
According to my clock, there's still 5 hours left. Just edit the forum time somewhere in the settings to match your time. Also, on the topic of originality the most original (to me) Is Lux Fides Aeternum. Darklight and Ardent Flare tie on originality to me.
Will IceFire

Offline KomiTsuku

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 11:21:10 pm »
Time is up on voting! And the winner is...

Ardent Flare!

Offline magnaangemon01

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 05:48:04 pm »
Wow. I just put down the first thing that popped into my head. :p

Anyways, looked it up, and ardent means intensive, which an investigator would be. And flare means to burn with an intense fire, which could also mean passionate, which is another meaning of ardent.
Space: The Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship: Sunrider. It's ongoing mission to release the galaxy from PACT's control. To boldly undertake what no one has done before.