Poll

What games would you like to see me play?

Civilization V (All expansions, no mods)
7 (17.5%)
XCOM: Enemy Within (no mods)
16 (40%)
Anno 2070 (Base game, no DLC)
6 (15%)
Dawn of Discovery Gold
4 (10%)
Sim City 4/2013 (Some DLCs and Expansions)
4 (10%)
Other kinds of games (FPS, etc.)
3 (7.5%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Loli Plays - Measuring Interest and a Poll  (Read 37392 times)

Offline The Loli Assassin

Loli Plays - Measuring Interest and a Poll
« on: November 06, 2014, 01:45:22 am »
So I generally quite enjoy playing strategy games that take more than one session to play, games like Civilization, XCOM, and Anno/Dawn of Discovery. I also enjoy hearing stories like the one about the guy who's been playing a game of Civ 2 for the last decade, far into a hellish nuclear future. I'm wondering if there's anybody here on the forum who would like to watch a series (or multiple series) of videos where I play these kinds of games with commentary on how and why I'm doing what I'm doing. It's worth noting that while I'd like to think I'm pretty good at these kinds of games, I'm not great and I will make mistakes and at least one season will end with my failure. However I think that's part of the fun and watching someone who's an expert and is capable of getting through any situation unscathed can get boring after a while. The general plan is to pre-record each episode which might last anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes each with commentary and release them throughout the week. Check the list below for links to the games in the poll.

Keep in mind that I will probably play any game on this list at some point, though I might prioritize some games over others depending on how popular they are in the poll and how much enjoyment I personally get out of a given game.

This series is not a replacement for the podcast, we will still be recording those as we always have, this would be a separate project from that, though it would still be hosted on my Youtube channel.

[EXCESS STUFF DELETED]

"Wishlist" These are games I'm planning to or want to play, but can't afford yet, if for some reason you want to buy one for me I won't complain, but only if you want to. Prices may change as sales/price changes happen, I won't be updating this list often, so double check things. (PM ME FIRST SO WE CAN SORT OUT DETAILS)

SpaceCom $14.99 http://store.steampowered.com/app/263860 Looks like a fun, top down RTS I could make an interesting series out of.

Grand Ages: Medieval (no price listed, not available yet) http://store.steampowered.com/app/310470 I very cool looking medieval strategy/simulation I'm keeping my eyes on, due out some time this year.

Alone in the Dark: Illumination $29.99 http://store.steampowered.com/app/275060 Honestly this game looks mediocre at best, and the devs have a pretty crap history too, but it looks like something I could enjoy making fun of and possibly playing in a group.

Homeworld Remastered $29.74 http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160 The best space RTS hands down and one of the all time greatest RTSes period, I'd love to play this in a series, both the single player and multiplayer.

Grand Theft Auto V $59.99 http://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/ Played to death by every Youtuber ever, there isn't anything I can really add to the coverage this game has, beyond bringing my own brand of madness into it's world.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 06:53:40 am by The Loli Assassin »
"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline AkioKlaus

Re: Loli Plays - Measuring Interest and a Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 01:58:12 am »
heard wasteland is interesting.
Currently- No good college game design student, too much anime in life
-Ai,doru Daisuki!-

Offline Elvis Strunk

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:02:01 am »
I'd enjoy watching you take a crack at Civilization IV or V. So long as it ends better than the ill-fated Mass Effect campaign.

I also vote that, as with said Mass Effect campaign, your main goal is to kill absolutely everyone, especially the innocent people.

Offline Pal

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:03:47 am »
your main goal is to kill absolutely everyone, especially the innocent people.
+1 Regardless of the game.

Heinrike [Nov 10, 2016, 11:00:11 am]: I'm bored too, but otherwise bored  Elvis Strunk [Dec 14, 2015, 01:43:59 AM]: Would make it easier to keep track of all the characters, at least. "They're all dead."
Eonymia [Dec 15, 2016, 10:14:17 pm]: Losers don't win, do drugs Arraxis [Feb 18, 2017, 03:12:47 am]: Slither me timbers

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:14:12 am »
your main goal is to kill absolutely everyone, especially the innocent people.
+1 Regardless of the game.

This is always my goal.

The problem I ended up having with Mass Effect was that I didn't enjoy the "you guys tell me how to play" aspect of things as much as I thought I might.
"A large [enemy] fleet has been [detected]. They are fifteen miles away and headed in our direction. They are believed to have four battleships, eight cruisers, and a number of destroyers. This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Ernest E. Evans, Commander, USS Johnston (DD-557)

Offline Drath

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 04:17:26 am »
From your list, my pick would be XCOM.

Other suggestions:
Aarklash Legacy (4 man party RTS with pause, medium length, different upgrade trees for all characters, item light system, some puzzles)

Warlock 2: The Exiled (TBS using overland hex map, medium-long length, good variety of units/buildings/spells)

Any Heroes of Might and Magic game, except HoMM4 (but preferably the older ones). At least I can comment better on those :P

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 06:36:22 am »
the ones you listed are fun but I've seen them a lot already. played most of'em too.
I'd be more interested in you playing pandora: first contact or civ:beyond earth.
also endless legend and endless space.
and distant worlds.
age of wonders 3 looks good...
Eador: Masters of the Broken World?

whatever you do, play on a level of difficulty that you feel it's a 50/50 chance of you actually losing. sucks for you, but to the viewer that makes it far more exciting!  also, even if you lose we get our laughs anyway.  muhahaha  ;D
(╯°□°)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 07:14:31 am »
From your list, my pick would be XCOM.

Other suggestions:
Aarklash Legacy (4 man party RTS with pause, medium length, different upgrade trees for all characters, item light system, some puzzles)

Warlock 2: The Exiled (TBS using overland hex map, medium-long length, good variety of units/buildings/spells)

Any Heroes of Might and Magic game, except HoMM4 (but preferably the older ones). At least I can comment better on those :P

Aarklash isn't really my kind of game, so it's unlikely you'll see me playing it, Warlock 2 looks pretty good, but I'm disastrously low on money right now so there's no hope for me to buy it.

the ones you listed are fun but I've seen them a lot already. played most of'em too.
I'd be more interested in you playing pandora: first contact or civ:beyond earth.
also endless legend and endless space.
and distant worlds.
age of wonders 3 looks good...
Eador: Masters of the Broken World?

whatever you do, play on a level of difficulty that you feel it's a 50/50 chance of you actually losing. sucks for you, but to the viewer that makes it far more exciting!  also, even if you lose we get our laughs anyway.  muhahaha  ;D

Endless Legend is pretty good, but I've had issues keeping my interest with the game beyond the first few hours plus the combat is boring so I always auto-resolve, Endless Space is good, but it's kinda soulless and the combat is also lacking.

Distant Worlds is a series I've wanted to get into for some time, but unfortunately I've never been able to get my hands on a copy.

Age of Wonders is a beautiful game, but it lacks depth as an empire building game, that and I don't own a copy of my own.

Eador is also pretty good, but I never got very far into it and I found the mechanics to be a bit clunky, I'd want to learn the mechanics first if I was going to play it.

I don't want to seem like I'm just shooting down all your ideas, I'm just pointing out why they may not have been included here. There is always a distinct possibility that these games could be included in the near future.

In terms of difficulty, I plan to play on medium difficulty levels, like you said, somewhere where I'm challenged enough to make it interesting, though the actual difficulty level might differ depending on how experienced I am with a game.

At the moment it looks like XCOM is coming out in first with Civ V and Sim City taking up the rear. I'll probably start recording with XCOM tomorrow and begin a new Civ match within the next few days, Sim City will probably follow around the same time as Civ. Anno 2070 and Dawn of Discovery will stay as backups in case I become unable to complete one of the other three games. Like I said I'll also keep the other games suggested here in mind, if you guys have any other suggestions for games you'd like to see me play feel free to suggest them as you already have or take a look at my Steam Library here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/theloliassassin/games/?tab=all&sort=name for a searchable list of all 409 games I own on Steam. You can also view my UPlay and Origin accounts as an image here:

If you see a game on one of these lists that doesn't fit the theme of "long form strategy," but you'd like to see me play them in an individual episode, feel free to suggest it as well. Though I should note that horror games probably won't be high on my list of games to play, I genuinely dislike be scared in games, even less so publicly.

Anyways, expect XCOM Episode 1 within a day or two.

Offline Vaendryl

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 11:58:38 am »
I think 'the sims' could end up being pretty funny depending on how you play it :p
(╯°□°)╯︵ uoıʇdǝɔxǝ
latest version: 7.2
RTFW
Mark 5:9

Offline Napsy NAPS

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 01:18:48 pm »
For me, I think a relaxed Civ 5 campagin would do the trick.
And remember conquer and crush everyone ,have fun. :3

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 03:06:08 pm »
So I'm going to be recording XCOM in about five or six hours, I tried to get a custom name file set up using members of the forums, but XCOM just doesn't seem to want to use it. That said, let me know if any of you want to be included in my squad and I'll make a custom soldier for you.

Offline Napsy NAPS

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 03:13:10 pm »
So I'm going to be recording XCOM in about five or six hours, I tried to get a custom name file set up using members of the forums, but XCOM just doesn't seem to want to use it. That said, let me know if any of you want to be included in my squad and I'll make a custom soldier for you.
Can't you simply change the nicknames of the troops? I want sniper xP

Offline Megillot

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:20:10 pm »

Assuming your avatar will survive until getting sergeant rank, which may not always be the case.

Offline Napsy NAPS

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:23:13 pm »

Assuming your avatar will survive until getting sergeant rank, which may not always be the case.

I know, but once you get 2 high level snipers, the game turns out to be a lot more easier

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 04:49:02 pm »
Would you like me to make you an image for this too? Using your pixel art avatar or something?

Also, I never asked any of you guys but are you happy with your pixel representations?

I would adore having art for these projects, but I feel bad that I can't compensate you for the time you're putting into these though.

188 Guests, 0 Users