Author Topic: 'Conventional' units in the Sunrider verse?  (Read 1748 times)

Offline shanewallis123

'Conventional' units in the Sunrider verse?
« on: August 06, 2015, 04:36:00 am »
Just something i was wondering about, are their more 'conventional' military units in Sunrider?

We know Ryders have pretty much replaced conventional Fighter and bomber craft but i was thinking it could be possible some factions still use them, perhaps due to cheapness or due to them not having Ryder tech.

Which lead me to wonder, are their tanks, artillery and other ground based combat vehicles in sunrider? or do yous think those would those be replaced by Ryders as well? just something to think about

what would people expect conventional combat units in verse to look like?

Offline Geocorn

Re: 'Conventional' units in the Sunrider verse?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:56:42 am »
I would expect that given the lack of fighters that probably means other ground units are also replaced by mecha. But then, there are still capital ships in Sunrider... So maybe like, ridiculously large tanks? Large sea vessels too in addition to single-sailor swimming mecha.

Offline Samu-kun

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:05:21 am »
Since the Alliance uses an attack gunship inside the Ongess orbital habitat to rescue Shields, you can assume similar machinery for terrestrial operations. Sunrider's mostly about space fleet operations though, so the army, air force, and traditional navy are not in the spotlight, but they presumably exist.

It's established that ryders don't operate inside the atmosphere though, their combat capabilities are pretty much terrible against surface gravity and wind resistance. You'd need something more aerodynamic and with a better center of gravity.

Offline Heinrike

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:10:28 am »
Since the Alliance uses an attack gunship inside the Ongess orbital habitat to rescue Shields, you can assume similar machinery for terrestrial operations. Sunrider's mostly about space fleet operations though, so the army, air force, and traditional navy are not in the spotlight, but they presumably exist.

It's established that ryders don't operate inside the atmosphere though, their combat capabilities are pretty much terrible against surface gravity and wind resistance. You'd need something more aerodynamic and with a better center of gravity.

And this is where Mobile Suits entire the picture.

Spoiler

Offline ShadowX

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 12:19:32 pm »
When you say ground based Ryders, do you mean something like Mech suits? Those would be incredible, and fairly effective as ground combat units, but could be easily strafed or bombed from orbit, the issue with all ground units.
Spoiler
Your love was handmade for somebody like me
Come on now, follow my lead
I may be crazy, don't mind me
Say, boy, let's not talk too much~💕

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 05:21:52 pm »
While probably some kind of smaller and lighter ground mechs are possible, I think it would be simply easier to use tank-like vehicles and drones. Ryders have cheat Ryuvian technology, and I doubt enough of it has been deciphered to completely extrapolate it to a fairly different ground unit. Even if they somehow could, you would also have to take into account the cost: Do you want to spend a third of your R&D in such a project when in the end it will be vulnerable to attacks from orbit and unusable in space?
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline shanewallis123

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 12:58:04 am »
I would expect that given the lack of fighters that probably means other ground units are also replaced by mecha. But then, there are still capital ships in Sunrider... So maybe like, ridiculously large tanks? Large sea vessels too in addition to single-sailor swimming mecha.

Massive tanks would be interesting, something like early-ish Bolo's would probably fit well without being completly outshined by any ground based mech's

Thanks for the reply that cleared it up for me and settled a little debate i was having with a friend to  :)

I did originally think Ryders could fly in Atmo [because of the Lib Day trailer] silly me i guess.

When you say ground based Ryders, do you mean something like Mech suits? Those would be incredible, and fairly effective as ground combat units, but could be easily strafed or bombed from orbit, the issue with all ground units.

The good thing about ground units and structures is you can generally build them easier [and bigger in the cases of buildings] I would imagine 'theater' energy shields and large amount of flack/AA vehicles would mitigate Laser and missile/rocket bombardment. Though i have nothing to back that idea up with.

While probably some kind of smaller and lighter ground mechs are possible, I think it would be simply easier to use tank-like vehicles and drones. Ryders have cheat Ryuvian technology, and I doubt enough of it has been deciphered to completely extrapolate it to a fairly different ground unit. Even if they somehow could, you would also have to take into account the cost: Do you want to spend a third of your R&D in such a project when in the end it will be vulnerable to attacks from orbit and unusable in space?

It would most certainly be more effective/efficiant to use tanks and other 'conventional' units rather than mechs. Though you could possibly incorporate some of the Ryuvian tech that goes into Ryders without to much of a cost/RnD increase.

The idea of ground forces being weak against orbit is true you would still need those forces to take and hold a planet [if im remembering right thats what assault carriers/carriers are for. You couldnt just hold a planet with infantry