Author Topic: Your Favorite Works of Fiction  (Read 2988 times)

Offline The Loli Assassin

Your Favorite Works of Fiction
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:16:08 am »
Post your lists of your favorite works of fiction here, along with an explanation if you feel so inclined. Don't forget these lists are strictly the opinions of those who have posted them, they might not match up with or agree with yours; please be respectful.

My "Top 10" list is:

1. Dance in the Vampire Bund - Nozomu Tamaki

Pretty much the best thing I've read up to this point I think the series is everything a good vampire series should be, it's violent and sexual, and it isn't apologetic about it. It also shows how a society of vampires (and some other supernatural creatures) could live and integrate with our modern world, add in a cast of fantastic characters and the series just makes it impossible to put down. I also have to mention the art, which is fantastically detailed while also being perfectly clear at all times. I also have to mention the very well done anime series, which is worth a viewing if only because the story is changed in some ways. The English dub is also very well done with Monica Rial completely owning the role of Mina.

2. Katawa Shoujo - Four Leaf Studios

I first played Katawa Shoujo in early February of 2012, just after it's release and just about a month after I started watching anime. I had intended for it to be a simple gateway into the world of Visual Novels but after finishing the first arc just a couple hours later, the game had truly embedded itself in me. An extraordinary cast of characters with one of the most sincere stories I've ever read and some wonderful music make this game almost more of an experience than anything else.

3. The Bakemonogatari Series - Shaft

What's so great about a show that's 80% people talking in a room? You know I really couldn't tell you, but I love it to death anyways. A unique art style and quirky, yet wonderful characters have kept me watching this show since I first discovered it.

4. Listen to Me Girls, I'm Your Father - feel.

A story about a college student who suddenly finds himself as the sole guardian of his sister's three daughters ages 14, 10 and 3 and the difficulties they all have to overcome. It excellently balances comedic moments with emotional drama, however it loses some points for it's occasional, awkward fan-service and sometimes bizarre characters.

5. Kodomo no Jikan - Kaworu Watashiya

Probably the most controversial item on this list, Kodomo no Jikan tells the story of third grader Rin and how she falls in love with her teacher. While the series contains many themes and story lines that are frowned upon by today's society, the underlying story of growing up and how it effects children should not be overlooked. Though this series is certainly not for everyone.

6. The Mass Effect series - EA/Bioware

While I contend that he second game is just one long, painfully boring series of fetch quests, the first and third games really stand out as some of the best games of the last generation. Even with a less than perfect ending these games will take you on a long and action filled adventure through space, filled with some of the best locations and companions I've ever seen in video games.

7. Borderlands series - 2K/Gearbox

Who doesn't want to have a gazillion guns? Beyond it's selection of firearms though, Borderlands has one of the coolest fictional universes in video games, even if the story that takes you through that world isn't actually that great.

8. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Kyoto Animation

While some might be disappointed that this absolutely fantastic series is so low on my list there's one big reason why it is so low; out of over two seasons worth of episodes, only about half of a seasons worth of those episodes are relevant to the plot the rest are just filler, even if they are very good filler. Also the Endless Eight, Worst. Story arc. Ever.

9. Bodacious Space Pirates - Satelight

It's a story about a high school girl who becomes a space pirate, while it takes it's time with it's story the whole package is more than worth a look.

10. To-Love Ru - Saki Hasemi/Kentaro Yabuki

Pretty much my definition of "guilty pleasure" I just can't help but love the characters, the insane fan-service and outrageous story lines make this the perfect story for when you just don't want to take your entertainment too seriously.

Each item's credits are listed for the most relevant version of each item, not necessarily the original author/studio.
"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline Endershadow

Re: Your Favorite Works of Fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:50:12 am »
I definitely agree with 2, 8, and 10. I also did start to watch 5, but I stopped in the middle. I'll probably finish it sometime before the next millennium. Here's my top 10
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
  • Kill la Kill
  • To Love-Ru
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Death Note
  • Soul Eater
  • Highschool DxD
  • Date a Live
  • Oreimo
  • Strike Witches

Please be careful not to fall into any holes in reality caused by my reality hole generator. If you do fall in though, I can assure you that there will be no adverse side effects except for the following: instantaneous mutation, loss of 1 or more vital organs, turning into banana pudding, amnesia, loss/growth of 1 or more limbs, additional vital organs, loss of DNA, insanity, hallucinations, destruction of the fabric of space and time, redundancy, redundancy, a craving for apples, the ability to see shinigami, for females: an erection lasting more than 4 hours, for males: extremely painful menstrual cramps, testicular inversion, gender swapping, the urge to watch my little pony, and/or death

Offline Ledabot

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:49 am »
 I can agree on some of those, but I haven't seen others. What other people like is a good way to add things to my things to watch list. I can't bring myself to write such a long post so I might keep this to a top - (whatever I get to before I get sick of typing). It's also always fin to put things you like into imdb and see how much fatguys hate what you love.  :'( That said, Dragon ball takes 5 spots in the top 100 tv series. Actually, this may be harder than comparing apples to oranges. I have to put these in no particular order since they are from different media and as such I can compare them too well.

Pokemon in all its colours

No other piece of fiction has taken more of my life than this one. I've played these games since I got blue when I was 10 and still play them, though somewhat less often. That doesn't even include all the other random stuff I've absorbed over the years such as the show and the card game.

Steins;Gate

Now I've never played the game, but I still love the show. There's a good reason that so many love it and that's because its a dam gripping story with great characters that aren't quite stereotypes. Sometimes that's all it really takes to make something good.

Code geass

This is probably my 'old' favourite show. I still love the thing dearly and I've rewatched this more than anything else. Its 50 episodes all up making it quite a feat.

Warhammer 40k

The game is the source of much rage whenever a new edition comes out but despite all that, I've always found it great fun. The background has just the right mix of kickass and humour that its really quite good all on its own too. I must say it kept me playing much longer than the cost of the models or anything else. If another video game come out for this, I will totally get it.

The monster blood tattoo or foundling series (licensed differently in the US)

Written by D. M. Cornish, this series seems to be quite the overlooked series. Not many series seem to be this deep and rich in material. It is a bit of a teenager series though so it might not appeal to adults as much being a coming of age story of sorts.

The long earth series

Written by both Stephan Baxter and Terry Prachet, this series, (which is still ongoing) is very good. I don't have much to say that doesn't spoil but it's basically a what if of if you could travel to a different reality of Earth.

I got nothing else really. The shows I named are already big names so do what you will with them. In a somewhat other stuff ranking I have things like the world god only knows, madoka magica, soul eater, spice and wolf, Nichijou, Anohana, Azumanga diaoh, kamisama hajimemashita. The list goes on.

Offline Aggressive Pacifist

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:43:01 pm »
I absolutely loved Code Geass, it was the first anime I watched and insipred me to start exploring the genre, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is definitely one of my favourites too. I've always liked the Warhammer 40k universe and its books, I played its first 3 RTS games as well (Dawn of War, Winter Assault and Dark Crusade) but I heard that series went downhill from there. Makes me wonder what W40k would be like as an anime...
"Don't be distracted by the what-ifs, should-haves, and if-onlys. The one thing you choose yourself - that is the truth of your universe."
-Kamina

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 05:39:55 pm »
My favorite works of fiction, eh? Well, aside from Fire Emblem, Higurashi, and Angel Beats!, which I've mentioned before, I'd also have to include the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman (and in fact every book by Rob Thurman, though that series is probably my favorite), all of the works of Stephen King that I've read, with my favorites being Insomnia, Cell, Under the Dome, and every short story he ever wrote, the television series Supernatural, The Passage by Justin Cronin, even if I've never gotten around to reading the sequel, and the fanfic Asleep by Gone2groundEX.

Yes, I have an odd list of favorite things, most picked because of my love of reading or my love of supernatural mystery stories. I do have other things I like a lot, but I think these are my favorite items in their respective categories.

Offline Lord Gorchnik

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »
Hoh! So you wish to know your new Lord's personal favorites eh?  Rejoice for her shall impart his glorious wisdom upon thee!

Books - The Belgariad and Mallorean Series by David Eddings
Movies - 300 and Saving Private Ryan (Despite them both being based on real-life)
Games - Quest for Glory Series by Sierra
Anime - Banner of the Stars (can you guess why I backed this project?)
Manga - GetBackers
Light Novel - Spice and Wolf/Banner of the Stars

208 Guests, 1 User