Author Topic: Proposal: Melee Dash-cut for the Pheonix, and perhaps other ryders  (Read 5829 times)

Offline NewAgeOfPower

Isn't it weird how after performing an melee attack animation, where the attacking Ryder [For example, the Pheonix] cuts through the enemy Ryder and then returns back to the original starting hex?

Shouldn't the attacking Ryder have moved after performing a cut?

For game programming simplicity, you could have it work only when the attack has successfully killed it's target, and the attacker is teleported onto the defending hex. This would significantly increase Icari's efficiency in murdering swarms of enemy Ryders.
Working on a collaborative Sci-fi novella. Teaser here.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Offline mikebrand83

Re: Proposal: Melee Dash-cut for the Pheonix, and perhaps other ryders
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 02:24:42 am »
You mean something like Chess, where the attacking unit takes over the space previously occupied by the unit it destroyed?

Offline Histidine

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:44:47 am »
So long as I also get a 10 energy refund on the attack (to retreat the extra tile if I need to).

(it'd also potentially give even more mayhem against swarms of weaker ryders, heh)

Offline NewAgeOfPower

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 03:51:24 am »
You mean something like Chess, where the attacking unit takes over the space previously occupied by the unit it destroyed?

Only for melee attacks. Have you watched Samurai Jack? Remember his awesome dash-cuts?

Offline Geocorn

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 12:10:11 pm »
Makes a lot of sense. Why do they retreat back to the original hex if the enemy was destroyed. But like Hyun-ae there said, you don't always want that. Like say you had like 3 Ryders in a cluster. If you melee one of them, now you're adjacent to two of them. Does that aggro them into firing on you? And what if you're out of energy? You're so vulnerable next turn. On the flip side, it would enable Icari to just plow through a whole like of Ryders without needing to spend energy on movement. I think while the way it works might not seem logical, it would have negative balancing issues.

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 07:52:41 am »
wouldn't be hard to code at all, but you'll have to convince Sam :P
not sure of it myself either. sometimes you -really- don't want to also move and to make it optional would be a real nightmare.
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline NewAgeOfPower

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:01 am »
Hyun suggested making it refund the movement cost, but that would impose balancing issues.

Overall, I feel it would make the pheonix significantly stronger.

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:41:56 am »
Hyun suggested making it refund the movement cost, but that would impose balancing issues.

Overall, I feel it would make the pheonix significantly stronger.
I think it would make her die a ton more. shouldn't she trigger another counter attack for moving into the new location? will she have enough energy to move back to safety afterwards? if anything, it'd make melee even more situational as staying put is safer in nearly all cases.
(╯□)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Marx-93

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 11:06:38 am »
I'm not sure of it too, but it sems like an interesting idea.

It shouldn't trigger counter-attacks though, and it makes sense: the enemy that has just killed your ally and taken his positions means that he has broken through your position already, it wouldn't be logic for the Ryders to simply aim as if waiting for their ally to die. It's a surprise attack on all levels, before you realize it the Ryder is already there.

Overall, it would make the Phoenix die a lot easier, specially as 7.2 makes lasers harder overall on the Phoenix, but it would also increase its utility a lot on some missions, and add a complex element. Maybe adding it as mod, and seeing what people think would be the best?
Why can only the evil have empires, power and majestic theme music? I reclaim the possibility of creating the Federal-democratic-free Empire! A (democratic) tyranny fueled by the Power of Love!

Started writing. You can check it out here: Home

Offline Jynx

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:02:23 pm »
I don't like that much the idea.
It would make the Phoenix even more exposed to the enemy, especially if such a movement triggers counter-attacks. Generally, it would imply even less use of Melee attacks (it might be only my style, but I use them only in "hit and run" tactics) and, in the end, break the balance of the game.

Offline Merne23

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 07:40:36 am »
Of the 'does it proc counters,' I'll not speak.

What if the Dash-Cut was another attack able to be made by the Phoenix which causes less damage, costs less to activate (by at least 10, base) but moves the Phoenix to the defeated hex afterward? I'm not sure about putting it on, say, Blackjack, which already has a lot of attack options (and I personally NEVER use in melee), but mayhaps this would work for the Phoenix.

woolyshambler [Aug16, 2015, 10:13PM]: ah Merne, they should give you the RP guru badge. Deeox2 [Feb26, 2017, 02:03am]: SO WE GET ON ANOTHER BOAT AND FUCK OFF TO ANTARCTICA.  Elvis Strunk [Feb05, 2018, 01:31am]:   "Two Pilots and all the Eva just died." "Oh. ****." Revontulet [Feb05, 2018, 04:11pm]: That KOTATSU be miiine Deeox2 [Feb28, 18,12:53am]: I'm gonna give Bea a dong.
Choice Music: https://youtu.be/n55QVlBoDxI  https://youtu.be/PLEQGywWbV0  https://youtu.be/0-8gwx71B0U  https://youtu.be/kfgmMPke7_k  https://youtu.be/VhGp8Id0HRU

Offline Jynx

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 09:23:39 am »
If you implement it as an extra attack option I'm fine with it (remember, I'm just on the user part of the deal, I have no idea how complicate it might be to code such a thing). Giving more possibilities on the battlefield is always cool.

However, I feel it should trigger counter-attacks, or at least cost the same energy as your standard melee attack.

Offline NewAgeOfPower

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 03:22:21 am »
-snip-

I don't know if it should trigger counterattacks, as you already triggered counterattacks on the approach, and once you start dashing you're moving dramatically faster than before. Plus, attempting to shoot you down would probably result in a ton of friendly fire.

Then again, PACT doesn't seem to care about friendly fire.

I think making the Dash-cut a separate button entirely is a great idea.

Offline Histidine

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 05:46:47 am »
If we're adding active abilities, a spin blade or omnislash-style attack to hit targets in multiple hexes would probably be more interesting.

For extra fun: make it only usable if Phoenix drops to under 20% health and call it a "limit break." In fact, every player ryder (and the Sunrider) should get one!

Offline Geocorn

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 06:26:41 am »
Well it's important to note that the ships aren't to scale. Ryders in adjacent tiles are fairly far apart assuming the hex is the size of a capital ship. Not like miles apart, but far enough to make it practical for one Ryder to hit multiple Ryders in one attack

134 Guests, 0 Users