Author Topic: Harness for my pooch  (Read 188 times)

Offline Anita Brott

Harness for my pooch
« on: July 06, 2017, 08:46:32 am »
Guys, I have a little problem here, I usually take my dog with me during long trips. I always buckle him up so he'll keep still while I'm driving. The problem is, he doesn't feel comfortable with the seat belt on him. Can you recommend a good harness for medium sized dogs?  Thanks in advance.

Offline WhydidIbuytheunionfrigate

Re: Harness for my pooch
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 02:16:50 pm »
Ah... Ok, so when we take our dog out on rides, we use the harness plus a 'doggie seat belt' attachment device (it's more like a simple short buckle) that we loop around the harness and the diagonal part of the seat belt (buckle it first).

So my question is, are you asking for a general harness, like the one that you would use to walk your dog, or a specialize harness to hold you dog to a seat belt?

Out dog is a lab mix, med. dog by the way, so I kind of understand. Oh and if you need pics to better understand what I'm talking about, just ask and I'll try to get it.

(I made the second Pic)

Offline Anita Brott

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:32:49 am »
Thanks for that suggestion.
Just an update. I came across this dog harness while I'm searching online. Is this a good brand? Any thoughts?

Offline WhydidIbuytheunionfrigate

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 02:51:52 pm »
Honestly, brands don't matter as much as you think. Material durability is what matters the most and we've gotten cheap toys and devices that were better than some more expensive looking ones.

The product shown on the site is a specialized harness for car rides and what I said earlier was that you might not need that if you already own a walking harness.

How do you walk your dog normally? Gentle Leader? Harness? Collar? Etc.

Our harness is a K9 Explorer
Spoiler

We use this for walking mostly, but again, if you attach a simple buckle through the harness and attach it to the seatbelt, it works just the same as a specialized harness.

Now in saying this, if you really want a car harness, I suggest you go to a pet store and talk to the people there. If they're worth their salt, they should recommend something that you know will fit and/or might allow you to try a harness on. Seeing the item up close will also allow you to judge how good the material is and whether or not your doggie likes it.

(I made the second Pic)