Author Topic: Book Recommendation and Appreciation Thread  (Read 9248 times)

Offline WeAreTheMeta

Re: Book Recommendation Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 08:24:37 pm »
... And then comes a random Dostoevskij reader.

Bless you!

Elvis Strunk [Aug 10, 2016, 12:40:11 am]:   Meta is eternally a loli~
Arraxis [Sep 23, 2016, 11:37:43 pm]:   Love you too Meta

Offline ShadowX

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 02:30:58 am »
Also, You guys might want to read the Artemis Fowl series. Not really along the lines of any other books here, but it's not a bad series.
Spoiler
Your love was handmade for somebody like me
Come on now, follow my lead
I may be crazy, don't mind me
Say, boy, let's not talk too much~💕

Offline Jynx

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 08:57:07 am »
Also, You guys might want to read the Artemis Fowl series. Not really along the lines of any other books here, but it's not a bad series.

Ehhhhh... It's a nice teenager series. I wouldn't really recommend it for 16+. Unless they published new books in a completely different style.

Offline ShadowX

Re: Book Recommendation and Appreciation Thread
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 12:41:49 am »
Now also book appreciation thread  :) Where you can grow and thrive, and your thirst for books and/or knowledge can be fulfilled.
Spoiler

Offline WhydidIbuytheunionfrigate

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 10:32:22 am »
Ok this sounds crazy, but I'm recommending a non fiction, partial economics book. To be fair, I didn't read a whole lot outside of class (AP Lit and Lang ate my passion for reading), until the summer. The book is "Freakonomics." I'll put a description here incase you're interested and/or you've already know the book.

Spoiler
It explains the misconceptions behind certain "hot topic issues" that some people believe to be true based upon conventional reasoning and how the problem is portrayed by the media and offers some very funny, but serious answers (answers, not solutions) using socio-economic theory. [\spoiler]
FE Games Played (Finished): Path of Radiance, Radiant Dawn, Binding Blade
FE Games Playing (or hiatus): Sacred Stones, Genealogy of the Holy War, Conquest
Most influential games/series: Valkyria Chronicles, Nier: Automata, Spec Ops: The Line
Worst Endgame in a Video Game I've played: FE Binding Blade (normal)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BAleNswfujYs6IuWpqzypDTqJY2_J3Av/view?usp=sharing (I made a NAO robot dance Hare Hare Yukai!)

Offline Revontulet

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 10:48:50 am »
Freakonomics is a great book :)

Also, just because I heard they are making a movie about the author's life, read the book The Infinite Jest.  Its basically about *takes a deep breath*

1) a crazy doctor who makes a movie soo entertaining, anyone who watches it will essentially die from just keep watching it
2) a germaphobe President who annexs Canada and Mexico by catapulting nuclear waste into Quebec
3) Quebecois wheel-chair assassins
4) Boston drug addicts
5) football
and...6) tennis
Deeox2 [Feb 14, 2018, 08:33:51 pm]:   I KNOW WHAT SEX IS
Milten [Sep 13, 2016, 03:31:18 pm]:   Come on, Rev's soul is 99% lewd, 1% Kurumi
Deeox2 [Dec 16, 2016, 01:31:10 am]:   ... Wow, I think Jannti broke my world solely by existing, lol.
https://youtu.be/USTCUPm5WB0

Offline Duke Rockhopper

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2015, 09:44:39 am »
I'm a bit late on this train of thought, but I'd recommend any book by Boyd Morrison. I first read his stuff on holiday a few years back and it properly fits the "thriller" description. Most of his books feature an ex-army guy and his friend going round in sort of modern-day Indiana Jones style adventures. I haven't read some of them because they don't tend to show up in British bookshops (ugh) but the ones I have were well worth it.

The Bigfoot: Curse you penguins! I knew all that waddling and falling around was a bluff|woolyshambler: frankly i'm surprised the genetically enhanced mutant penguins hadn't shown up sooner. you could say i've been expecting them. |GreyCat: duke could be better at spelling, but he chooses instead to spend his time focusing on arse|The Meta concedes Penguins are better|Deeox2: Looked like the commbox collectively lost it. Nice.|Jynx: Yandere Duke scares me... A lot.|Deeox2: Hey. It ain't lewd. I'm just waiting for Duke to kiss me|Elvis Strunk: Silly Duke. I am the woman, you are the penguin.

Offline Pal

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 08:30:37 pm »
I should have posted this the day it was talking about, but oh well.

In honor of Fox's game; Over the Hills and Far Away, and the discussion in the commbox, I'd recommend the following book for any interested in the war of 1812. It only really deals with the war on the North American continent, but will be good reading just the same for anyone interested.

Amateurs, To Arms!: A Military History Of The War Of 1812 (Major Battles & Campaigns) by John R. Elting

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline Revontulet

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 07:59:27 pm »
Another good book about World War II, but with a focus on a comming of age story with martial arts (akido) and swords -

The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng
Deeox2 [Feb 14, 2018, 08:33:51 pm]:   I KNOW WHAT SEX IS
Milten [Sep 13, 2016, 03:31:18 pm]:   Come on, Rev's soul is 99% lewd, 1% Kurumi
Deeox2 [Dec 16, 2016, 01:31:10 am]:   ... Wow, I think Jannti broke my world solely by existing, lol.
https://youtu.be/USTCUPm5WB0

Offline ShadowX

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 08:51:15 pm »
While we're on the topic of war, you guys should read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu. it's actually a nice book.
Spoiler

Offline ShadowX

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2015, 12:57:26 am »
Just finished "Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke. It's a very deep sci-fi novel.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 01:10:25 am by ShadowX »
Spoiler

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »
Hammer's Slammers
From David Drake, one of the legendary authors of the hardcore military sci-fi genre (originally in quite a large number of separate novels and short story collections, recollected as just 3 books)
There's a few full length novels and recurring characters that provides a loose overarching story, by large it's military sci-fi presented as a series of self-contained stories focusing on the "Hammer's Slammers" mercenary regiment. It's also notable that while the series is set in a futuristic setting (fusion powered hover tanks, FTL travel, lightspeed weaponry, etc), most of the stories have some basis in or inspired by historical battles.
Spoiler
The Complete Hammer's Slammers: Volume 1 (You can read The Tank Lords, one of the novel collection within the collection, on Baen's own website)
The Complete Hammer's Slammers: Volume 2
The Complete Hammer's Slammers: Volume 3

Belisarius
Collaborative series by David Drake and Eric Flint (originally 6 novels, later collected into 3 books with 2 novels each)
A sci-fi alternative history series, set in ~500 AD. After anti-transhumanism purists (Space Nazis, basically) sends a supercomputer back in time to conquer and reshape human history using the Malwa Empire, the rest of humanity sends a supercomputer of their own back in time to make its way to the hands of General Belisarius (of the Byzantine Empire). Now Belisarius must use the future knowledge provided by that computer to duplicate more advanced weaponry to counter that of the Malwa Empire, and using his own strategic genius, to fight for the future.

Ciaphas Cain
By Sandy Mitchell (9 novels so far and several short stories, the first 6 novels have been collected as two books... For some reason, the 7/8/9th books went out of print and gotten harder to find, though hopefully they'd be collected as a book too)
Set in the Warhammer 40k universe, Ciaphas Cain is an Imperial Commissar, with a long and successful career that gave him the reputation of being an invincible "Hero of the Imperium". The novels themselves are presented as his hidden autobiography found some time after his death, collected and organised by his acquaintance (and love interest) Inquisitor Amberley Vail, in which he himself claims that his reputation was mostly fraudulent. Hijinks abound, as Cain keeps using his reputation to claim that he needs to investigate some seemingly harmless location away from the most obvious dangers, but somehow inevitably always ends up stumbling onto even more dangerous enemies/plots, which only inflates his reputation and gets him thrown into even bigger dangers to protect that fraudulent(?) reputation.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 03:10:37 pm by mikebrand83 »

Offline Pal

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 12:18:02 pm »
Since axis doesn't seem to want to post this, I will, if only to have the title somewhere I can find it again. Aeronaut's Windlass.

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

Offline Arraxis

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 08:48:44 pm »
I'll add in Dresden Files and Codex Alera. All by Jim Butcher.

The Cinder Spires is the series 'The Aeronaut's Windlass' kicks off, but it has just started. It's post apocalyptic steampunk with airship battles, magic from the ether that drives people insane and talking cats that are vicious little blighters!

The Dresden Files are a series of urban fantasy/noir books written in first person style from the viewpoint of Harry Dresden, Wizard PI. They're written incredibly well, the characters are interesting, the world's mythology is consistent and interesting in how it interprets myths, legends, and fantasy, and the audiobooks are read by James Marsters who really brings everything to life.

The Codex Alera books were written as a bet - to write a good book using two bad ideas. In this case, Pokemon and the lost Roman legion. Honestly, I think there's a bit of Avatar: The Last Airbender in there, too - anyway, do you want Romans with elemental spirit magic in a fantasy world with giant barbarians with demon bird comrades, swarms of giant insects and humanoid wolf raiders from across the sea? Check this out.

Offline BlackStarLine

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 07:42:07 pm »
Here's the book series I've been wittering on about today: Predator Cities by Philip Reeve.

It's a steam-punkish series and it's absolutely amazing. You will be hooked after the first couple of pages.