Author Topic: Planet classes  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Ledabot

Planet classes
« on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:59 am »
I'm wondering what the significance of planet classes is. From what we have seen, we have

We have seen 3 different worlds so far, but I can't really see much difference between Cera and Versta. They are class 11 and 8 respectively but they both seem to be Earthlike worlds. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Vaendryl

Re: Planet classes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 02:39:15 am »
I'm wondering what the significance of planet classes is. From what we have seen, we have

We have seen 3 different worlds so far, but I can't really see much difference between Cera and Versta. They are class 11 and 8 respectively but they both seem to be Earthlike worlds. Anyone have any ideas?

I haven't a clue, but wasn't Tyderia a hostile mining world of class 3? seems like higher is better in a 'nice place to live' way.

I think we need an earth for scale.
(╯░□░)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Samu-kun

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 02:49:34 am »
The class level denotes general suitability for human colonization.

A class 11 planet's pretty comfortable, just a bit more habitable than modern Earth. Class 8 isn't as ideal, but generally survivable without any terraforming. (Kinda like Canada.) Class 7 is kinda like Russia or Egypt (very cold or dry, but the best parts are habitable.)

Class 3 (Tydaria) is like modern Mars. Habitation is only possible in limited terraformed areas or in capsules. Otherwise, most of the planet's surface is deadly without life support equipment.

Class 1 is pretty much like Mercury. Permanent human habitation is impossible, aside from mining or research facilities.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:54:25 am »
From what you say, Earth would fit in as a 10 on the scale? That makes scene. Very metric.

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:28:29 pm »
While Samu-shamu is in here Gorchnik has another question about your "worlds" you have created.  Are they inhabited by anything other than humans?  So far that is all we've seen in your game and Gorchnik wonders if in your plot you have actually designed, developed, or created other races as well?  If you have do they all resemble humanoids, bi-pedal, 2 limbs per side, etc?

The main question Gorchnik surmises is: are there only humanoids in your story?

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:43:43 pm »
I recall reading at one point that humans are most likely the only sentient beings in the Sunrider universe, for one reason or another (read : they killed all the others). So we'll likely only encounter humans, and mabe some really atypical animals (read : space whales) during our journey.

Offline mikebrand83

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:58:43 pm »
I recall reading at one point that humans are most likely the only sentient beings in the Sunrider universe, for one reason or another (read : they killed all the others). So we'll likely only encounter humans, and mabe some really atypical animals (read : space whales) during our journey.
Here you go. ;)

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 02:09:24 am »
Yeah Gorchnik didn't have a lot of time to read through the comments in the early Kickstarter period.  Thanks for sharing.  Interesting little bit of lore there given how most authors always considers aliens to be way above and beyond our level of technology and comprehension.

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 09:25:54 am »
While Samu-shamu is in here Gorchnik has another question about your "worlds" you have created.  Are they inhabited by anything other than humans?

Sola killed the last living bird... from the moon.

Offline Endershadow

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 03:10:13 am »
The class level denotes general suitability for human colonization.

A class 11 planet's pretty comfortable, just a bit more habitable than modern Earth. Class 8 isn't as ideal, but generally survivable without any terraforming. (Kinda like Canada.) Class 7 is kinda like Russia or Egypt (very cold or dry, but the best parts are habitable.)

Class 3 (Tydaria) is like modern Mars. Habitation is only possible in limited terraformed areas or in capsules. Otherwise, most of the planet's surface is deadly without life support equipment.

Class 1 is pretty much like Mercury. Permanent human habitation is impossible, aside from mining or research facilities.

Would a gas planet be Class 0 or Class 1? And would a star be CLASS_OF_GAS_PLANET - 1?

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 03:39:14 am »
Would a gas planet be Class 0 or Class 1? And would a star be CLASS_OF_GAS_PLANET - 1?
I'd say a gas giant would be class 0 and stars would have their own class system.
(╯░□░)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 04:09:12 am »
Stars have their own class system already. The sun is a G2 class star. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectral_classification

Gas giants are actually classified by the type of gas clouds they are made from too. The ones in our solar system are all Class 1 since they are so far from the sun.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:12:21 am by Ledabot »

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 04:11:41 am »
And would a star be CLASS_OF_GAS_PLANET - 1?

A planet is a celestial body moving in an elliptical orbit around a star. So yeah, a star is not a planet.

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 04:13:28 am »
A large star could be orbited by a small star though. Not too sure how to draw the line though.

Offline Oreo_Blue

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 04:22:42 am »
A large star could be orbited by a small star though. Not too sure how to draw the line though.

The definiton of a star according to Merriam Webster: any one of the objects in space that are made of burning gas and that look like points of light in the night sky. However, some other definitions added "appearing as FIXED luminous points".